Opinions Please :)

BabyHaines

Mummy to baby George!!
Reaction score
Evenin' to all you NP lovelies :)
I have just been thinking (uh-oh) and wondered what you all thought....
I've noticed that there's often new mums that post in here, that are concerned about co-sleeping. Even if it's not something they intend/ed to do, many people find (quite rightly) that it's the only way to get some sleep.

What about having a sticky with hints and tips for safe co-sleeping? Vici & I and some of our b.a.b.i.e.s volunteers are due to do the Unicef BF training & I know they cover safe co-sleeping.
Maybe I could write something up once I've finished the course? Then I'd be directly quoting the Unicef guidelines?

I just really feel for people who are terrified of co-sleeping, because of all the wrong information people were given and I hate to think of people struggling every night with little or no sleep, propped up dangerously on their sofas :(

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea, personally!

It is a good idea but you have have trouble getting them to sticky something else as I think we already have a lot up there! :) No harm in asking of course.

Great idea.. Would be really interested in reading that. I love co sleeping but only do it for naps. At night, Adam sleeps in his cot, right next to our bed with the side down so its still kinda co sleeping but not the whole hog iykwim.

Would love to do this all the time though so a sticky would be grand! x

I would olve to co sleep but too nervous. If I know how to safely I would do

love it!
Re it being stickied.. you could possibly get littlestar to link the cloth nappy/wipes review threads to the first post in the CLoth nappies - getting started/FAQs sticky and then we could lose the one stircrazy did which is really just a thread with a link to another thread anyway,.
that way we're not actually getting another sticky, jusy putting a co-sleeping one up there,.

Good thinking Kota ;)
I just feel so strongly about mums knowing how to safely co-sleep.
I have quite a bit to do with our local midwives and our mternity unit at the hospital, and I know that the NHS are slowly starting to change their stance on it.
Xxxx

I wish more people accepted it as even just another way of doing things.. some of the reactions i've had when people find out we co sleep. :(

We personally won't be doing it but I have absolutley nothing against it and think it would be a brilliant read for people who did want to, or even people like me just to get some honest info - I am interested in everything whether we want to do it or not...information is power and all that!

Go for it :thumbup:

xxx

I think that is a great idea :thumbup:

We personally won't be doing it but I have absolutley nothing against it and think it would be a brilliant read for people who did want to, or even people like me just to get some honest info - I am interested in everything whether we want to do it or not...information is power and all that!

Go for it :thumbup:

xxx

This is exactly where I'm coming from Pops. I was the same as you and never thought for a minute that we would co-sleep. I had nothing against it, but just thought 'we won't be doing it'. I can't explain enough how baby's arriv can just turn all your ideas and ideals on their head abd you have to set about doing things differently. I remember my MW saying new parents often feel like their 'learning to survive'.

I really, really think that everyone should know how to do it safely, in order to remain sane! Just think of the extra hours if sleep mum could be getting at the start....sheer bliss!!

i agree it's important to get this info out there! i've coslept with 3 out of 4 of my children safely. When the health visitor came at around 2 weeks we weren't cosleeping with Noah (Just Ethan :giggle:) , she started her usual talk about safe sleeping, and i decided i was fed up of nodding my head and told her that no, if Noah is unsettled he will be coming into our bed just like the others had done safely. She practically told me i was killing my baby, kept going on about a baby that had died in the next town, but when i questioned her about it it was on the sofa so i told her how i believe it is important to let parents know how they can get a decent night's sleep with a 'fussy' baby rather than trying to stay awake and cuddle on a chair/sofa or even sat up in bed

Well done 4boys, you tell that HV!! lol
It's such a shame to hear of health professionals that still quote old info. Thankfuly (due to the Unicef 'Baby Friendly' Initiative) most HV's and MW's are slowly, slowly receiving the updated training (to include 'rooming in, info on safe co-sleeping etc, etc.).

It seriously worries me though, that potentially, some parents are put off of doing the right thing, and actually pushed towards the danger areas (falling asleep on the sofa etc, etc) by people that should know better!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

On a plus side. Our local hospital are looking at introducing co-sleeping cots onto their high dependency recovery wards (to enable C-Sec mummies to pick baby up easier) - yippee!! xxxx

what a fab thing your hospital is doing. As a section mum twice over I would have loved this. he slept on me after he was born and i kept getting moved back o his cot by a midwife, only for him to cry and have to buzz the midwife to pass him to me :growlmad:

I think this would be great. I said I wasn't going to co-sleep but one night, one minute I was feeding Albert sitting up in bed and the next minute I was being woken up my Mum near enough screaming her head off because Albert was under my duvet (all she saw were his feet sticking out).

I'd fallen asleep because I was just so tired. I'm so glad I wasn't on the sofa because he would have ended up on the floor or between me and the armrest :( So now, Albert goes down in his moses basket, I prepare my bed, have a bit of reading time and when he wakes up for his first night feed he comes into the bed SAFELY with me and stays there until morning.

Sahara - I was the same :( after my c-sec they put George in a crib at the bottom of my bed!! Gah!!
DopeyJoey - that's exactly the problem. If people safely did it in the first place....
Glad all was ok & that you're now sleeping well xxxx

I think its a great idea. I wasnt planning to co-sleep but LO is a terrible sleeper & its been a lifesaver. Like 4boys I told my HV that we co-sleep & was made to feel like I was going to kill her. I got the most disapproving look followed by information on how to get her into her cot. Incidentally, this basically involved CC & Charlotte was only 3 months at the time!!! If I get asked by a professional now, I just lie & say she sleeps in her cot as I cant be bothered with the hassle.

Hi there,

I'm terrified of co-sleeping, I guess because of all the bad press it gets!! I would love to know how to do it safely!

Generally Ethan sleeps pretty well in his crib, but he often wakes up about 5am and snuffles so badly that he gets distressed and bringing him with me is the only way to get that last 1-2 hours sleep.

I fell asleep the other day and within probably about 10 mins, DH was up had him back in his crib as he was so scared (I got a look too - lol!!). I laid with him in the crook of my arm in his baby sleepbag and with no covers on either of us. I have no idea if this is a safe way of doing it :shrug:

I will look out for this thread.
xx

GREAT idea! I was terrified of doing this and felt I was doing something wrong. To this day I lie to health professionals and other mums and say he sleeps in his cot :wacko: xx

ETA: Having now read the whole thread. I also was in the "we would never co sleep camp." Until Edward was a baby that had to have his skin in contact with someone else's to sleep. Me and OH spent the first 3 weeks of his life alternating who would stay up all night in order to hold him on the sofa or lie with him on our chest in bed. Then one day I fell asleep with Edward snuggled into my arm and we got a good few hours undisturbed. The duvet was much lower than him and we slept great. Then I decided I still wasn't 100% happy, so I bought a snuggle nest. It was honestly the very best £15 I have spent on anything for Edward. He's in our bed, can smell us, feel my breathing and our weight on the mattress, yet he's still in his own little bed :)

I would advise anyone who wants to co sleep but is still a bit iffy to look into them. They've a solid base with air holes for good air circulation, then a mattress and then two sleep positioners to keep baby in one place. The nest also has raised sides about 7 inches high that are solid so you can't roll onto baby :) Edward is outgrowing his now as he's too strong and can wriggle out of it but I'm now confident enough to sleep with him side by side next to me with his head resting in the crook of my elbow :)

Sorry, I rambled, :blush: Can you tell I love co sleeping?! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->