oral thrush in baby and breasfeeding?

hollyrose

Reaction score
Hi, my 20week old ds has oral thrush. I am ebf. The chemist gave me a cream to put on 4 times a day after feeds, which is fine. I am not sure tho if I shud b treating my nipples also? I dont have any symptoms but cud I still have it and just pass it back to the baby if I dont treat it? The chemist suggested I express andbottle feed until it clears up but I wud rather not if I dont need to. Any advice? Thanks in advance. X

My understanding with thrush is that you both need treating or you just keep passing it between you.

We had it when dd was about 8 weeks old. I had to put a cream called daktarin on my nipples after every feed and also dd had an oral solution called nystatin to clear it up at her end. Also change breast pads frequently and wash nipples after every feed to help get rid of it/prevent catching it.

It's a pain but hopefully you can shift it soon! Good luck!

Have you seen your GP or just the chemist? Both mother and baby should be treated together when breastfeeding, even if only one of you is displaying symptoms, as you will almost certainly keep passing it back to each other otherwise.

Usually you have a cream to apply to your nipples after every feed and baby has gel or drops for mouth after feeds or set times a day, if it's not effective a stronger tablet form can be prescribed for mum.

Other things that can help both when treating thrush and as a general preventative measure for bf mums:

White vinegar wipe - 1 tablespoon white vinegar mixed in a cup of water, use a cotton wool pad to apply liberally to nipples after every feed then leave to air dry
Plenty of fresh air to your nipples, sit/nap topless when you have chance as the fungus thrives on warm moist conditions
Regularly change towels and sheets and don't share your towel
If using breastpads change them regularly
Avoid sugary foods
Avoid antibacterial handwash/gel as it kills the good bacteria needed to fight the fungus

Antibiotics can very often lead to thrush since they kill the good fungus fighting bacteria as well as whatever bad bacteria is causing your infection. However if you've been prescribed antibiotics you need them so still take them but follow the above preventative measures.

I agree with supertabby. I used the oral gel he was prescribed on my nipples ( Dr had suggested vaginal thrush cream!!!) It cleared up in no time. I didn't find nystatin worked for my lo as it didn't stay in mouth long enough!!!

I am in the process of unfortunately giving up breast feeding due to thrush, not only in my babies mouth but also on my nipples. I am excruciating pain during each feed, even when I used a nipple shield. I have always breast fed my children for longer than this so I feel somewhat a failure but even using my breast pump hurts. We both saw a GP on Monday who prescribed medication, I not only came away with cream to apply to my nipple but also a tablet to take once a day.

I was on anti biotics (and steroids) a few weeks back. I would love to continue with feeding him but he has a healthy appetite which I can't seem to satisfy plus this now was kinda the last straw.

Good luck

My lo was diagnosed with thrush at his 2 week appointment. I did not have any symptoms but the doctor suggested medication for him. I was hesitant as I did not truly believe it was thrush. Yes he had a white tongue which could arguably have been a milk coat. There was no other symptom. We discussed this and decided to wait until his 8 week appointment. He still had some symptoms at that time. It kept improving and was all gone by 4 months.
I know treating thrush is important especially if it's painful and affecting breastfeeding, but a correct diagnosis is essential. If you do decide to treat it do it for both of you together.

Just know I googled this topic. Here is a good article about this. I think it helps you My baby has oral thrush. Can it affect me if I'm breastfeeding?

My baby was diagnosed with thrush at his one month appointment but I knew he had it before then for at least a week or two. We started out breastfeeding beautifully with no problems and his latch is perfect, then suddenly my nipples were getting more and more sore and I had pains in them and my breasts even when I wasn't feeding him :cry:. We're both being treated as is recommended and the white patches on the insides of his cheeks are nearly gone! My nipples are still tender and we are still both on medication for at least another week as thrush can come back if it's not fully eradicated in both mom and baby.

Here is a link to Le Leche League International that I found extremely helpful:https://www.llli.org/faq/thrush.html

Thrush is very tricky to get rid of and difficult to diagnose, especially if baby has no white patches inside his mouth. Just know, you can both have thrush without symptoms in you or white patches in baby's mouth!

Good luck!! :thumbup:

Thanks every1 4 ur very helpful replies. Ds seems to be better now, but I have had sum pain in my nipples and right breast so have been usin cream from chemist. Fingers crossed. Xo

Thanks every1 4 ur very helpful replies. Ds seems to be better now, but I have had sum pain in my nipples and right breast so have been usin cream from chemist. Fingers crossed. Xo

Good luck Hun! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->