Oreos

Babybump87

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone give these to their little ones ? I gave DD2 a few of these during the course of the last week and now the last three days her poop has totally turned black ?

Just curious if this has happened to you ? Going to stop them for a few days to see if normal colour returns! .

Thanks

My dd has had Oreos a few times and never had any ill effects

thanks for your reply !

Your DD is only two months older than mine too . (Ignore my ticker just realised it needs updating !) .

Anyone else ?

Mine has never had more than one or two Oreos in a sitting and that's pretty rare (maybe like once or twice ever) as we only do that sort of stuff as a treat. I suspect that wouldn't be enough to do it. However, eating loads of blackberries and blueberries will turn their poo black. Any chance she's had lots of them? We've definitely gotten calls from nursery when blackberries were in season because the staff were so freaked out about how her poo looked.

Thanks mindutopia

We started giving them to her as a treat as she has a milk allergy and recently found out these are dairy free.

She only had one or two per sitting too and wasn't given them everyday last week . She's not had any blackberries or blueberries.

Her stools are now half black /half brown. Wondering if a trip to the GP is needed . She did have an Oreo yesterday due to mis communication!

If she is pooping normally other than colour and it seems to be self rectifying I'd not make a trip to the doctor, I think it is probably something in her diet but maybe not something black, my dd sometimes gets dark poo when we eat a lot of spinach or other leafy greens.

Yes, there are lots of things that can cause strange coloured stools. Greens will do it, berries, iron supplements if she recently started on a new vitamin, for instance. If she's otherwise fine I wouldn't worry about it. The doctor will do nothing but tell you to just come back if she seems unwell or in pain.

Yes, oreos can make poo black. I remember that I ate some and had a mini panic attack then realized I ate oreos the day before. lol It went back to normal color after a few days. I also worked in daycare and had a little girl who was highly allergic to soy, dairy, and all nuts so oreos were one of the only cookie/cake type treat she could have. I did notice that her stools were darker on the days she ate them.

Thanks ladies it seems to have sorted itself out . It must have been the Oreos!!

Panic mummy mode over !

Appreciate your advice!

Thanks Bev I'm just a major worrier when it comes to the girls !

My kids haven't had Oreos at that age but a good load of blueberries would turn their stools totally black.

Really scared me the first time too!

Thanks !
It's definitely back to normal! All the worrying we do !

I was going to say some relative of ours always says that we shouldn't be giving our kids oreos because cookies like dyed or colored (food coloring?). It didn't really make sense...I thought it was just chocolate. Maybe they came to that conclusion because they noticed black poo?! My kids don't really like oreos though so I haven't come across it.

If it makes you feel any better... one time I kept finding these little things in my kids poo that I thought were worms. Little dark bits that seem a bit long. Of course I freaked out. Turned out to be caused by bananas which makes total sense! They love bananas and always have them but I never noticed till that one time, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->