Organs only for the rich!

Lina

Hooyo
Reaction score
How do we feel about organ donations, are you a donor? if so would you have a preference who received your organs?

Are the rich anymore entitled than the poor?

Should the young have priority?

Dick Cheney has hit the headlines for receiving a heart over the weekend at the grand age of 71. This writer puts forth interesting points which I am inclined to agree. https://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...-too-old-for-transplant-bioethicist-weighs-in

Thoughts..

Im down for everything but my eyes, thats if they dont take my body for medical science.

Now I dont have a preference and if im in a situation of donating my organs. I certainly wont be standing in the background saying you can have mine! :rofl:

This is quite a personal subject for me, so I apologise if my views cause offence.
I think there needs to be a shake-up of how the organ donor register works. I am a big fan of the opt out system. Some people don't care either way, so don't go out of their way to register. If you care enough to not want to donate, you would make sure you were removed from the register.
I know that wasn't what you asked, but needed to get it off my chest.
I think the system there is at the moment works. I don't think anyone should have priority. At the moment, you get put on the transplant list, and you wait your turn. If you get sicker, you get pushed up, which to me, seems fair!
When an organ becomes available, the NHS will go through the transplant list, and pick the two people from the top of the list who both match the blood/tissue type. This ensures that if for whatever reason one person is unable to receive the organ, it isn't wasted. This can be hard, when you are the person who doesn't get the organ.
My Dad (who has since died) was on the transplant list for a kidney and pancreas, for 2 years, receiving dialysis. He got sicker and sicker. He was called to the hospital twice, but both times, the other person called was higher on the list, and so received the organs.
He was told that without a transplant, he had 2 weeks to live, as the dialysis just wasn't effective anymore. Luckily, his doctors were determined that wouldn't happen, and 2 days before his 49th birthday, he received his organs.
Who are we to say who is too old to receive organs? Some people, like my dad, receive organs, and die a few years later. He spent the last 18 months between a hospital bed and a care home, but prior to that, he had another year of life that he wouldn't have had without the transplant. Does that mean, that as his organs only extended his life by 2.5 years, that he didn't deserve them? That they would have been more beneficial to a person who was younger?
Some people live to be 100, some live into their 60's. Who are we to guess who will live long and who won't? My great grannie is 90 on april 2nd, and realistically needs a heart transplant, but, the doctors have said her body would not survive the operation. How do we know that a 71 year old, who receives a transplant won't live to be 100? But then again, how do we know that an 18 year old who receives a transplant won't die before they reach 21?
The simple answer is, we don't!! So for this reason, I think until there is a medical reason for you not receiving the transplant (like your body being too weak to survive the operation) that you should have as much chance as anyone else!!
I know that I, and all of my family, are very grateful for the extra time my dad had, and for the fact that he saw my brother turn 18, get his A levels (which we were told would never happen) and learn that I was carrying his first grandchild (which we were also told may never happen) All this is something that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't received his transplant.

I am on the organ donor register, and I was before my dad became ill. I feel if you would be prepared to receive a donated organ from anyone, or for someone you know or love to receive a donated organ, then you should be on the register! People die waiting for organs, which to me, is shocking! It takes seconds to register! The amount of people I have spoken to who say they would donate organs, but aren't on the register shocks me!
I don't care who my organs go to, I don't feel one person is more entitled to life than another.

Again, as you can probably see, its quite an emotive subject for me, my father only passed away 6 weeks ago, so I am sorry if I have upset or offended anyone with my views.

I think they should have an opt out system and although it does make sense to prioritise the young as they have longer to live id hate to be told that I cant have an organ because I'm too old despite having waiting longer.

Its a tough one.

As a registered nurse I have seen peoples lives dramticaly change because of this generous gift of life, but i have also seen people completely piss away this second shot at life (ie not taking anti rejection meds,not following up appts, and otherwise leading unhealthy lifestyles) And i have seen people be denied a spot on the list because they arent good candidates for the transplant...I am registered as an organ donor , i only pray that whoever get them lives life to their full potential!!!!

My cousin has been married to his wife for 9 years who just had her 10 year heart transplant anniversary last month. Which is a huge milestone. I don't think that anyone is more entitled than another person. And from her own perspective. She has made it clear that when the time comes she doesn't want to get a second transplant because the way she see's it. She has had her chance and so she would like someone else to have thiers. And after hearing her say that I now view it as the same way.

I also think we should have an "opt-out" system, as I think people 'don't get round to registering'.

I don't necessarily think anyone should have priority, and I definately don't think that people should be able to flash the cash in order to move up the transplant list!

I'm not sure where I stand on things like long term alcoholics being entitled to a liver (for example) above someone else who is suffering from liver disease through no fault of their own. (this is only an example, but you get what I mean?)

I am also on the donor register (as is my OH) - they can have anything they need! If (God forbid) anything ever happened to any of my children, I would like to think I would put them forward for organ donation too.

My daughter is a recent donor recipient :thumbup:

I'm on the register x
I also think it should be an opt out thing x

Im an organ donor.
I dont mind who it goes to but I would be gratefull if they'd look after whatever part of me they got :haha:

I will admit im not on the list, part of me wants to be and part of me does not so im leaving it up to next of kin when I go to decide. As nasty as it sounds if god forbid anything happen to the children I dont think I could donate them their my babies and I would want them whole. Oh does not want to be a donor full stop.

Anyway back on topic I dont think the amount of cash you have should play any part in if you get an organ or not and I believe alcoholics who need a liver should be behind those who need a liver though no fault of their own.

I registered myself. I don't want to donate my eyes, for selfish reasons. I used to donate blood too, but am now battling anemia, so cannot. I had a friend have a successful kidney transplant. She is my age (37) and a mom to one. I also had a friend die of leukemia when she was only 15. A bone marrow transplant may have saved her life. I am also on the bone marrow transplant list, which is a seperate thing here that you have to register for. RIP Amanda. x x

I have registered as an organ donor, and I strongly believe that it is a wonderfully altruistic act. Although I am actually all for the opt-out system (especially as it unburdens the next-of-kin from a heartbreaking decision), there are a few questions I'd like to see addressed before it was implemented;

1. Given that our bodies are our personal property, how do we justify taking parts of someone's body if they have not explicitly consented (the opt-out is an assumed consent), especially in cases where the subject would not be able to understand the act of donation (e.g. people with learning difficulties).

2. As much as there are people who do wish to donate, but that don't get around to registering, what do we do about people who don't wish to donate, but don't get around to opting-out? Is it ever right to simply assume consent, and take their organs?

3. What would the age limit be on becoming a donor? Surely we would still want parental consent if the potential donor was not an adult?

As I say, I am actually pro opt-out for organ donation, but I'd like to see how the finer details would be cashed out before the system was imposed.

As for who deserves the organs, I think it has to come down to who has the greater medical need, and the greatest hope of successful transplant. There's something called "the veil of ignorance" in which people are asked to make a judgement about a situation without knowing the personal circumstances (age, sex, gender, religious background, lifestyle etc) of the people involved, and I think that this would be useful in reducing bias in deciding who gets the organs. Money should certainly have nothing to do with it!

We have the opt-out system here. Under 18s and adults who are deemed unable to decide for themself will require the consent of their legal guardians. And I guess if someone really doesn't want to donate then they would opt-out, if they don't get around to it then surely its not that important to them?

Buddy, it is precisely those grey areas that are my concern. How about people who have no knowledge that an opt out system exists?, even though it has been widely advertised. Do we still take their organs?

Nibblenic- why not your eyes?
My personal position is I wouldn't donate so it would be hypocritical for me to accept.

i think if an opt out system was ever to be brought into a contry there would have to be at least a weeks worth of adverts for it on every tv channel, all newspapers should have it preferably front page for a day all radios should advertise it for a week and all households should recieve a letter with a form to fill in to opt out if they wish with a reminder letter sent about once every 5 years (or prehapse with the census forms?)
i think people who cant understand due to mental illness should not have there organs taken unless under perental concent as we would assume the parent would have an idea what the person with mental illness would have wanted.
i am on the organ donor register and they can have what they want. i cant believe that where i live you cant donate your placenta/umbilical chord. i heard it had stem cells in and you could donate it to be used to fight things like leukemia but there isnt a hospital round where i live that does donations

Buddy, it is precisely those grey areas that are my concern. How about people who have no knowledge that an opt out system exists?, even though it has been widely advertised. Do we still take their organs?

My personal position is I wouldn't donate so it would be hypocritical for me to accept.

ITs a bit daft but hey-ho, there are two levels to it. Like for example, you cannot recognise my liver, so if i had someone or gave mine to some on you couldnt identify it. Then I believe in a eyes are the window to the soul and i believe your soul lives on and that id need my eyes to see. Its a bit daft but there you go. Im down to donate to medical science, currently I dont have any identifiable features (obviously they cover the head) but if i was to get some like a scar for example, I would change my donation to medical science somewhere further away as I have family who work in the field.

I dont agree with an opt-out system as I think it is a personal choice and should remain the decision of the next of kin. I am not on the organ donor list, simply because I dont see much point in adding my name as, as far as im aware, it is the decision of the next of kin anyway. My husband knows that I would donate my organs and as he is the one making the choice then its most important he knows! Both me and my husband would be happy to donate our organs.

I think that children should have priority. I would not be happy for my organs to go to someone who had chosen to destroy theirs through drink or drugs- I think there are far more deserving people and those should be at the bottom of it.

When my sister died my parents donated her organs apart from her eyes- they went to people of varying ages including a child and a 60 year old.

ITs a bit daft but hey-ho, there are two levels to it. Like for example, you cannot recognise my liver, so if i had someone or gave mine to some on you couldnt identify it. Then I believe in a eyes are the window to the soul and i believe your soul lives on and that id need my eyes to see. Its a bit daft but there you go. Im down to donate to medical science, currently I dont have any identifiable features (obviously they cover the head) but if i was to get some like a scar for example, I would change my donation to medical science somewhere further away as I have family who work in the field.

Interesting reasoning, but are there people around us with eyes of others?:shock:

I am for the opt-out system.

I don't care who get's my organs as long as they look after it, they can have everything but my eyes.

I don't think the rich are anymore entitled than the poor, In fact does that even happen??

I think i am, i believe its an option when u apply for your driving license ? ... i don't want to donate my eyes though, and i don't know how i go about changing that :/
I would like to receive an organ so i think its only fair to donate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->