Oscar's Birth Via C-Section

catswhiskas

Mummy to Oscar
Reaction score
Hey all, 12 days ago on 26th April, I had my gorgeous son Oscar via elective c-section. Thought I would write up my experience here for any other mums who are about to deliver the same way.

I was told to arrive at the hospital for 8. We got there at 7.30. The 2 other ECS taking place that day were late so we were in first. I walked into the operating theatre at around 10.20. It was very relaxed, the radio was on and the team all introduced themselves. They had already given my my gown so I was ready to go. They sat me on the operating bed and cleaned my back! I heard the aneasthetist explaining to a student that they were cleaning the "wide area" and made a joke about him being allowed to say I had a big butt! They got me to curl over a pillow which Oscar did not like and kicked me. They then put a local aneasthetic into my back. It felt like a small scratch (and I am a serious wuss). I didn't feel them then do the spinal at all.

Shortly after a warm sensation worked its way down my buttocks and legs. Followed by tingling. They swung me up onto the bed and popped a small screen infront of me. I was then given a catheter and pain relieving suppository but felt neither. I was so scared but needn't have been. The bed the put you on tilts slightly to the left and I went to clench my buttocks to move myself but couldn't which was weird. They then performed the ice cube test on me to see if the spinal had worked. I could feel nothing from the bottom of my bust down, aprt from a tingling sensation and an awareness if anyone applied pressure to me.

I was worried as the screen did not stop hubby from seeing the entire procedure, only me. We had already warned them that he was very squeamish. I then started to talk to the scrub nurse who was looking after me,. I was hooked up to monitors and was chatting away. I wanted to be able to hold hubby's hand bt they like you to keep your hands crossed onto your chest and I was angled away from him too which made it hard. Everytime I turned he was looking down at what was going on.

I heard a sound like a coffee percolator and knew it was my waters they were extracting, however I couldn't feel anything and naively assumed I wasn't actually open. Next thing, I heard a baby crying!!!!!! :cloud9: I lloked at hubby and said "is everything ok"? I really thought it must be someone elses baby, and then he just turned to me and said "it's a little baby" and had tears in his eyes!!!! :happydance:

I saw Oscar being taken across the room to where the midwives were ready for him. I had by this point pulled a muscle in my neck and was craning to see my son. Hubby kept taking pics of him and bringing them back to show me. They got him warm, weighed and wrapped up. They were showing hubby how to put his nappy on etc. It was all so hazy as I just couldnt believe that my baby had arrived. I was asking if he was ok and if everything was normal. Then he was handed to his daddy and placed on me! He went back to dad and next thing I knew we were wheeled back to recovery. It was so smooth and fast. Oscar was officially born at 10.44 and we were back in recovery by no later than 11.20 I would say.

He weighed 7lb 15oz and measured 21 inches. He is a fit healthy boy.

The rest of the day passed in a blur of visitors and disbelief. I was monitored for 2 hours and then moved down to the regular ward with all the other mums.

The next day I was up and catheter out. I was discharged after 48 hours and my recovery has gone incredibly well. I am bleeding lightly. My weight instantly dropped to lower than my pre preg weight and although it has only been 12 days I am no longer taking pain medication and am doing plenty of the jobs around the house. The only thing I can't do at this time is walk too far or lift anything heavy. And obviously no driving yet. My wound is neat and I feel great.

I have had such a positive experience and am therefore keen to share it with others who are facing a section as I know I was scared (even though a normal birth was a far more scary prospect for me). I really can't praise the process enough and I can assure you it doesn't stop you from doing anything with your baby. I can lift and carry my son with no problems and was like this within 24 hours.

I have totally fallen in love with this incredible bundle that I have been blessed with and am literally on cloud 9. I don't doubt that that seriously helps with recovery, but even so, it has for me, been a very positive experience.

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/rats_whiskas/IMG00375-20110430-1400.jpg

5 days old x

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/rats_whiskas/IMG00447-20110504-1121.jpg
1 Week old. x

Congrats!!! This has made me feel a lot more chilled about the whole thing! I have a horrible phobia of childbirth and so c-section will be my delivery option but I am worried about the epidural, the catheter and also the pain after when it has worn off!!!! I really hope I have as positive experience as you!!!

xx

I have a phobia of childbirth too which is why it was considered that this was the best route for me. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I honestly promise you, you won't feel anything. I wasn't aware a catheter or suppository had gone in and I was soon covered up so my dignity was protected. Hey I didn't even know I was open til I heard a baby crying and had to be told it was mine, I was sure there was another one in the room!

I have a phobia of childbirth too which is why it was considered that this was the best route for me. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I honestly promise you, you won't feel anything. I wasn't aware a catheter or suppository had gone in and I was soon covered up so my dignity was protected. Hey I didn't even know I was open til I heard a baby crying and had to be told it was mine, I was sure there was another one in the room!

Really! I am currently seeing a psychotherapist and hypnobirthing midwife to try and help me but tbh I dont think it will work as I am feeling more stressed out and pressured by it all!! I have added you to my contacts list if that is ok!

xx

Aww! He's beautiful! Thank you for your story, it definitely makes me feel better about having a c-section!

I had to see a psychologist and also had some therapy that they provide for post traumatic stress patients to try and help me work through the fear. But to no avail. If you need to chat you know where I am. Glad to be of help to anyone concerned about their section. I couldn't have had a more positive experience.

Mine is gna make me look at pictures and/or watch someone in labour and giving birth but i cant do that! Thanks again for the positive story. Your baby is adorable! Congrats. xx

So glad it all went smoothly and that you are happy. Congratulations!

congratualtions, adorable photos!

Thanks ladies. Today I am even back hoovering! And my little man is doing brilliantly. I feel like I permanently have love hearts coming out of my eyes! x

Thanks ladies. Today I am even back hoovering! And my little man is doing brilliantly. I feel like I permanently have love hearts coming out of my eyes! x

Aww thats so sweet :cloud9: glad your doing well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->