OT but does anyone live in/near swindon or south Wales? - UPDATE - Moving to Wales :)

RebeccaG

Reaction score
My husband might be moving jobs to either Swindon or south Wales - Bridgend area. I have never been to either and we are currently in Hertfordshire so cant really pop over to check it out!

Questions are...

What are they like?
Good/bad areas to live?
Schools?
Baby clubs etc?

Thank you ladies! X

I live in the countryside north of Swindon. Tbh (and this is just MY opinion), Swindon itself is a bit of a dump - but the countryside around it is amazing if your partner does not mind commuting in.

Swindon is not the first place I'd choose to live as previous poster said its a bit of a dump! I'm from Bristol.. Not sure about bridgend x

I live in the countryside north of Swindon. Tbh (and this is just MY opinion), Swindon itself is a bit of a dump - but the countryside around it is amazing if your partner does not mind commuting in.

That is sort of what I'd heard... But wasn't sure as never been. Which villages towns outside are nice? Is there a side that's better? North south etc?

Yes he should be able to commute

My auntie lives near Swindon (in a village about 40odd mins away) and from what I understand (as pp have said) Swindon is quite rough, it has a baaaaaaad reputation.

As others have said I wouldn't want to live in Swindon itself as its a bit rough but there are some lovely places around it.

I live in a town about 45 minutes to an hours drive from Swindon and the countryside is just lovely. There's some amazing primary schools in my town and a really good rated secondary school.

We originally lived in Bristol as that's where my dh is from but decided to move out here when we got married as we knew we'd want to start a family and didn't want to bring them up in the city. Plus I'm from this area originally so knew it very well and my parents still live here too.

I can't comment on Bridgend as I've never been though. Good luck!

X

Fear not, it isn't all bad news!! I lived in Swindon for 5 years. Yes it has it's rough parts. The general rule of thumb is don't live in any of the parts beginning with a P - park north or south, pinehurst, penhill...

Old town is one of the nicer parts, old Victorian terrace houses and a few nice bars and places to eat. Also has some nice schools, so if you have to be in town that is where I'd be. I also lived in rodbourne which is cheaper but also nice. Good curry house there!! Was happy living in both. No nasty stories, just avoid the town centre on fri and sat nights!!! Same as most big towns really.

If you want any more info let me know. the other great thing about Swindon is its right on the m4 so close to Bristol, Oxford, reading and other lovely places. Marlborough and cirencester are lovely but pricey.

Good luck with the move!!

Swindon isn't as bad as people make out but I wouldn't choose to live there - especially in the centre. I live just outside on the north which is definitely better than any other area.
Plenty of countryside and good schools/clubs.

Edit - couldnt have said it better ^^^

I live in Port Talbot so a few miles out of Bridgend but as far as I know Brackla is the nice area of Bridgend.

i live in swindon. its a very mixed town some places really rough some places lovely it all depends on your budget really.

i live in the so called rough part but like where i live. im a council tennant so no i wouldnt choose my area if i could afford to buy, but i would choose to buy in swindon. i love it. there is so much for kids in swindon and some parts really are lovely especially the surrounding villages.

pm me if you have any questions xx

edit- lydiard millicent is lovely its in west swindon

lots of baby groups around in swindon

Fear not, it isn't all bad news!! I lived in Swindon for 5 years. Yes it has it's rough parts. The general rule of thumb is don't live in any of the parts beginning with a P - park north or south, pinehurst, penhill...

Old town is one of the nicer parts, old Victorian terrace houses and a few nice bars and places to eat. Also has some nice schools, so if you have to be in town that is where I'd be. I also lived in rodbourne which is cheaper but also nice. Good curry house there!! Was happy living in both. No nasty stories, just avoid the town centre on fri and sat nights!!! Same as most big towns really.

If you want any more info let me know. the other great thing about Swindon is its right on the m4 so close to Bristol, Oxford, reading and other lovely places. Marlborough and cirencester are lovely but pricey.

Good luck with the move!!

Yep, agree with all the above. I lived in rodbourne for couple years and had no problems. Lots of lovely places surrounding, but do tend to be pretty pricey for houses iirc. Decent night out in the old town too (I was younger and childless then!)

Thanks ladies! Some great info there! I might pm you linzylinz if it turns out we are going to Swindon. We wouldn't necessarily have to be in the centre we could live a few miles out in a village. I just want to make sure there will be lots to do (babywise) as if my husband gets the job we would prob afford for me to stay at home. - no chance of doing that where we are now ;( so expensive! But there are so many good baby groups etc.
One more thing! Schools? Are they over subscribed? Are there lack of places for the good schools?
Thank you so much ladies!!! Xx

For Wales I've been googling and read that cowbridge is nice? True? The Gavin and Stacey fan in me desperately wants to move to Barry!!!

I was born and grew up in Swindon. It's not nearly as bad a some posters have suggested! I would recommend Old Town, there are some nice parts of Stratton and parts of West Swindon are okay. As for schools, they vary (as anywhere) - if you have a part of Swindon in mind let me know and I'll do some digging for you. I used to teach in Swindon and have several friends who still do. Feel free to PM me.

As others have said there are a number of gorgeous villages around Swindon but they can be pricey. Hope that helps x

Thanks ladies! Some great info there! I might pm you linzylinz if it turns out we are going to Swindon. We wouldn't necessarily have to be in the centre we could live a few miles out in a village. I just want to make sure there will be lots to do (babywise) as if my husband gets the job we would prob afford for me to stay at home. - no chance of doing that where we are now ;( so expensive! But there are so many good baby groups etc.
One more thing! Schools? Are they over subscribed? Are there lack of places for the good schools?
Thank you so much ladies!!! Xx

For Wales I've been googling and read that cowbridge is nice? True? The Gavin and Stacey fan in me desperately wants to move to Barry!!!

oh cowbridge is lovely, really really nice place. However it is in the middle of the country side and there's lots of cows so it can get a bit smelly :rofl:

Hey, I'm in Cardiff and can't say I really know Bridgend well, but I don't think it's the best town around - nothing much there - although as with anywhere there are nice and bad areas. But there are plenty of nicer areas nearby to live!!!!! Location-wise it's good though - not too far from the coast, near to the shopping and everything in Cardiff (and Swansea in the opposite direction) and just off the motorway so good road links for getting elsewhere. Yeah, cowbridge is nice - but pricy! However, I soooo don't reccommend Barry!!!! haha... it's really not considered a good place to live really - except if you're from Barry!!! lol...

Ah shame about Barry! Hahah! I just love Gavin and Stacey! Will look in to Cowbridge on rightmove!
X

Well am going for a nosey around on Friday probably!

Will look at Old Town Swindon - also what's Wroughton like? And Wichestowe?

Then heading to Wales to Brackla as that's potentially where my husband will be working and also look at Cowbridge which on google image looks lovely!

Thank you so much again ladies!

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->