OT but does anyone live in/near swindon or south Wales? - UPDATE - Moving to Wales :)

I am from Newport, in south wales, its about half hour or so from bridgend, my auntie n cousins etc live in bridgend, its a nice place, not far from the beach like porthcawl and barry island , and not far from the capital "cardiff" , im not too sure on stuff like baby clubs in bridgend etc but it has a town and a out of town shopping centre with cinema and food joints etc, skwls are good i guess as my cousins were brought up there and went to a nice school. its a nice place like i said not far from places, not far from swansea too either to be honest like half hour mabey , so another big city you would not be far from , good luck with the move x

reading thro the comments and funny enough thats where my family live "brackla" it is a nice little area xx

I live in South Wales, in Cardiff. It isn't too far from Bridgend, and there is a hell of a lot of schools around. There are a few baby groups around too :) On a whole, Wales seems to be cheaper than a lot of other places. And, we have the bonus of free prescriptions!!

OOoo free prescriptions! Great news about Brackla! Do you know if there are many babies and groups around there?

I live in cardiff in south wales also. Dont know much about bridgend but I know where I live is really nice and we got lots of local baby clubs/mummy clubs and events. And the school by me is really good :) x

Thought I'd update you all!

Thought Wales was lovely! Cowbridge is just gorgeous! Could definitely live there. Also looking at St Brides Major as houses are a bit cheaper than cowbridge and it's close to the sea.
Need to go and have another look at Swindon as didn't get to see much. Will be finding out on Thursday what the plan is!

Well my husband accepted the job in Wales :)

House hunting next weekend and moving August.

Thank you ladies for all our great advice! xx

Thanks for updating us!

It's great that you loved Wales so much and now you'll be moving there.

Hope you have fun house hunting next weekend and good luck with the move in August!

X

I'm from Bridgend. Can I just say that St bride's major is gorgeous BUT it's a good 6 or 7 miles from Bridgend town n brackla. The public transport is shocking to get there - my Nan's in Ewenny, same bus - and doesn't run late or on a Sunday although not a problem if ur driving.

Incidentally St brides major ad cowbridge are in the vale of glamorgan not Bridgend county so council tax and local council are different /more expensive.

If ur hubby's working in brackla it makes more sense as it's more central and there'll be more parent/child groups nearby. Also there are 2 infant /junior schools that u can look up on estyn (the Welsh equivalent of ofsted).

The crematorium end of Brackla is far more affluent and was at one time the largest private housing estate in Europe.

Sorry for rambling on - if u have more questions I'll gladly advise. I don't really write on here but as Bridgend is my home town and I know it like the back of my hand I thought I could give u an honest review of the place and try not to be too biased (well as much as a proud wealsh gal can be)! Lol

Htp :)

That is so helpful thank you!!! Looking at a house in bridgend itself as well. What's the town centre like? Good shops?
Am so excited I love wales! Children with welsh accents are just adorable so will be encouraging my little boy to have one haha!

I cant speak of south wales, but im in Midwales and its beautiful.

Ooh good luck hun! I really would not mind relocating at all but OH is a London cabbie and would not give up his work for love nor money xx

Ah thanks! Very excited by it all. Only thing that worries me a bit is am leaving so many good friends and worry that I wont know anyone but I guess with a 1yr old I will have to get out and about to toddler groups so will hopefully meet people through those. Xx

Wow St brides major is lovely - Charlotte Church used to live there! I live in Sully which is also vale of glamorgan near an area called Penarth. Dont know if you will be looking further afield than bridgend but if you are penarth/sully are lovely about 20 mins commute tho. Schools are really good in this area and the local highschool is supposed to be one of the best in the country (seems along way off tho!). All the best with your move - I love where I live and I hope you will too x

I'm another Bridgend living lass, moved here xmas 2010, love it out here. Town isn't huge, but it has almost everything you could need I would say.

Ah that's good to know that Bridgend town centre has everything :) Going to look at houses on Saturday in Bridgend, Cowbridge, Wick, Ogmore by sea and St Brides :)

Sully and Penarth will be to far although they look really lovely. My husband has to be within 15-20 minutes of work for when he is on call. Think even Cowbridge might sadly be too far :( Love it but maybe too pricey anyway really!

Fancy having a meet up in the Autumn? September/ October ish

xx

Well ladies we are now here in Bridgend and expecting baby number 2. Has anyone got any advice regarding hospital options and if the recommend or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->