Outdoor pets & the cold?

Arlandria

Love being Mrs.C xx
Reaction score
:)

Right, my OH thinks i'm soft but I worry so much for my lil Rabbit who lives outside in a hutch.

This is her first winter and although we have covered her hutch and 'wrapped' it up and she has TONS on straw in her bed...

What temp do I need to worry and bring her in overnight?

Anyone else a soft arse like me :D

will be keeping an hour on this thread, OH got Aimee a little rabbit for her birthday in november, i have been a little worried but was thinking she would be ok but OH has brought her hutch inside, not too bothered as she is in the spare play room so not in the way, it is really cold though.

xxx

Should be fine outside, me and my family have always had outdoor pets and aslong as they have plenty of food , hay and covered up etc they should be okay :)

My mums rabbits lasted over the winter and snow last year. Sadly my guineas died over 2 months BUT they were old and we we're expecting it anyway xx

should be fine outside, my rabbits always been outside, plenty of straw, food & water. you can cover the hutch with carpet to stop the wind getting in...
is also a good idea to get a spare water bottle so if it freezes you can just replace it with the other one instead of faffing to defrost it..
x

My dads girlfriend keeps her rabbit outside. They wrapped tarp all over the hutch and had plenty of straw etc. He was just fine. They would let him come inside for a couple of hours a night but then back out.. This was when i was home at the end of 2010 i think it was. So there was alot of snow and wind and cold. He was just fine out there. But if your worried, no harm in bringing them in.

As others have said plenty of hay to snuggle into and cover the hutch overnight. If you put a blanket for extra warmth then a tarp to waterproof it thats a good idea. Good tip for water bottles - stick a sock over them, helps to stop them icing up. If you've got a shed with windows or an unused garage you could move his hutch in there (or even a spare bedroom.... teehee). Just a warning though, if you bring him in out of the cold he'll need to be kept in til Spring. If you brought him in then put him back out, even if it was only a few days later, he'd feel the cold really bad as he would be used to the warmth of the house x

I'm a softie, I've put our guinea pigs in the conservatory. The thought did also cross my mind that if they're in the conservatory then I don't have to go outside in the freezing cold to clean them out!

My guinea pigs live in the garage and I have lost guinea pigs to cold winters before even though I do my best to keep them warm. I have a microwavable heat pad from Pets at Home that I warm up and put in their hutch with layers of newspaper on the top for extra wartmth and then the bedding, hay etc on the top. I also cover the hutch with a duvet on really cold nights and put a sock over the water bottle to stop it freezing. If its really really cold I bring them in though.

I suppose if you're worried then is there any harm of bringing them inside?

As long as the hutch is well covered, out of draughts and the rabbit has plenty of bedding, they should be fine.

When my rabbits became elderly I would wrap a hot water bottle in an old towel and place it under the straw.

We have an outdoor working dog and we've moved his kennel inside a barn now the weather has got cold and wet. He loves it with loads of straw and a pig to keep him company. In the past I've had rabbits outside in the winter and also put them in the garage so its up to you.If you can bring them in its easier for you to given them cuddles and care for them without getting too wet or cold.

My dog is primarily an outside dog. I only bring her in when she barks at night or if it's 10 degrees or less out. Most animals are fine outside but she has arthritis and the extreme cold stiffens her joints. She has simply never enjoys the confines of being indoors. I think as long as the rabbit has enough bedding it should be fine. Perhaps put her in the garage or basement if it gets below zero?

my neighbours have a rabbit living on their balcony (2nd floor)

last week when it was really windy, they turned her hutch around to face their doors, rather than sideways like it was before...

then about 2 days later they took the whole thing inside, as her straw was blowing away, and she was shaking :(

my friend used to bring their rabbits inside from the garage during the icy days and when it was really bitterly windy to avoid drafts...

id feel sorry for them sitting outside, im such a sop :lol:

Our rabbit came into our conservatory last month :) He is still covered with an old rug and blanket each nite too :) and lots of newspaper and straw-but we have to leave our cat flap in there wedged open with a hanger as our cat cant work it out!!! So i still worry he is cold!

Good tip about the socks on water bottles :thumbup:

xxxxx

Rabbits and guinea pigs should be kept in sheds or garages over the winter. Particularly if they are under two years old. They may be fine with extra straw/blankets etc but best not to risk it. They will be more comfortable under cover.

Rabbits are fine outside, we have always had rabbits and they have always lived out.
I think for those with lone buns though have you thought about getting them a companion? Rabbits are sociable and like the company of other buns plus they will help keep each other warm.

OH has dragged all our rabbits into the conservatory! least i don't have to go in the garden tho now :)

my rabbit lives in the house permenantly, the guineas are inside now though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->