Overdue! ...sweep?

Lil_Gem_1989

Reaction score
So i'm overdue and no sign of baby making an exit just yet! Reckon he must be comfy in there :/ this is new for me as my first was born at 39+2.

Got my sweep tomorrow hopefully (midwife appointment)

What are the chances of a sweep working? Never had one before so dont really know what to expect... Sweep stories welcome :haha: x

I had two sweeps with last pregnancy they didn't send me into labour but did help my cervix get ready for labour I think X

I know ladies who have had sweeps at 39 weeks and are still pregnant after 40 weeks. However, I had mine at 39 weeks and my water broke about 12 hours later. :)

I had quite a few my last two pregnancies, I had contractions after but it didn't lead to labour. Personally I think they only work if you're nearly ready anyway. I'm not going to have them this time they're not very pleasant and just give me false hope

Yeh ive read that the cervix has to be 'favourable' for it to work. Knowing my luck she wont even find my cervix as its wayyy back and in an awkward position.. Smear tests are never a breeze lol

With my last pregnancy I had a sweep at 40 weeks, it made me bleed a little and caused a bit of cramping but that's about it, she was born a week later

I had two sweeps but didn't go into labour until 41+6. They do work for some people though :)

I had it with my first pregnancy before I was induced and it made me bleed but didn't do anything else , although I was only 35 weeks so I could have had a knife shoved up there and it wouldn't do much except be uncomfortable lol , but then my friend and sister in law had a sweep and went into labour within a few hours , so it all depends if your body is ready or not wether it helps , try dtd doggy style pretty rough then have a bath and then go for your sweep that should get things moving X

I had a sweep when I was 40+6 and went into labour later the same day x

Interesting to read people's experiences.
I've been offered a sweep next week (I'll be 37+5) and a repeat one at 38+6 if that one is unsuccessful/not possible.
I'm undecided if I'm going to accept it or not, as my body may not be ready yet (despite all these strong BH's) and I'll just be disappointed if my cervix is closed and they therefore can't even do it.
Maybe this thread will help me decide..!

I had asleep at 12 noon and went into labour that evening. Good luck!

Thanks ladies! Yeh its interesting how it works for some but not others :/ seems pretty much 50/50 x

I had two sweeps with DD one at 40 weeks other at 41 weeks. Went into labour 2 days later but ended up being induced.

Just been to see midwife and she attempted a sweep but could only fit a fingertip in. So booked in for another sweep next thurs and induction date is on the friday (13th)! Baby is 2/5ths engaged :) x

I had 3 sweeps with my son and it did nothing and I was induced!
I am getting a sweep Saturday when I am 41 weeks and I am so hoping it does something this time as I would like to go into labour naturally BUT I will be booked for induction next week too

Good luck

I had 3 sweeps with my son and it did nothing and I was induced!
I am getting a sweep Saturday when I am 41 weeks and I am so hoping it does something this time as I would like to go into labour naturally BUT I will be booked for induction next week too

Good luck

Thanks you too! What is it like to be induced? I read that it can make contractions stronger and more frequent? X

I had two with DS1, at 40 and 41 weeks, but they didn't do anything and I ended up being induced at 41+3.

With DS2, I had just one at 40+5 at around 3pm, and I went into labour at 11pm that night. I had him at 4am the next day! The doctor had said my cervix was favourable, which I don't think it was with DS1, so I also believe that if you're almost ready they can help things get started, but if you're not they probably won't do anything.

I didn't find induction too bad tbh and I do not know about the stronger contractions as I have nothing to compare it too :shrug: I am actually not worried about being induced again but ideally as this is my last pregnancy I would like to experience labour naturally :shrug:

Hope we both go into labour before we need to be induced 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->