Oversupply and Altoids/peppermint

myra

Reaction score
In case you're also dealing with oversupply issues...I was skeptical that Altoids (made with peppermint oil) would actually reduce oversupply. But I'd tried the Block feeding twice, pumping to relieve engorgement, not pumping only to be met with pain from engoregement...and baby choking multiple times during feedings all the same. The only way I could nurse her with only 1-2 choking/gagging episodes was laying down...not always an option if I'm out.

So I tried Altoids (recommended 1 candy every hour)...I didn't keep to the schedule since it was chaotic enough here with a newborn and 2 year old but every once in a while I'd take a couple Altoids. In less than 24 hours, it worked! Now I'll pump just a couple ounces twice a day to help with minor engorgement (I used to have to pump out at 6-8oz before my breast would soften) and so hubby has a bottle for her...but supply has gone down to "normal" levels and my daughter is finally able to nurse without choking!
I've also read that you can do up to 1/4 tsp peppermint oil per day with the same results (or you can do lots of peppermint tea)- but this was simple, quick and better than I'd expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->