overusing fetal doppler???

wheelz23

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am 10w3d and a total worry wart. Yes I know, shame on me for worrying. But it's who I am and it isn't getting better with the hormones!

Anyways. I have the sonoline B doppler. I told my doctor that I got one, and the only response she had was "if you don't find the heartbeat, don't be the mom that calls here every day freaking out. It's common."

Which I get. And that has only happened once, and I didn't call her. I just knew I was very gassy and waited until the next day.

I typically can find the baby in the mornings within a minute. I don't listen long, I just feel relief for the day and go on about my business.
Now that being said.
I just had a lady yell at me when I said this, and she said dopplers microwave the baby.. and that her midwife won't even bother using one.

Now. I'm not trying to be a smartbutt. I do think that's a bit excessive, but it led me to googling. How much is too much of the doppler? Would it be awful to hear it every morning? Should I limit it to twice a week? Is that too much?

The same lady said it'll give the baby autism. I mean. I am not a doctor, but my doctor didn't even give me rules. Either I have a calm doctor or I encountered someone who really HATES dopplers.

The baby's heartrate was 168 two friday's ago, and it was like 160 at 10w spot on. I read somewhere online it should be in the 170's, so I've been rather freaked out. Not to mention, I'm beginning to get a little bit of energy back. In my head I'm like great, I'm losing pregnancy symptoms. Then I find the HB and feel better.
am I hurting my child? That's definitely not worth it. Just wanting some feedback on what I'm doing and if you've heard different things.

Thanks ladies!

I used it daily while pregnant from 9weeks until I felt regular movement around 17 weeks. And then only if I was worried.

Dd is fine. Super smart and friendly. Didn't do her any harm.

Okay firstly this person who spoke to you clearly gave her very strong opinion about dopplers which doesn't sound like it is based on evidence.

The evidence that I have read about it and as far as I understand it currently is: there have been no provable negative long term effects on children from ultrasound waves (which are the same from the scans and the dopplers), however there has been limited research on it and the current advice from NICE guidelines is to avoid unnecessary ultrasound, like private scans, where possible. So they suggest there should be medical reason to have a scan.
We can also consider that midwives use dopplers all through labour which can last a long time! But they suggest if there are any effects from the ultrasound that they might be amplified for very early pregnancies because they are so small if that makes sense.

The bottom line is it's mostly speculation and no one can promise you that it is definitely completely unharmful, however it is used a great deal and nothing has been found yet :)

I'd also suggest that if it helps you not feel anxiety all day every day then that's also beneficial to your baby :)
I think it's a balance you need to find for yourself, my thoughts are if you feel quite happy and calm when you wake up, maybe don't routinely use the doppler? But if you wake up feeling scared and don't want to do your day without reassurance then do what you need to do and don't worry about it.

I use my doppler whenever I feel worried, I'd say it's about twice a week at the moment but sometimes I'm getting movements which really helps so I'm worried less xx

Thank you ladies. I haven't had any movements yet and probably won't for a while. As long as I'm not keeping the doppler on my belly for five or more minutes, I feel more at ease about it. I have never heard of dopplers causing miscarriage or anything. You are totally right though. That lady had one incredibly sharp opinion on it.

so far I have used my doppler every single day,once in the morning and before bed since i first heard the heartbeat at 8 weeks.. baby looks amazing on ultrasound the other day.. and the doctor told me if it makes me less stressed then go ahead.

May55 you recommended me getting the sonoline b a few weeks ago! Thank you SO MUCH for the recommendation. I was able to pick up baby's heartbeat at 9w! I love it.

When I was pregnant with my first-born, I used it daily for about a week until my OH decided it was too much. I would have used it every day of the entire pregnancy if I could have, so it got put in OH's car, and when it was time for me to listen (once per week), OH would bring it in and help me find baby. With my subsequent pregnancies, I've used it weekly. Including this one. Once I can feel baby, I only use it if I don't feel movement when I normally would, and then I'll do a kick count after using it once I'm in third trimester.

I DO think you can definitely overuse a doppler. I think every day for a week or three won't hurt, but I would definitely try to cut down to a week. You're in double digits. You're doing great. I KNOW you're worried - SUPER worried especially considering your rocky start. It's time to have confidence that your baby is healthy and that your body knows what it's doing. :) Once I STOP using the doppler and have confidence in my body and my baby, that's when the real bonding starts. Just my experience! I don't think you'll hurt or microwave your baby, and I'm a hippie who thinks most commercial sunscreen is the devil and the government is poisoning us with GMOs. I'm usually all over that stuff. ;)

Thank you!! Maybe I can convince myself to do it only once every other day until first trimester is over, then force myself twice a week only, and then when i feel baby I'll cut back completely. that is great advice! :) and you're right, the rocky start did NOT help!!

I use mine everyday (since 11w4d) for a min or 2 cuz I'm not feeling movements yet. Everyone's a critic, but I've never heard of any major negative effects. It gives me peace of mind, so I'll continue until kiddo wants to start doing cartwheels on my bladder. lol

I used mine at least once daily from 10 weeks until I was feeling movement regularly. It helped me feel more relaxed. I think you can find people who will disagree with anything and think they know best. Don't use it for long periods at a time, and most importantly, later on, don't use it for reassurance if you notice reduced feral movements xxxxx

I have the sonoline b aswell, used it daily with my son and I've found lots of friends babies heartbeats from 8 weeks aswell and it's not done anyone any harm :)

I'm sure your baby is fine and if it helps you feel less anxious about your pregnancy, I would think using it on occasion for limited amounts of time is safe. I think the argument, or at least how some people feel about Dopplers (I'll admit that I'm one of them) is that yes, it does create excess heat in your womb and I don't think that's necessarily the best thing for a developing baby. Is it bad? Probably not in moderation but I think overuse isn't the greatest idea either. I don't believe that they are technically FDA approved and there has been very little research so I don't think anyone can tell you in absolutes that it is 100% safe or 100% not safe. I think like all things in pregnancy, moderation is key. I still drink a cup of coffee every day, and while many people give it up completely in pregnancy, I don't really feel that limited caffeine is all that bad. So take everything with a grain of salt and do what feels comfortable to you.

I don't have a doppler, but my doctor made similar comments where she discouraged them, said they cause too much anxiety. My husband also thought it would be a bad idea. I think it would be useful, and if I get pregnant again (which hopefully I won't) I would purchase a doppler because my anxiety in the first trimester can get pretty bad.

Hey just wanted to add my babies' (all 3) heartrates have never been in the 170s. Always 150s -160s.

awesome!! Its my lifeline lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->