Ovulation and DTD timing help please x

trudie100

Reaction score
hey ladies

I am just wondering if any of you who have got your BFP know when you conceived?

I have read that once you get a positive OPK your going to ovulate in the next 12-48 hours so you should do the deed the day of the positive and in the couple of days after.... but i also keep reading its more important to do the deed in the couple of days BEFORE ovulation so there are some swimmers ready to meet the egg

I just wondered if anyone knows which way around it worked for them? if you got your BFP from DTD before or after your positive OPK?

Thanks x

Ideally, I would say you should be doing both. A positive OPK usually means ovulation is imminent or already happening, so having DTD already certainly will help, as well doing it on the day of. But also, you have to realise that OPKs are fallible. They can't always perfectly tell you when you're ovulating (because they can be higher or lower in quality or your urine can be more or less concentrated, etc.). They're helpful, like charting CM or temp, to give you an idea of a pattern and once you understand the pattern, you can plan to DTD a lot around those most fertile days. In our case, I know when I ovulated (though only via charting temp and CM - CM was by far the most helpful thing I charted), and we DTD 4 days before, the day before and the day of. Who knows what actually worked, but I think the more the better. But ideally don't wait until just the day of ovulation as you risk missing it if your OPK is off and actually it was the day before, or one of you just isn't up for it that day.

Ideally, I would say you should be doing both. A positive OPK usually means ovulation is imminent or already happening, so having DTD already certainly will help, as well doing it on the day of. But also, you have to realise that OPKs are fallible. They can't always perfectly tell you when you're ovulating (because they can be higher or lower in quality or your urine can be more or less concentrated, etc.). They're helpful, like charting CM or temp, to give you an idea of a pattern and once you understand the pattern, you can plan to DTD a lot around those most fertile days. In our case, I know when I ovulated (though only via charting temp and CM - CM was by far the most helpful thing I charted), and we DTD 4 days before, the day before and the day of. Who knows what actually worked, but I think the more the better. But ideally don't wait until just the day of ovulation as you risk missing it if your OPK is off and actually it was the day before, or one of you just isn't up for it that day.

Thanks for replying! I've never done the temping thing so i might try that as well to see if it does coincide with when I'm actually getting a positive

I keep reading DTD every other day during your 5 day fertile window works best as well but I seem to ovulate on a different day each cycle whcih is annoying! Last one was day 19 and one before day 15 x

Mine was from dtd on cd 11 and cd14 only. We were Ntnp. I got positive opk on day 13 and 14. I use the clear blue smiley face as I like to know when I ovulate. Bfp 10dpo.

Mine was from dtd on cd 11 and cd14 only. We were Ntnp. I got positive opk on day 13 and 14. I use the clear blue smiley face as I like to know when I ovulate. Bfp 10dpo.

also what is ntnp ha?

Not trying not preventing as in not actively Ttc just going with the flow :) I'm sure I caught the egg on cd 14.

My Ovulation Chart
Is a link to my charts including my current bfp chart. I dtd 2 and 3 days before my positive opk and on the second day of my positive opk (first day if I only used fmu). Confirmed with bbt I had sex day of O (most likely the winner), O-3, and 0-4.

Keep in mind even with perfect timing there is generally only a 20% chance. Gl!

My Ovulation Chart
Is a link to my charts including my current bfp chart. I dtd 2 and 3 days before my positive opk and on the second day of my positive opk (first day if I only used fmu). Confirmed with bbt I had sex day of O (most likely the winner), O-3, and 0-4.

Keep in mind even with perfect timing there is generally only a 20% chance. Gl!

Thank you x

OPKs are only a general guide. It takes a few hrs for the hormone to get tou your urine so if you o quickly you might have o'd before you get the positive. On the other hand some women get positives for a couple of days before they o. They say there is a very short time after you o that the egg is good for so waiting until after might not give the sperm a chance to reach the egg in time.

With DS we hadnt dtd in a few days so I jumped OH in the middle of the day when I got my positive OPK, lol. I got an even stronger line for the next couple of days though so I'd guess I didn't actually o that day. Ayway it worked :).

This time we'd dtd a couple of times in the 3 days before the positive OPK.

OPKs are only a general guide. It takes a few hrs for the hormone to get tou your urine so if you o quickly you might have o'd before you get the positive. On the other hand some women get positives for a couple of days before they o. They say there is a very short time after you o that the egg is good for so waiting until after might not give the sperm a chance to reach the egg in time.

With DS we hadnt dtd in a few days so I jumped OH in the middle of the day when I got my positive OPK, lol. I got an even stronger line for the next couple of days though so I'd guess I didn't actually o that day. Ayway it worked :).

This time we'd dtd a couple of times in the 3 days before the positive OPK.

Thanks hun! i keep hearing that people were DTD in the 3 days leading up to ovulation & im sure this is where i've been going wrong

Going to jump OH every other day from today I think as i'm on 9 now and should be ovulating mid week lol :happydance:

I just got my possitive yesterday, we are in out 2nd month of ntnp and only actually had sex 3 days this cycle on days 9, 12 and 18 so was a huge shock to find out I'm pregnant already especially since it took 18 months of actively trying to fall with my son so being more relaxed definately helped:)

Hope you get your possitive soon :)

I just got my possitive yesterday, we are in out 2nd month of ntnp and only actually had sex 3 days this cycle on days 9, 12 and 18 so was a huge shock to find out I'm pregnant already especially since it took 18 months of actively trying to fall with my son so being more relaxed definately helped:)

wow thats lucky :happydance:

wow thats lucky :happydance:

Your telling me I still don't quite believe it and I got a possitive digi this morning

This time we dtd 4 days before ovulation and got a bfp had no other contact around ovulation! We were very suprised x

Best to have the sperm waiting there in the fallopian tube for the egg to drop. So, as you've already gathered from other responses, best to dtd on the days leading up to O. Good luck, hun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->