Own room disaster. Help!

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
For the first 27 months of my daughters life she slept in my room as we had a one bedroom flat. We moved to our 2 bed house but she just would not go in to her own room (we put it down to moving house, her new brother arriving and potty training) we tried again last night and it was hell. She went to bed fine but woke at 3am scared and screamed for an hour which woke her brother who was 5 feet away. I eventually took her to my bed (which is a step back from her having her bed in my room)

What now? she's scared of the dark so has a glow bear. She likes a drink of water at night so has her table with a glass of water. Help!

My 3 year old is also scared of the dark so he has a night light and we leave his door wide open with the bathroom light on (its across the hall).

Give it time. It's normal for kids to wake in the night and need you, even if it's hard, and it will take some adjustment. We bedshared from birth and definitely mine wouldn't have been sleeping well yet in a room by herself at 27 months. She still woke a couple times a night, and though she went to bed in her room, she would usually come in to us at some point when she wanted to. I would just find something that works for all of you and take it slow.

Does she start the night in her own room? If she hasn't been doing this already, I would start there. Put her to bed in her room, but then also keep a mattress on the floor in your room for her to come in if she needs to. Mine literally used to get up and just come in and I barely woke up many nights, but it meant we all slept better and then we just slowly transitioned from there. We also had a gro clock so she could see if it was morning yet or not (because it's always dark in her room). That helped a lot. One day she just announced that she wanted to sleep all night in her own room and get up when the sun on her clock came up, and that was it. We took away the mattress in our room. She woke up a bit for maybe the first week or so, but we just sat with her and helped her fall back asleep. After that, she's slept through pretty much every night in her own room. But we didn't do that until 3.5. She just wasn't ready until then and we like sleep so we did what we needed to for everyone to get plenty of sleep.

If you don't want a mattress in your room and one of you needs to put her back to bed in her own room, divide and conquer. One of you take the baby and one of you take her. I would have them in separate rooms if they are waking each other up, at least until things settle. If you're BF, you do the night feeds with the baby and your partner can settle her when she wakes, that way you're both getting sleep. And just stick with it. A gro clock might help, but for us, it was just doing it when we were all ready and being consistent.

Thanks for the advice. She's now 3 so think she's got better understanding of what's happening so going to just go with it. We have a seperate divan bed in our room so she can come to that if she wakes during hrs night. We don't have the option of having them in seperate rooms unless I take my son in with me but then if she came through it would mean 4 of us in one room.

we got her an LED night light today and plan is to leave the doors open when we go to bed. Hoping for a better night as my husband is working the next 9 days straight so will need a rest at some point. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->