• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paid to breastfeed

It's just a terrible idea! More money should go into training professionals. I gave up breast feeding very early because the MW told me (very judgmentally) that I'd never be able to breastfeed properly due to becoming very ill a few days PP and relying on formula for that one day. I could have tried pumping during that time but I was told (by another midwife) it was pointless because I couldn't get any milk out by hand, so I'd get none with the pump either. I later asked the same MW for some help and she dropped a leaflet on my bedside table, next to three copies of the exact same leaflet.

Now I found out much too late that the information I was given was ludicrous! But that was two head midwives, two different days. A separate midwife told me I'd need the curtain shut while I tried to breastfeed (I was in there a week and had breastfed plenty of times infront of the other mums), she shut me out as if I was doing something grotesque. Another told me that 20 minutes was a very long feed. The 'advice' given by some professionals is bloody ridiculous. I was terrified and thought I was harming my baby by trying so I gave up very quickly. I had one home visit after leaving hospital and they weren't bothered, just handed me more leaflets. You trust that these people are giving you the best help, and if they're not you assume you can't be helped.

No amount of money can help mothers if there's no proper support there. Formula feeding is already a very costly option. How much is a can of formula, about £7? Say a can a week for 12 months, that's £364. If that's not already an incentive to make new mums want to breastfeed, a voucher for £200 isn't going to do much is it?

I think putting the money into breastfeeding support for new mums would make more sense.

I agree....I so badly wanted to breastfeed my son and did until he was around 13/14 weeks. He suddenly started feeding as though he was a newborn and it was before I found this site. I was shattered and sore and disheartened at it getting worse and me feeling as though I'd 'lost how to do it' - if my HV/MW made me feel comfortable enough to ask the questions, I would have realised that he was on a growth spurt and 'powered' through.

It's only a trial, I'll be interested to see if it works. It's being trialled in areas where the breastfeeding rate is very low, so obviously these people are either choosing not to/not supported enough. I guess if it does help surely that's a good thing? It does seem a bit odd to me, but there are lots of people who would prefer to bottle feed and maybe they'll think twice.

It will only work if they put the money into their support services as well, I will be interested to see the results of the trial but feel it will only be relevant if they reveal what support services were offered within the scheme and how they differ cross country.

How exactly do they prove whether someone is breastfeeding or not? It's a ridiculous idea, the state really needs to stop thinking it can try and control women and their bodies.

There is no 'proving you're still breastfeeding' it's done on trust of the person saying they still are. And IMO if you're willing to land £200 in your back pocket just to breastfeed then you're also probably willing to lie about it.

Terrible idea, people should breastfeed because it's the best to give the baby the best start they can, anyone should want to do that.

If you don't, then spend your money on formula

Dont see the point? I could have been offered £1000 and I still wouldn't have, Doesn't bother me though.

Money can be spent in better ways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->