Pain after Foley catheter during epidural?

AthenaPlusOne

Trying for Bean #2
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I had a foley catheter, an obvious necessity during my epidural, and had issues since. It's been a week since I had my son and the passed couple days it's been pretty painful to urinate and even just sitting around is starting to hurt quite a bit. I don't know if it just started hurting or if I'm just noticing because the pain from stitches and such is starting to lessen, but either way it's very uncomfortable.

I've never had a catheter before. Is this pain normal or could I have an infection of some kind?

I didn't feel no pain from urinating due to the catheter, are you sure it's not from the actual stitches?

Only pain I had was from the stitches, urinating didn't hurt cause I'd always pour warm water over it whilst urinating.

Think you should definitely check this out with your doctor though x

Thought I'd add, sitting around was quite painful for me too especially at only 1 week, everything was still sore.

It could possibly be a UTI... by chance do you have a latex allergy/sensitivity? I do, and they catheterized me with a latex catheter, i had a lot of the symptoms you described- hurt like the dickens cause it cause a lot of inflammation.

I was sore and felt "weird" for quite a while, maybe a month or 2, after a foley catheter too. It just felt like there was constant pressure on my urethra. That could have been from birth, I suppose, but all of that trauma was further back for me. If I have another, I will REFUSE a cath. I didn't even have an epi and they put one in during stitches without my consent. Urg.

There is a slight (rare) possibility that they can cause infections. So i'd go back to your doctor.

I had some pain in my urethra in the first week or so after my epidural, my midwife suggested I drink cranberry juice in case I was getting an infection. So I drank a carton a day for 3 days and it helped so much! I started feeling better the second day. Obviously she did say that if the cranberry juice didn't help to go to the docs before it got bad, but if you just have the start of an infection cranberry has been shown to help because it makes your wee more acidic which kills bacteria.

With my first I had that problem. It was very painful for a good few weeks but eventually went away. Didn't have any problems this time around. Think it has a lot to do with who puts it in.

I had trouble going pee a bit, but it only lasted a few days.

:flower:

When i had mine the cathoder gave me a UTI ...Id talk to your doctor :flower:

I had pain for a while after and went to the doctor thinking I had a uti. I didn't and eventually the pain was gone by probably a month or two. My doctor tried to tell me it was like diaper rash on my urethra from the pads. :saywhat:

But he did say put some baby diaper ointment on it and it actually did help it not hurt so try that!

thanks ladies.Yesterday I gained a fever and a lot of lower back pain, today/overnight I added in soreness in every single joint in my body. Definitely saying at this point that it's an infection. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->