• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pain relief during labour.

I started on gas and air when I got to 4cm, and it seemed to make everything much more intense. I felt dizzy and out of it and I absolutely hated it, though it did help with the pain so I kept using it.

The midwives talked me into pethidine later, and that obviously made me totally out of it. I had two shots of that, and after about 8 hours stuck at 6cm I had an epidural. That took away the pain instantly, pretty much, and though I swore blind I wanted a natural birth, what I got was an obstructed back to back labour with a 10lb baby, so my contractions were achieving pretty much nothing, for all their effort. In the end I had an emcs.

I felt for so so long that I'd failed for not giving birth vaginally like I'd planned to, and for having the epidural I didn't want, but I didn't know I had a giant baby :( I can't really remember much of my daughter's first few hours because I was so dazed from the pethidine still, and she was sleepy too, and I want to avoid that next time, as next baby will be our last so I'll never get to do it again.

Next time I'll be looking into hypnobirthing/TENS/whatever I need to do so I can stay active and get the (hopefully much smaller) baby out via vbac. I would never judge anyone for having pain relief, and an epidural is not a cop-out...nobody can claim they know what another person's pain is like, and it's not a weakness to feel pain or to want relief from pain.

For me the pain relief options I had just weren't for me and I don't want them again, but hopefully next labour will be more straightforward and I'll be better prepared for the pain and more able to cope through it. That's just what I want to do based on my own experiences though - I'd never tell anyone else they should try and go without if they wanted it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->