Painful farts in 7 week old

Aphy

Reaction score
Our lb is 7 weeks today and for the past week or so,he has really been struggling with painful winds (farts). It's the worst at night,usually starts from around 02:00 and only comes right roughly around 07:00 and throughout this time he tosses and turns and moans while pushing, or trying to push,winds out. He is breastfed and we have given him colic drops to see if that helps but it doesn't. We do bicycle his legs and rub his stomach but that only sometimes gets a wind or two out but not enough to actually calm him. Any other suggestions that we haven't tried yet? Him and I are both getting little restful sleep as result of this and he isn't the best sleeper during the day either so this is all a recipe for one grumpy difficult baby!

This is frustrating, but it is normal and it will pass - both of mine have suffered the same around the same age as their digestive systems really start to get going. Rather than just cycling the legs, I've found you have to cycle, then stretch them out straight before pushing both knees up to the chest, first to one side and then the other, then to the middle and repeat until they stop farting! Even then, you probably won't get every fart but if you do it a few times a day, say at each change while the baby's bum is naked lol, it can make a difference to how comfortable they are in general. Other than doing this, just ride it out and it will pass as his digestive system matures. He won't ever remember he had this unfortunate problem, while it will probably haunt your nightmares forever! :haha:

Have you tried putting his knees bent towards his chest? Then hold for several seconds and repeat. This worked great for all of my babies and often dispelled gas that seemed to be stuck.

Had the same issues with my son. He cried and sometimes seemed to scream when trying to pass gas. Bicycle kicks and massages didn't help. The only thing that helped him was getting him a warm bath and letting him relax enough to pass the gas. The biggest help, however, was getting on probiotic drops. These have totally made a day and night difference. We no longer have the crying and he is able to pass gas in a normal way. Thank goodness. The brand we use is Gerber. I'm in the US. They are worth every cent.

Try gas drops. And also see if a change in diet helps (if you're breastfeeding). Dairy is usually the issue. I'd try a few days of going dairy free and see if it helps.

I agree that trying to get as much out during the day as possible can help nights be a little easier. My husband used to be really good at it. He'd come home in the evening and lay her on his lap and then play with her legs (at first he didn't know he was becoming a pro at getting farts out he was just playing with her!). She'd be so happy to see him that she'd relax which I think helped too, as did the fact that he is really warm so lying on his legs relaxed her muscles too.

A couple suggestions: you can try taking a probiotic yourself. If your lo is breastfed, taking a probiotic may help the digestive system. My lactation consultant recommended this to me and it really has helped my lo. Also, there is a product called Windi. It's a small device you insert into your lo's rectum to help release gas. But be prepared for a potentially messy end result. I haven't had to try it yet but other moms I know have had great results.

A couple suggestions: you can try taking a probiotic yourself. If your lo is breastfed, taking a probiotic may help the digestive system. My lactation consultant recommended this to me and it really has helped my lo. Also, there is a product called Windi. It's a small device you insert into your lo's rectum to help release gas. But be prepared for a potentially messy end result. I haven't had to try it yet but other moms I know have had great results.

I'm very surprised an LC recommended this. How does a probiotic that remains in the gut (will not pass in to your blood) get in to breastmilk? Not blaming you Pride, you are just passing on what you were told.

As far as I know breastmilk is the best probiotic around as it contains oligosacchirides (food for gut bacteria) that can't be got any other way.

Some babies use the wrong muscles when farting and pooping and clench instead of releasing. They get over it in time as they develop and it is very normal.

I've read the same thing that a probiotic taken by mom will get in bm and pass to baby. Forgot where I saw it though.

I had the same issues at 6/7 weeks. He would cry after every feeding and squirm and because he didn't poop daily it got increasingly worse until he poooed. He was also spitting up so much he would choke at night/not breathe. I ended up having to cut out dairy, if I even have a slice of cheese the pained gas comes back. I also fortify my milk because of his low birth weight, so we switched from neosure to Alimentum (tastes awful and made his gas worse!!!) and finally to pro sensitive. He still has gas but no more crying or vomiting :). I really miss dairy though lol

I'm very surprised an LC recommended this. How does a probiotic that remains in the gut (will not pass in to your blood) get in to breastmilk? Not blaming you Pride, you are just passing on what you were told.

As far as I know breastmilk is the best probiotic around as it contains oligosacchirides (food for gut bacteria) that can't be got any other way.

Some babies use the wrong muscles when farting and pooping and clench instead of releasing. They get over it in time as they develop and it is very normal.

Just been looking at the research on this! Wow the human body is ace and weird. There's no evidence that the probiotic itself travels in the blood but somehow bacteria present in the bowel "appears" in the breastmilk....mind is blown....

Once your body's bacteria changes it does 'spread' around the body, yes. If mum has a healthy digestive system she can pass the good bacteria onto her baby through vaginal birth, skin to skin contact and breastfeeding. Sounds kooky but the research is starting to get there. Skin to skin is incredibly important if you have a c section as the baby doesn't pick up bacteria from your nether regions and instead goes the sterile route. You want them to pick up your good bacteria and having skin to skin is a good way to help this along.

Just been looking at the research on this! Wow the human body is ace and weird. There's no evidence that the probiotic itself travels in the blood but somehow bacteria present in the bowel "appears" in the breastmilk....mind is blown....

Pretty wild, right? The human body is pretty crazy and awesome. Especially with all the ways it protects our LO's. Regardless, since taking the probiotic my LO hasn't had much, if any, has pains. She still has tons of gas, as is typical of a newborn, but not associated pain. I hope it stays that way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->