painful speculum 35 wks?

nuffmac

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Well i have been having bleeds the last few weeks so have been in and outta hospital. Yesterday i had another one and they did a speculum exam to check my cervix. Midwife said it wud be like a smear test.

It was the MOST PAINFUL thing ever! From the minute she put it in it was excruciating. I could barely breath. Everything just felt so swollen. I had an internal ultrasound a dew weeks ago and that felt similar but not so bad. I said it to the midwives and they said it shouldnt feel that bad and ask doc. So i asked doc and i think she thought i was exaggerating and said it wud be uncomfortable.

Anyway i am now dreading labour. I usually have a high pain threshold but i wont be able for that level of pain!

Has anyone else found these exams this painful? Cud the bleeds be making it so sore?

I had a speculum yesterday and it hurt too. I think that they are a very unnatural thing for a vagina to take though. The vagina is designed to take a baby's head and the baby's head adapts to the vagina x

Copied this from a post I made earlier today:

So I had my Strep B test yesterday. My OB swabbed outside of my rectum, so no internal there, but she used a freaking speculum for my vaginal swab. Lemme tell you, she is not a good speculum user. She was really kind of rough and she cranked the speculum open before she adjusted it to see. She told me I was likely to bleed afterward and spotting was normal, but if I had a period level bleed to call. Thanks.

Then she followed up with a manual exam to measure dilation. I'm pretty sure she was trying to fit her whole hand in there! She told me I was 1 cm. I'm sure I was after she jammed her finger in there! Oy vey... Starting to hope I go a little early just so she doesn't get to do that anymore. :grr:

BTW: I had to wipe 3-4 times yesterday before I put my pants back on after my exam because there was quite a bit of blood. I also think I may have lost a fair-sized chunk of my mucus plug last night complete with pink and red streaks... I've been losing little yellow pieces that regenerate since about 12 weeks though. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the speculum is extra rough on already tender parts... Sorry you had to go through it too! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->