Painting a room- tips!

Eleanor ace

Reaction score
So I've decided I'm going to paint our lounge while DH is away for a few days, as a lovely suprise/horrible nightmare for him. I really want to get it right so that he doesn't cry when he gets home :haha:. I've only painted once before and it was a disaster- I got drunk and painted my room bright baby pink and my parents made me live with it for 2 years; it wasn't a good pain job either.
Does anyone have any tips for getting it right, and hopefully making it not take too long?? So far I've worked out that I need to put sheets down, masking tape over the skirting boards and use a roller. Do I need to wash the walls first? I'm hoping not because I'm really lazy :blush:.
Anyone know how long it takes to paint a room (I think it's 16ft)??
I'm thining it might just be easier to buy a tin of paint and a bottle of wine again...

I just slapped it on! I could tell that's what the previous owners had done because there was paint on the skirting boards so it wasn't really neat to start with. Masking tape is a good idea though

We always put painters tape around baseboards, and any windows or anything that you don't want to get paint on. We use paint brushes in the corners, close to ceiling and close to baseboards, and roller to paint in between all that. Use a good primer beforehand too, if there is already color on the walls that may interfere with the color you are wanting to switch to.

I got my living room room done in an afternoon :thumbup:

Use a brush round edges and corners, use masking tape round edges, keep way from PINK :haha: he will kill you. X

Masking tape around switches and borders etc (but remember to remove as soon as you can otherwise it can be really difficult!) then it's simple really use the paint tray with the bumpy bit for the paint rollers so you dont slap tons and tons on at once and let it drip, use a brush around the difficult bits. If it's a big colour difference then you'll likely need more than one coat, however it's important to remember it will look patchy at first then dry completely differently and much better. Sorry those are really obvious thing, I'd definitely recommend watching some vids on youtube about it :) xx

Thanks for the tips ladies! It's good to know that it isn't such a big task as it seems- my research this afternoon made it seem like I had to basically rebuild the house before I could start!

Use a brush round edges and corners, use masking tape round edges, keep way from PINK :haha: he will kill you. X

It is only very slightly pink, I was thinking I could tell him it's called "burnt marshmallow" or something, he probably wouldn't even notice it's pink- or that's what I've been telling myself :haha:.

Dont use a roller, use pads. They dont splatter and you get a really even finish quickly.

I fid the paint goes alot further too

Hubby is a perfectionist and I'm not much better so everything takes weeks here lol. Just finished three rooms 2 days ago argh. I need to other rooms freshened up and I'm really tempted to just pay someone haha.

Use a really good quality one coat paint, otherwise it can take 2-3 coats which will take you days as you need to wait for it to fully dry between coats!

Save the wine for after :lol:

Use a really good quality one coat paint, otherwise it can take 2-3 coats which will take you days as you need to wait for it to fully dry between coats!

Depends on the color though, some colors require multiple coats even though they are high quality, good name brands. Just nature of the color. I painted my boys bathroom fire engine red, and it took 3 coats:dohh: I was not happy since I had paid nearly $60 a can at Sherwin Williams for the highest quality paint they had for a bathroom, and that shade or red, but in fairness they did warn that reds typically take more than one coat to look really even.

dulux paintpod is fantastic. When we moved in to our house I did our bedroom and was so quick and then masking tape and make sure cover up carpet etc.... dulux do an edging paint brush which I liked as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->