Paleo Diet

JAJuly2013

Mom and Wife
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
Just curious if anyone here is also on the paleo diet or has been on the paleo diet while pregnant.

I am new to this life style and have only just made the change over the weekend. My family made this change because we want to be healthier and because I'm diabetic (not GD, Type 2) so I will really benefit from this diet overall.

I'm enjoying it so far but I'm concerned maybe I wont be eating enough calories. I realize the foods I'm eating now are more nutrient dense and healthier but I'm only eating about 1200 calories all together even though I feel like I'm eating a ton! I am eating lots of fruit and veggies, eggs, nuts and meat. No dairy, processed foods, gluten or sugar.

If anyone wants to share how their pregnancy has been or was, that would be greatly appreciated!

I mostly follow a paleo diet as i have very arthritic knees and find this keeps inflammation down. When i was ttc a naturopath doctor had me tweak my paleo diet to not include dairy as most people react to dairy and I realize it's not a part of paleo. I did intolerance food testing on over 300 foods and dairy didn't bother me so i've incorporated this back in. Every now and then i have weaknesses like this morning when i had a grainy cinnamon roll from Second Cup but over all it's helped me keep lean, trim and not feel inflamed, especially when i work out.

You can eat way more stuff on this diet and still not approach the calories that come with a carb-o-liscious bready/pasta/rice diet. Your body will also not hit sugar spikes like it used to and plummet an hour later making you feel ravenous. It's easier (as you already prob know on blood sugar). You'll feel great. There's loads of awesome paleo recipes on pinterest.

I mostly follow a paleo diet as i have very arthritic knees and find this keeps inflammation down. When i was ttc a naturopath doctor had me tweak my paleo diet to not include dairy as most people react to dairy and I realize it's not a part of paleo. I did intolerance food testing on over 300 foods and dairy didn't bother me so i've incorporated this back in. Every now and then i have weaknesses like this morning when i had a grainy cinnamon roll from Second Cup but over all it's helped me keep lean, trim and not feel inflamed, especially when i work out.

You can eat way more stuff on this diet and still not approach the calories that come with a carb-o-liscious bready/pasta/rice diet. Your body will also not hit sugar spikes like it used to and plummet an hour later making you feel ravenous. It's easier (as you already prob know on blood sugar). You'll feel great. There's loads of awesome paleo recipes on pinterest.

Thank you for responding. I do enjoy the diet and I feel great. It's nice to know my husband and son are eating way more fruits and veggies than before. I do still crave bread though. that is a hard one for me. And some corn products. I have to admit, even though I feel like I ate a ton of food yesterday I still didn't have that many calories all together and I was starving by the evening so I had to have some grapes. I know it will be an adjustment I just hope I'm eating enough.

I was fully paleo for a while but found that for me, as the level and intensity of my exercise went up I just felethargic and didn't perform as well I could. I have incorporated some more carbs into my diet like rice, and bread like pitta bread or wraps for that extra boost and I feel much better. I am dairy free as I have psoriasis and find it flares my skin up.

Paleo is fine when you're pregnant but you definitely need more than 1200 calories which I've never had a problem hitting. Maybe try adding some snacks like jerky, nuts and seeds or protein shakes to get the calories in :)

I second the pinterest suggestion, there are loads of "cheats" there if you're craving breads....banana/egg "pancakes" and "spaghetti" made out of zucchini or squash are two of my favorites. Super filling and you can't tell the difference :)

I didn't do paleo (I don't call it a diet because really to reap the benefits it has to be a new way of eating long term) while pregnant but the 85:15 rule would allow you to indulge in three non-paleo meals a week for some flexibility. I think if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to add in healthy whole grains there. For me steel cut oats, quinoa and basmati are still allowances I make. In reasonable portions they shouldn't hinder what you're trying to accomplish :thumbup:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feed back! My husband does want to do the 85/15 rule so I think i will try to add in a few healthy carbs to make sure I'm getting enough calories. I will be discussing this with my doctor tomorrrow as well.

I did make some banana pancakes the other day that were pretty good so I plan to make those again soon! :thumbup:

My husband is on it and I only follow at night but it has helped keep the heartburn away.

I was on it pre-pregnancy, but my cravings are so out there that I finally said nevermind and I'll get back on it when the baby gets here. I do love it though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->