Panic attacks

Ive had them before. For me it felt like a weight sitting on my chest and my throat closing so I couldn't breathe properly or catch my breath. I also loose track of time... for example a minute feels like 5 sort of thing. Although its different for everyone, my OH doesn't feel like that when he has them.

xxx

Think I may have been having them recently. Can't catch my breath, feels like my throat is closing and my heart goes so fast I feel like i'm going to have a heart attack.

Both me and my oh are stressed, we just seem to be having bad luck after bad luck at the moment and I don't want to worry him if it is panic attacks. Is there anything that can help?

I have them very very bad.

I have this pain rip through my chest like i am dying, like i am having a heart attack, i literally sceam out im dying and i cant move cos i cant breath.
I sometimes have to go to hospital for oxygen cos i work myself up so much . It just feels like your whole chest and top back area are caving in.

Always have a paper bag around and breath in and out of it , takes time will will enventually work, get OH to rub your back telling you everything is fine and try and get him to take your mind off of what is happening.
I had to have these tranqulizer sort of tablets for mine but never took them , i fight it on my own with OH , when i feel it happening i breath slowly and think of something totally different to what is worrying me, i ususally catch it in time.

But it depends if you know if one is happening? Or they just come one ?
:hugs: i know how awful they are and wouldnt wish them on anyone , sorry your going trough this :(

At the moment it happens so fast, its scary. I can't talk when it happens because it takes my breath away.

Hopefully things will get easier for us and I hope this will disappear just as fast as it came on, but am worried because I suffered with depression & anxiety in 2006 and I don't want to go back there.

:hugs: I havent suffered from them I just didnt want to read and run :hugs:

I would go to your GP and see if theres anything you can do. Good luck :)

xxx

Heya sweetheart, I suffered with them for a long time, and boy they can be scary. The thing is when they set in it feels so bad that you start thinking is it my chest is it my heart whats wrong etc etc. And that makes it worse. The only thing I found that helped me was counting, I couldn't get comfortable in any position really, but the counting gave me a focus that took away from the panic. I hope you're okay hunnie but I would go and see the doc if I were you x

I had them very bad for 3 years, also gave me Agrophobia. Couldn't go out the house for a long time. Felt like I was dying-Like my body didn't recognise my own touch, and that everything was wizzing around me a million miles an hour and when people talked it was like being under water and their words were muffled and far away.

One doctor put me on Beta Blockers which didn't help, another sent me to counselling. and finally the last one gave me the absolute best advice, which was: I am under no circumstances going to die and that I -will- get better. This was enough for me to get strength and take it a day at a time.

I still have panic attacks from time to time now but I deal with it alot better these days, and try not to think too much about it.

It's really just your bodies way of protecting you. With a very basic human emotion of Fight or Flight. I do hope they get easier for you. The best things that worked for me were Mint chewing gum. A Walkman, and trying not to think overly too much about it. Which is alot easier said than done I know >.<

I had them very bad for 3 years, also gave me Agrophobia. Couldn't go out the house for a long time. Felt like I was dying-Like my body didn't recognise my own touch, and that everything was wizzing around me a million miles an hour and when people talked it was like being under water and their words were muffled and far away.

One doctor put me on Beta Blockers which didn't help, another sent me to counselling. and finally the last one gave me the absolute best advice, which was: I am under no circumstances going to die and that I -will- get better. This was enough for me to get strength and take it a day at a time.

I still have panic attacks from time to time now but I deal with it alot better these days, and try not to think too much about it.

It's really just your bodies way of protecting you. With a very basic human emotion of Fight or Flight. I do hope they get easier for you. The best things that worked for me were Mint chewing gum. A Walkman, and trying not to think overly too much about it. Which is alot easier said than done I know >.<

Well, you just said exactly what I was going to say! I have been there myself and it is utterly horrible! One thing that did surprise me, was how many other people suffer/have suffered from it - just look back at the answers in this thread!
If yu don't want to go straight back to your doc, you could try Calms, or something similar called Quiet Life. They just help to chill you out a bit and may help. You can get them from any chemist, normally off the shelf (you shouldn't need to ask for them).
Hope you start to come out the other side soon hun x x:hug:

Ive had them before, they are not nice.

Its how the other girls say it is, you cant breathe properly and when you cant breathe properly you go a bit dizzy coz ur not getting enough oxygen.

Personally id go to the doctors and ask to make sure...but when i had mine, id try and clear my head and then start breathing calmly and deep...after a few minutes you start to feel calmer coz your in control of your breathing, and whatever set your panic attack off is in the back of your mind coz ur more focused on breathing right.

I hope that helps, its what helped me with mine : :hugs:

Can't catch you breathe & tight chest (like someone said a weight) I have gone 'fuzzy' and blacked out around me. Use to be bad but its always been anxiety that has kicked it off.

I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for the past 18 months - they are truly horrible and it's hard to remember what it was like not to feel a bit on the edge.

When I get a panic attack I get this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach - like something terrible is going to happen, feel dizzy and spaced out - like the world is carrying on around me, can't concentrate on anything, my breathing gets very deep and forced - then I just need to escape and get somewhere safe (like home!).

I have found a few things to help get me through, as I do not want to take medication.

Slow controlled breathing - in for a count of 7, out for a count of 11
Breathing through a paper bag, or use your jumper/t-shirt if no available bag! Losing too much carbon dioxide is what makes the symptoms worse, so its good to breath some back in - but not too much!
Rescue remedy (widely available in the uk)
Homeopathic Arg Nit - prescribed to me by a Homeopathic Dr, good for certain anxiety problems
CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) - changing the way you think - there are lots of websites and books on this
Self Help for your nerves - book by Claire Weekes - a wonderful book for anyone suffering from anxiety.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Ive only started suffering from these since I lost my daughter in April & can sympathise with you as they are very frightening.

I agree with everyone else about the techniques to try but would still mention how you are feeling to your GP.

Hope you feel better hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->