Panicking past myself...coliform!?

.Shopaholic.

Pregnant (Expecting No 2)
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my midwife booking appointment last week and she took my bloods & sent a urine sample off. I checked the results myself yesterday (naughtily) as I work in the hospital so have access to the computer system. Everything is absolutely fine within my blood which was reassuring but on my urine sample, it says there is a coliform culture. Listed below that was 3 antibiotics. I am absolutely panicking past myself now as I know it's something surely that i shouldn't have in my urine sample?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

I've no idea but Im quite sure they are going to ring you on Monday to arrange a prescription x

Thanks for the reply....I hope so! God I need to calm down, never googling ever again....so easy to do :(

Hi. I believe it's something you get from bacteria in animal faeces. Do you have pets? Maybe cats? If so litter boxes are a HUGE no no in pregnancy- do not go near them. And make sure any pets you go near are groomed and washed regularly.

Google is the worst! If they were super concerned surely they would have contacted you immediately x

Coliforms growth in UTIs are pretty normal (I'm a Microbiology nurse - I see it all the time). Give your midwife a call on Monday to see if she thinks you need antibiotics. -x-

hi Hopeful, yes I have a cat! Haven't been touching her litterbox as of recently but before I knew I was definitey the one cleaning it and emptying it out etc. I am so worried I have harmed my little bean now, that's my panic. How long has it been there eeek!?

I was thinking that Moomin, the results where out in the morning yesterday so surely someone would have been in touch yesterday. Guess I need to be hopeful!

Thanks so much purdy, that's very reassuring, I will be indeed x

hi Hopeful, yes I have a cat! Haven't been touching her litterbox as of recently but before I knew I was definitey the one cleaning it and emptying it out etc. I am so worried I have harmed my little bean now, that's my panic. How long has it been there eeek!?

I was thinking that Moomin, the results where out in the morning yesterday so surely someone would have been in touch yesterday. Guess I need to be hopeful! x

Oh well hopefully if it was the litter box you've delegated that job off now so it won't reoccur!
But i agree if urgent they would've contacted you immediately!

You wouldn't have picked it up from animals - it's something that the natural flora of your bladder normally keeps in check - but pregnancy often throws everything off. I had verminous UTIs with my 1st. Please try not to get to stressed. -x-

You're a star thank you. I have been super careful with her, making sure I have stayed away. You've certainly helped the stress levels! I am normally such a rational person with everyone else but now it's me I am a wreck haha x

Haha - stupid iphone. Various! (Although venimous describes 1 or 2 of the very well!).

Sorry if I'm wrong on the animal faeces thing....I got that off wiki....but perhaps I'm misreading it?

"Coliforms can be found in the aquatic environment, in soil and on vegetation; they are universally present in large numbers in the feces of warm-blooded animals. While coliforms themselves are not normally causes of serious illness, they are easy to culture and their presence is used to indicate that other pathogenic organisms of fecal origin may be present."

It is late here so brain may be misconstruing it!

You don't need to stay away from your cat. As long as you wash your hands after petting her and get hubby to change the litter. I've changed my cats litter with my boys and this pregnancy and everything is fine. I just always double wash my hands with anti bacteria soap every time.
Sounds like its just a UTI which you don't get from animals. :)
Try not to stress if it was super urgent they would have called right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->