Parents and school activities.

Bernie

Reaction score
I was just intrested to know how much do you do with your child/children at school? At my girls school they have a sponsered walked every summer and they do like for the parents to go but we dont have to. The last 2 years ive always had Millie at home being little and very demanding ive not been able to go with my eldest who was in nursery at the time. Now Millie is there at the nursery as its a school nursery i can go and when we get back in time for lunch the parents get a choice of having a school lunch or we can bring in a picnic. They have lots of things on normally which sometimes drives me crazy with what they expect the kids to bring in:wacko: Do you just let the kids get involved with the activites on thier own at school or are you very keen to get involved aswell? Of course for the parents that work this makes it difficult to do these things and those with LO,s still at home.

I will get involved in anything they invite parents to and I let OH know as soon as they tell us about them so he can try and get the day off or work from home to come too. IMO it's important for parents to show that school is important AND fun, if you've decided to send your child to school anyway.

We try and get involved as much as we can. For most things both of us go-I don't work and OH takes time out if work. If both can't go we make sure one if us can.
I think it's nice to support them. I don't want my children to feel like we never go. It's one of the things I'm dreading about having to find a job. OH is lucky-if he wants a couple if hours off in the middle of the day he just goes in really early it works an hour extra for a couple if nights-I doubt I'll be able to do that.

If I could, I would get more involved but generally it's on a day when I work & we get two days notice of events so too short notice to put annual leave in.

They have done a camping trip twice which I was going to do but was pissed off with the price (£30 per person, so £120 for us for two nights, however if we got free school dinners, it would have cost £10 per adult, children free. Not fair imo).

If I could, I would get more involved but generally it's on a day when I work & we get two days notice of events so too short notice to put annual leave in.

They have done a camping trip twice which I was going to do but was pissed off with the price (£30 per person, so £120 for us for two nights, however if we got free school dinners, it would have cost £10 per adult, children free. Not fair imo).

Wow thats is pricey:wacko: That winds me and my OH so much when they do that. We have to pay for school dinners aswell and when you have more then 1 at school gets quite expensive not just with school dinners but with school trips. Reception and year 1 tend to go on school go on trips together and come september i will have Olivia in year 1 and Millie in Reception:wacko: Come september its free school dinners for Reception,year 1 and year 2:happydance: But still i agree its not fair on people who pay for school dinners have to pay extra on school trips. I dont work either OH does his earnings are quite high. I have a social anxiety issue is the reason i ask about what you all get involved in and im thinking about going on a sponsered walk with my girls but worried about it:nope:

We go to all events & we pay loads, his school is private but we still have to pay for trips & extra activities. The only thing I don't attend is parents workshops, Omar is in KG1, those workshops are repeated every year, so I don't see a use to attend them now as most of them are related to primary school.

I wish I could go to more school functions. But my work schedule just does not allow it, especially when I often don't find out until a couple days before the event! If it's a performance or something special I will try to get time off or my husband will but money is really tight for us and honestly I HAVE TO work or bills don't get paid so it's not really an option to attend them all, there's an event every couple weeks they want parents to get involved in and I just can't make that happen.

My daughter goes to private school too and it feels like there is always something for parents to attend. I do get involved with most things, my husband not so much as he works but I really enjoy it and feel it's important too. There are also events at the school that are for parents only, we tend to skip most of those but they are social rather than school-related.

I really try to get involved. One of us go on every school trip, the children have something called an exit point each at the end of each topic and I go to that. I am volunteering for the road safety thing (this is for year two's and none of mine are year two but no harm in helping out). I do gardening club after school on a Thursday with them (at school, we plant things around the school, grow fruit and veg for the school etc) and First Aid at school on a Tuesday. Go to all assemblies etc.

I try and make sure someone goes. If its not me its either one of my parents. My dad less likely, but if it was something he'd enjoy more than my mum or I he'd go. He last did soap box build a few weeks ago. His dad never goes, purely as we have a bad relationship with him and my son although he likes my partner hes not happy telling him what to do yet.

When my LO starts school I will try my absolute hardest to make as many as I can.

Like others have said you want to support them with school, let them know how important it is. My parents never went to any school function and I remember how sad I was when I would see all of my friends parents and mine was never there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->