Party bags

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Planning my first child's party so please bear with the silly questions!

I know party bags are considered pretty important but I don't want to hand out plastic junk and spend a fortune on tackiness that will go in the bin (LO has actually had party bag toys that even I don't know what they're meant to be).

We're having a small party in our apartment. A few games, balloons, music, and a cupcake decorating session. LO is getting this rocket playhouse for his birthday so that will be up and I'll put his teepee in the living room too. I was also planning on hanging some clouds and stars from the ceiling as he wants a space theme, and then doing the usual buffet food. So very basic!

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 22.43.12.png

LO adores tattoos, and I've bought 24 transfer tattoos, enough for each child. I'm also gonna make party hats, this sort of style, for each child to wear at the party and keep. And I'll give them cake and let them take a balloon home if they want to. Now I was thinking, is it okay to just ask which tattoo they want and to put it on them when they're gonna leave, instead of doing party bags, or is this not good party etiquette? Do I have to put it in a party bag? If so, what else do I put in the bags apart from cake? All the lovely things like slinkies and bouncy balls are costly.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 21.47.25.png

Oh, and if baby siblings come along, do they need a party bag?

The party sounds lovely, I think at that age they just loving having their friends around and having fun. I'm sure they'll have a lovely time!

Now, as for party bags. I'm not a fan of the usual stuff that goes in them but I think most kids would be disappointed not to bring one home. It can get costly though so I can totally see why you want to avoid them.

How about getting them to build their own bag? Maybe while decorating their cupcakes (which I presume they will then eat?) they could decorate a rich tea biscuit which you could them wrap and pop in their bags. Cut out some masks for them to decorate with crayons, feathers, glitter etc to take home. They could choose a tattoo, add some cake, tie a balloon to the handle and they've got a reasonably priced party bag that they are probably quite proud of!

If you don't mind buying something else small for them you could do a pass the parcel with a little gift in each layer instead of the mask or biscuit. Maybe a mini notebook which is slightly less annoying than something plastic!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_2wfmzcxeil_b

Hope the party goes well and he enjoys it! X

Oh and as for siblings- it depends if they've been officially invited or not! If they're just coming because mum or dad have to bring them (eg no other childcare) then no bag but I would put an extra piece of cake in the bag and perhaps another balloon if you had enough. Babes in arms, no bag.

If, however, you've invited them specifically then yes, I'd do a bag.

The party sounds lovely, I think at that age they just loving having their friends around and having fun. I'm sure they'll have a lovely time!

Now, as for party bags. I'm not a fan of the usual stuff that goes in them but I think most kids would be disappointed not to bring one home. It can get costly though so I can totally see why you want to avoid them.

How about getting them to build their own bag? Maybe while decorating their cupcakes (which I presume they will then eat?) they could decorate a rich tea biscuit which you could them wrap and pop in their bags. Cut out some masks for them to decorate with crayons, feathers, glitter etc to take home. They could choose a tattoo, add some cake, tie a balloon to the handle and they've got a reasonably priced party bag that they are probably quite proud of!

If you don't mind buying something else small for them you could do a pass the parcel with a little gift in each layer instead of the mask or biscuit. Maybe a mini notebook which is slightly less annoying than something plastic!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_2wfmzcxeil_b

Hope the party goes well and he enjoys it! X

Thanks, that's actually a great idea, might do that with the biscuits! We were gonna do pass the parcel as well, with a gift in each layer, but those will probably be kept at the time and can't go in the party bag.

I've just found these on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-20-...Domain_3&var=470650811861&hash=item27f8d05aff

I was thinking I could put silver/white glitter in and put fairy dust or star dust on a little label, as LO has asked for a fairy/space theme.

Is a biscuit, tattoo, cake, and glitter enough? With a balloon tied to it and a hat to take home?

Oh and as for siblings- it depends if they've been officially invited or not! If they're just coming because mum or dad have to bring them (eg no other childcare) then no bag but I would put an extra piece of cake in the bag and perhaps another balloon if you had enough. Babes in arms, no bag.

If, however, you've invited them specifically then yes, I'd do a bag.

I think I'll invite the ones I know of specifically, but I don't know whether his school friends/child minder friends have siblings or not. I guess I could keep some extra bags just in case?

I think that would be lovely. A nice personal touch and goes with both the space theme and the decorating part of the party. I would say that's enough, party bags can get ridiculous and almost competitive in my opinion. DD went to a party last weekend and returned with a bag with 4 different packets of sweets, cake, a whistle, a ball, stickers, bubbles, bracelet AND an A4 colouring book! It was just too much I think.

If siblings turn up that you weren't expecting I really wouldn't give them a bag. The problem is if you have two extra bags and three siblings turn up you're sort of stuck. Or if no extras turn up you're left with two party bags that you don't need. DDs party was last weekend, I had four people not reply (so I did party bags in case they turned up) and one say yes who then didn't come. I then had five leftover bags. I only had one sibling come -her mum had explained she had nobody else to leave her with and had asked if I minded if she came. I think it's very presumptuous to bring a sibling without okaying it first.

Is a biscuit, tattoo, cake, and glitter enough? With a balloon tied to it and a hat to take home?

As long as it's not an American style biscuit, you'll be good. :thumbup:

The party sounds great and I wouldn't worry too much about goody bags. After a nice party with games & treats, they really don't need more to go home with. They still are a party essential, it tells everyone when it's time to get out. lol

Bags only for invited guests, you don't want to be stuck with extra goody bag items later. If you want, just get extra balloons for siblings. At the end of the party you can always give guests an extra one if you don't want them around the house.

For Ava's party, I gave each child a bubble wand instead of a party bag. Hopefully a lot more fun than the usual rubbish! Cost £1 each so worked out alot cheaper!

https://www.cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/ekmps/shops/podcmedia/images/big-bubble-sword-wand-1243-p.jpg

I usually do party bags, but for one main reason, whenever my son is at a party he never wants to leave, but as soon as I mention that he'll get a party bag to go home with it makes things sooooo much easier. So I do them in case it helps with other parents too lol I don't think the kids really care what's in the tbh, he's had ones that contained nothing but sweets and he was happy with that. Oh and one party we went to, the mum gave a plastic cup with sweets in with clear polythene tied with ribbon, and the kids loved them, and they prob cost barely anything to make

The party sounds lovely. As for the siblings thing I wouldn't expect a gift bag for my girls that weren't friends with the child whose party it is. I put tattoo 's in a gift bag for Poppy's party last year and some cheapy foam masks from Amazon and a piece of cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->