PCOS - GI Diet Success story within THREE WEEKS

Wtbam

Reaction score
Hi All

I wanted to post my story in the hope that it will help someone else!

I was diagnosed with PCOS through cysts on my ovaries and bloodwork when I was 18. From what I remember my periods were regular (ish) but I had bad facial hair and hair in places it shouldn't be (nipples, stomach etc!)

Until just recently, this didn't seem to be a problem, but when I came off Dianette (I was using it for contraception and anti androgen effect) and wanted to TTC, it became one.

The doctor told me to wait three months to see if my period would come naturally, but after my intial withdrawal bleed 3 days after I took my last pill (December 2012) of nothing, I began to worry.

During these three months I had joined B&B, started to chart my BBT, CM, CP and use OPK's. I turned into a bit of a crazy lady because the waiting was driving me crazy. I kept on thinking, I don't care if it's a period, just SOMETHING, ANYTHING would be good right now.

During this time, I started taking Pregnacare Conception (Vit B, Vit B12, Zinc etc) and Vitex (Agnus Castus) 1000mg per day. I went up to 2000mg per day but decided to reduce it again.

After three months I went back to the doctor and told him I wanted answers. He told me it was probably my PCOS, rather than the effects of "coming off the pill". The only difference between before the pill and after was that I had gained 12lbs. He put me on Metformin 500mg per day, which was then increased to 1000mg per day, then 1500mg per day.

I went on a 'healthy eating diet' and lost a few lbs, but nothing drastic. I went back to the doctor and pushed for blood tests, which showed a FSH:LH ratio 1:4 and a testosterone level 2 x as much as it should be.

It was driving me crazy, not really understand why my body was like this. I kept on getting patches of EWCM and 'nearly positive' OPK's. I had read that women with PCOS couldn't use OPK's but didn't really understand why.

I'm quite a scientific person and I like to understand things, so I decided to sit down one day and do my research. I read into insulin resistance as the basis for PCOS and how and why it stops ovulation. More importantly I looked into the GI diet, and understood it's principles. The more I read into it, the more sense it made!

Immediately, after learning about the diet, I started doing it. Don't get me wrong, it was HELL and to begin with, very restrictive. But, after four months of waiting for something to happen, after three weeks of being on the GI diet (and just for correctness, I was also on metformin, vitex and pregnacare) I actually ovulated - which has now turned into my BFP!

I don't know if this is going to be a sticky bean, I am terrified of starting to bleed, or waking up to realise this is all a dream - but even if I do lose this baby, I know I can ovulate, and I know I can conceive.

So to all those out there with PCOS and having anovulatory cycles, I urge you to look into the GI giet. It worked for me in a very short space of time!

If you want any advice/pointing in the right direction let me know. I am so grateful for all the support and help from my B&B friends. Without them I would have gone stir crazy!

Hopefully I won't be back to the TTC section for a while but I will still be actively posting! Fingers crossed!!

Congratulations! Sounds like you did really well! I did the same thing prior to my BFP - also with Metformin, but no vitex - and have a gorgeous one year old now :) best of luck for your pregnancy xx

Thankyou so much for sharing this and many congratulations!!

I have PCOS and have been going to the doctors for jut over a year with no help and ive never been prescribed anything to help me, so reading something like this just gives me such positivity :D
did you use any particular websites or recipes while you were following this diet?
Thankyou agin
xxxx

Hi Emma

I am so suprised your doctor hasn't offered to help you! Do you know anything about insulin resistance or the GI diet? I would change doctors and push for Metformin (which helps with insulin resistance).

There is so much I could tell you, but to cut a long story short, I cut out white carbs such as white bread, pasta and potatoes. I replaced them with Low GI alternatives such as wholemeal bread and sweet potato, or wholemeal pasta. That said, for the first few weeks I tried to cut down on my carbs completely as I was also trying to lose weight (and lost 7lbs, which probably helped me ovulate!).

I also cut out anything which a high sugar content which might trigger that "insulin response" and make my hormones worse (and this is what I found hardest) - so that included chocolate, sweets, crisps, biscuits and fizzy drinks.

I literally drank water for three weeks and that was it, and felt SO MUCH healthier for it. Every time I felt I couldn't carry on and just needed to have some chocolate, I thought of the reasons WHY I was doing this, and got even more determined.

Let me know if I can help in any way, and good luck. xx

Hi Emma

I am so suprised your doctor hasn't offered to help you! Do you know anything about insulin resistance or the GI diet? I would change doctors and push for Metformin (which helps with insulin resistance).

There is so much I could tell you, but to cut a long story short, I cut out white carbs such as white bread, pasta and potatoes. I replaced them with Low GI alternatives such as wholemeal bread and sweet potato, or wholemeal pasta. That said, for the first few weeks I tried to cut down on my carbs completely as I was also trying to lose weight (and lost 7lbs, which probably helped me ovulate!).

I also cut out anything which a high sugar content which might trigger that "insulin response" and make my hormones worse (and this is what I found hardest) - so that included chocolate, sweets, crisps, biscuits and fizzy drinks.

I literally drank water for three weeks and that was it, and felt SO MUCH healthier for it. Every time I felt I couldn't carry on and just needed to have some chocolate, I thought of the reasons WHY I was doing this, and got even more determined.

Let me know if I can help in any way, and good luck. xx

Yes, it is very annoying that they dont want to prescribe me anything! My first doctor actually just turned round and told me 'oh you shouldnt worry yet anyway your too young, i wish i had waited' - very unprofessional!

Thanks for the info! that sounds very good! I actually have a clean eating lifestyle so i make all my own meals from natural, unrefined, unprocessed ingredients - so like you said wholemeal bread pasta, sweet potatoes and tons of water :D I only have the occasional treat but they are all home made too so i know exactly what is in them! i find it really satisfying to make my own food and just like you when i feel like caving in i take a step back and think about why i am doing this and how amazing the achievement will be <3

Thankyou so much for sharing your story and all this info it really has inspired me to kick it up a notch and keep positive!

Enjoy your pregnancy and take care of yourself!

:kiss:

Congrats on your pregnancy!!! I wish you all the best!!! You've given us PCOS ladies some ideas, inspiration and hope :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->