Peanut Allergy

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
Just been for the food challenge in the hospital and found out BOTH my boys have an allergy/sensitivity to peanuts.

History:

Over a year ago, Tristan (who is nearly 6), had an exposure to peanuts - he had never had any before. My husband had been eating wasabi covered peanuts and given him a goodnight kiss. About 10 minutes later, he got up saying he felt unwell and the top of his face (ie eye lids, cheeks) looked puffy and red. He started having a rash that travelled over his whole body - he was breathing fine. I gave him some infant piriton and took him up to the hospital. The swelling and rash had gone down by then but I had a photo on my phone - the Dr said it looked like an allergic reaction and referred him for the allergy testing list. A few months later my mum gave him some Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. He did not have a rash or swelling ambit threw up about an hour after eating them.

Last year he had the skin prick test and he was negative for all other nuts and wasabi but had a small dot (1mm) for peanuts. The Dr said he could do a food challenge in a year.

...fast forward a year to today. He went to the hospital for a food challenge. He had some peanut butter smeared under his nose by his lip., He didn't go puffy or red but when they wiped off the peanut butter, there were four small white weals/blisters ie a positive reaction. They gave him,some antihistamine and stopped the challenge. He had wiped some on his hand just before the nurse wiped it off and even though he washed his hands, he must have wiped his eye because he got a really itchy sore red eye about three hours after the food challenge.

Because his reaction was seen as mild, they won't give me a epipen and said they will retest in 3 years.

Because of this, I asked for my younger son to get the skin prick test - he has the same dry skin/eczema-ish my older son had at that age. They agreed and he also tested positive for peanuts - a 5mm weal (bigger than my older son's) and they said same protocol for him. They won't retest him till age 7.

I followed their diet rules to the letter whilst pregnant and we have no history of food allergies on either side of our families. My husband, dad and sister do have slight wool allergies. My mother in law and brother in law have late onset asthma and my dad has hay fever. There is a history of dry skin/slight eczema on both sides and my two boys have had a touch of childhood eczema/dry skin. My older boy's skin has improved significantly and is barely dry now - my younger boy has it a bit more dry.

Sorry for the essay!

Does anyone have any advice/experience in this matter? Has anyone had more than one child with a peanut allergy? What is your experience/family allergy history?

Thanks

If members of their family have any kind of allergy, especially a food allergy you are more likely to get a peanut allergy. Eczema is also likely to increase your risk of having a nut allergy which is why your younger son had a bigger reaction. On the plus side many children outgrow this, so it might be worth keeping and eye on it, which I know you will do and just warn family and friends about it.

My OH has a nut allergy, so our daughter might, but not planning on getting her tested yet due to her age. When he has nuts he violent sick, which he doesn't like as he also has OCD so has to constantly clean. So he tries to avoid them at all costs.

No reaction to peanuts but Rhys is being tested for a potential shellfish allergy later this month and has eczema as well (both kids do actually but Rhys's is worse and Hannah never had a reaction to shellfish). He broke out in hives within 30 minutes of having a few small pieces of shrimp which is why he is being tested.

Anyways apparently I also had a shellfish allergy as a child (as well as a few others, tomatoes and I don't remember what else) that I've since outgrown. My doctor did also mention that often eczema and allergies run hand in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->