pediatrician making me starve my baby?!

C

chelseav1213

My LO is 8 weeks old.. he has been FF for 3 weeks now. My pediatrician said limit his feeds to 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours but sometime he will scream for more and could easily down another four ounces.. occasionally I will give him an extra two ounces when I cant get him to sleep or calmed down but he acts hungry all the time even right after 6 ounces! Am I starving him not giving him it when he wants more? :( he is 21 inches & 9 lbs 10 oz (I think isn't over/underweight)

My lo is nearly 9 weeks and happily munches 4-5oz every 3.5-4hrs. I'd let your lo eat what he wants.

My doctor told me I should still feed her "on demand" not to worry about a routine. If he's hungry, he's hungry! that sounds like weird advice to me

I would say ignore the dr and just feed your baby what they want. Its the practice of medicine and he needs more practice. You might try a pacifier just to make sure he doesn't need comfort sucking but if he won't take the pacifier it means he is still hungry.

My little one is 5 weeks old and eats 5 ounces every 3 - 4 hours but sometimes only goes 2.5 hours, he was big at birth 10lbs 7, so just hungry i guess .

i would put an extra oz in his bottles and consider switching to hungry milk.
you know your baby best, not the doc, the doc is just going by the recommened guidelines of what a baby should be on at that age.
all babies are different :)

Ignore your doctor's advice and feed him on demand, what he wants whenever he wants. Start with 4oz then if he drains the whole bottle, next time make 5oz etc.
Lots of babies want feeding more often than every 3-4 hours, so just go with what your baby wants. xxx

My baby always ate more than the packets and doctors suggested. I've fed on demand and he eventually got into a pattern of 5 bottles a day of 7-8oz. Certain ppl insinuated I was overfeeding him but he's stuck happily to the 91st centile since birth. Just meant to be a big baby :)

I agree with the other posters, that's terrible advice from a pediatrician :shrug:. I do understand the every 3 to 4 hours because (and I only learned this when my lo was in the NICU establishing feedings) it is better for their tummy to be all the way empty before they eat again. BUT, let him have as much as he wants per feeding. I also don't think 3 oz. is enough for an almost 10 lb. baby, not to mention at 8 weeks he's probably going through a little growth spurt.

I'd put 6 ounces in the bottles and see how he does. He should go every 3 to 4 hours for you as long as he's actually full. You'll know he's full if he doesn't want anymore and there's still some in the bottle. You want to aim for there to be about 1/2 oz. or so left over. If he's draining every bottle, there's not enough in there. If he's leaving an oz. or more, it's too much and you know you can cut them back an oz. to avoid waste. Don't listen to that doctor :wacko:

I listened to that advice at first, terrible advice. She slowed down after 10 weeks and is now eating the "recommended " amount by her own accord

Does your baby have reflux?

This is a common recommendation for reflux babies because they will overeat in order to cool the acid in their throats (and subsequently causes even more pain to them).

If it's "just because" then that's terrible advice but I'm just curious if there is a reflux issue...

I was told to think of the 3-4 hr rule as a maximum between feedings, not a limit. I was breastfeeding, but no real difference, it's all milk, and there were times I nursed every hour. However that was called "bonding" and comfort nursing, not overfeeding! I am sure she was getting tons of ounces and quite often. Babies know what they need and will turn their head when full. If you really do think he has taken plenty, you could offer him a pacifier and see if he just wants to suck.

For a few days my baby wanted feeding every two hours and he's have 3/4oz each time (three week growth spurt) he.s bang on for perfect weight gain hv said. I can't imagine listening to him scream for two hours each time? Last few days he put himself back to every three or four. Go with gut feeling. my hv said to increase his bottles to five Oz, but when we try he only drinks 4 anyway and the rest goes down the sink, so will wait until he's draining bottles.

i have been told by my midwife and health visitor to go with hat she wants and feed on demand x

2 month old only feed every 4 hours!!! my daughter would screeammm the house down! my daughter is 8 months old and still drinks every 2. 3 hours!

feed ur baby when they want to be fed simple. ur doctor is stupid. my daughter was 9lb 5 at birth lol so ur baby is for sure not overweight and shud not be ristricted at this age

Let LO eat what Lo wants....I got told I wasn't feeding my daughter enough at about the same age but all she would take in was less. If she wanted more, I'd give her more. They don't have to live with the baby and it is just cruel not feeding LO. Last night our dd ate apples and 15 oz in a span of 6 hours.

feed on demand and ignore your stupid doctor.

Would you let someone else dictate you on your appetite? Id assume not so i dont think it should be done to babies

The only baby advice my grandma (she formula and breast fed) gave me was, "You had better feed that baby on demand, don't make him cry waiting on the schedule, it's cruel!"

Always listen to grandma :)

I was always taught to never let them drain the bottle. If they finish the bottle then you should be giving them more - they'll stop when they are ready.

At 8 weeks Josh was having about 5oz every 3hrs I think? He's always been spot on the 50th line, never waivered from that. I do wonder about some 'doctors' these days!

I would go with your mother's instinct on this one: if your baby seems hungry, then feed him :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->