Pee'd off with so-called friend

jeanettekaren

Mummy to Finn
Reaction score
I was explaining to my "friend" about how I have been growing my stash of cloth nappies and how I was going to get some eco-disposibles for hospital and for the first few days/weeks when I'm expecting to be a bit shell-shocked. I didn't expect the barrage of abuse/non-fact based opinion I got back!! :grr:

Apparently, there are no chemicals in disposables!! She "works with" Pampers (she boxes them up to go to the supermarkets :dohh:) and there are absolutely no chemicals in disposable nappies. I pointed out they were made of plastic so chemicals were a foregone conclusion but I am wrong apparently! Also, the gel crystals are all natural too according to her! All eco-disposables leak and I will be running to Pampers within the week!

Don't get me started on the comment that nappy rash has been virtually eradicated because people use Pampers aswell:rofl: I have nothing against disposable nappies if that is what someone chooses to use but come on now - she honestly thinks her facts are completely correct.

It would be really funny if I wasn't so annoyed at the way she explained these "facts". I gave her a semi-polite response but I'm still fuming over her opinions on cloth but also on how I won't last a week breastfeeding (she didn't even try so I'm not sure how she knows this and actually laughed in my face when I said I wasn't buying a pump initially to get breast feeding established before expressing) and how I will be screaming the place down for an epidural because she needed one (I'm going to a birthing centre where my pain relief options are gas/air and injectibles).

Has anyone been spoken to like this and the friendship actually survived? I'm serious considering getting rid if she can be so completely rude about something that is obviously important to me

Blimey, she sounds like hard work - you did well to keep your cool!!

I didn't start out with any expectations but the way its worked out for me the 'natural' options are just more appealing - I was lucky enough to just need gas and air during labour and birth, my son breastfed with no issues and we're still going strong and really enjoying it, we co-sleep because it's how Oliver sleeps best, and he loves it in his sling so I babywear a lot :) I'm just now getting into reusable nappies - I feel like I'm organised enough now to deal with the extra washing etc and I'm soooo excited about making the change lol!! I have used eco-disposables BTW and had no issues with them at all.

I've had some funny looks from friends / family but I know what I'm doing is best for Oliver and best for us as a family. When I explain the benefits etc everyone has been supportive :)

I think I'd get rid though if she continues talking rubbish like that!!!

Sounds like shes quite competetive!

My situation was similar to Sarahwoo's, where things just fell in to place once Tom was born, but I had ideas before hand. I told one friend I was gonna use reusables and she replied that it wouldn't last as se tried it and it didn't - that spurred me on to be more determined!!!

She sounds very narrow minded, I wouldn't have much time for her tbh!!!

Good luck x

Sounds like shes quite competetive!

My situation was similar to Sarahwoo's, where things just fell in to place once Tom was born, but I had ideas before hand. I told one friend I was gonna use reusables and she replied that it wouldn't last as se tried it and it didn't - that spurred me on to be more determined!!!

She sounds very narrow minded, I wouldn't have much time for her tbh!!!

Good luck x

Haha, thats so funny! I've told a few people that I want to move over to reusables, my MIL said that my SIL had tried it and didn't last so not to bother :shrug: which sooooo made me more determined!!!! :haha:

I agree with the others, everything just feel into place. We do use sposies at night but that will be changing soon. My friends think i am odd and mad about using cloth nappies but they mean it in an affectionate manner not like your 'friend'. I would ditch her if you can, you don't want anyone negative around you :flower:

Kind of makes me laugh when people are just soooooooo confident in their opinions!!!
Cant say ive had anyone being quite so, erm, negative about my choices, but if they were I would probably be distancing myself a bit - if only to not get bullied about it!
Perhaps a well timed snigger and 'yeah, whatever' and not discussing your parenting choices with her and see where it goes from there ..... :hugs:

Ive had people say id never manage the cloth "u wont have time, what with a new baby and all" but like henny, most ppl just tease in an affectionate way, same with my choice to have a home birth. its ur baby, n ur decision! Perhaps point her towards some websites that strip disposables bare? but she sounds like the sort of person who wouldnt believe it anyway!

All eco-disposables leak and I will be running to Pampers within the week!

lol, well we can't use Pampers because they leak so much! :dohh: If I need to put him in disposables (when great granny is watching him!) I need to use the lidl cheapies as they're the only ones that Ive found don't leak.

I would say just ignore her comments, you'll soon find out yourself if they are for you or not and as for pampers decreasing nappy rash, we've never had it so reusables can't be all bad! :thumbup:

Since when did packing pampers into a box make you an expert on their chemical content? Somebody is rather loyal to their company :rolleyes:

I was asked this past weekend why I would want to "play in poop" when I could just use disposable and throw it away :dohh:

my friend uses disposable but she is very supportive of my CDing and has even been asking about it lately I dont think she would ever do it but thats what friends are for support! so she doesnt sound like much of a friend to me...

i don't think i'd have much time for her myself!

Whoever sadi they use lidl nappies because pampers leak...aren't they exactly the same nappies, from the same place, just different packaging? Everything leaked and smelt with Noah (thinking it might be to do with a dairy intolerance) but cloth is much better. We failed first time round when i tried with Ethan but this time i'm more determined and enjoying it more, and it's not like a chore now :flower: i hate it when people have the attitude that it didn't work for them so won't for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->