Perfect prep machine?

Midnight_Fairy

New baby J
Reaction score
With my first I used to make 4 bottles with hot water, cool quickly then leave in fridge for 12 hours and microwave. With DD2 and 3 I made by adding hot water to bottles, leaving on side and adding powder as necessary over 24 hours. Not re heating. They drank at room temp.

I saw the advice has changed. Does anyone have the prep machine. It would certainly make my life easier! I just dont understand how it works. Does it use tap water? Is that safe?

It's fab in my opinion. It had just been launched when my first baby was born and I used it for second.

You fill up the water section with tap water and it has a filter in, which filters the water before it's used.

The milk powder is subjected to a hot blast of filtered water (sterilises the powder and disolves it) then topped up with cool water. Making it a perfect temp when complete.

Couldn't suggest a more useful item to be honest. You are right, advice has changed and bottles are (in theory) meant to always be made fresh, not reheated etc. Milk powder is not sterile, I think is the theory. The more standing around and reheating etc the more change of bacteria growth apparently.

ETA-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4GMADNSmkg

Its only 50ish pound now which I think is pretty good. Does it make milk prep much faster? Thinking we could keep in bedroom?

We keep ours in the bedroom and it's a godsend. I keep a cold water steriliser with bottles next to it and you have a bottle in less than a minute if making small amounts and no squinting in the dark measuring out water.

I add the powder before the hot shot of water as the powder dispenser gets sticky and powder sticks to it when the steam gets to it otherwise. It is fine with tap water as it filters.

The only negatives for me are the stupid beeping that you can't turn off but it's only 4 beeps, and that the minimum amount is 4oz but it's worth wasting it for the extra sleep.

The perfect prep machine is a life saver in my opinion - especially with a demanding baby! Although, a lot of health professionals don't agree with it because it only requires tap water. However, you could fill the tank with cooled boiled water, but I don't personally think it's necessary!

Defo recommend it. Its fab. I love it. Spent first 2 weeks boiling and cooling water and then OH comes home with TT perfect prep!!! Love him for this i didnt even know it existed

The beeping is its epic flaw. It's too loud for the middle of the night in my opinion..I used to use the machine all through the day and laziness and speed led me to using aptamil ready made bottles/cartons at night (costly but saved sanity). Both kids took it at room temp straight out of readymade bottle.

It is really quick the prep machine as it's even quicker than boiling a kettle and doing it that way.

Forgot to say that i boil the water before putting it to PP. You dont have to. But if you do choose to then make sure you cool it down first. It takes ages to cool down in PP and machine goes into red mode and wouldnt let you use it until its all cold inside.

Whe i top up water after 2-3 bottles i just pour the freshly boiled water. It mixes with the existing cold water and temp gauge isnt triggered

Thanks all. Little confused about filtered water but sure mine had extra scoops and all sorts due to middle of night tiredness !

The prep machine has a filter inside it which needs changing every 3 months I believe. We double filter (use filter water to put into machine and then the machine filters it too) Not sure why :lol:. It's honestly such a great thing. I love ours. Has made making up bottles so much easier. Agree with the bleep though, it's too loud!

We loved ours. We used to measure out the milk powder into those little pots in the morning so it was even easier, the machine puts a hot shot of water in, add milk powder and swirl it to dissolve then it tops it up with cool filtered water.

The perfect prep machine was my second best baby purchase second only to my Ergo and only second because I got so much use out of my Ergo (used it nearly daily until my LO turned 2)

Loved my prep machine. We even bought one for my mums house! I used to boil water cool it and store it in jugs in the fridge which i then used to top up the machine. Its an extra possibly unnecessary step but overall its super simple and easy and i would have one with every child i ever have!!!

I read somewhere that it didn't boil the water to the right temperature, not to sure how true that is though...
I prefer to just make the bottles as my baby needs them with boiled water from the kettle!

I really cant cope waiting for it from the kettle. I will make them the way I did before if not but the machine sounds so useful! Thanks all xx

I was wondering how this worked with different instructions on different powdered brands. I used aptamil so added a few oz of freshly boiled water to the powder then topped up with cooled boiled from the fridge. So same principle as pp but manual.

My friend used cow and gate I think and the box instructions said the water had to be left to cool for half an hour?

I was wondering how this worked with different instructions on different powdered brands. I used aptamil so added a few oz of freshly boiled water to the powder then topped up with cooled boiled from the fridge. So same principle as pp but manual.

My friend used cow and gate I think and the box instructions said the water had to be left to cool for half an hour?

The instructions will vary from leave the water to cool for up to 20 minutes or up to 30, the water has to be over 70 degrees but under 100 as boiling water will also kill some of the nutrients in the milk.

Yes I remember C&G saying that. I always added it to boiling with my 1st. How my mum taught me!

I love my perfect prep! I used to use cooled boiled water in it but have stopped now.

There is an article somewhere online that says TT had the machine tested by a company called Intertek, they tested the water after it had been filtered (and used wAter with much higher levels of contaminates than tap water) and the filter got all the crap out. It's as good as boiling it basically.

The only thing that's questionable is the hot shot staying hot enough for long enough to kill any bugs in the milk powder. But id say as long as you work quickly when adding the powder and shaking/mixing, then it's probably fine!

I've been doing my research on it and reading the box on the one I have! The hot shot is 70 degrees, same as recommended when using a kettle since you need to leave the water to cool after you boil it. And the machine is on a timer, you have two minutes after the hot shot to add the powder and put the other water in, if you don't then you have to dispose of the feed and start from scratch! So all in all, looks amazing and does everything that is supposed to be done when making formula. I have a suspicion that the controversy has something to do with the fact that formula feeding is not encouraged and this makes it nearly as convenient as breast feeding. Not quite but closer. But that might just be my own opinion on the matter

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->