Pessary for Induction

space-game-91

Grace's Mummy
Reaction score
Hiya, I was assessed today by my midwife for induction on Monday, but because my Bishops score was 7/13 I have to go into hospital on Sunday to have a pessary inserted before I'm induced on Monday.
But she said I'm 2cm dilated ... I didn't think if I was already dilating that I'd need the pessary, she did say they might decide when I get in on Sunday to just send me home and bring me back Monday morning to break my waters and start the drip.
Can anyone tell me your experience of having the pessary before you're induced, cos I haven't got a clue! :shrug:

It could be because your cervix if still firm? I'm pretty sure the pessary softens the cervix. Correct me if I'm wrong, lol :flower:

Hey,

i would say your cervix is still firm, ive not been induced personally but i was my mums birth partner 2 years ago when she had my little brother, she had this pessary for induction. they tried it twice and it just wasnt working, with the second pessary they decided it was best to just pull it back out and just leave us to it sort of thing, my mum said it was agonising - it took the midwife a good few minutes to get it back out - for my mum it was the most painful part but then everyone is different, i will also add that my brother passed meconium and the colour of the waters suggested that it was newly passed i really do believe that the intervention caused him to become distressed.

I would say go with what feels right for you, we all like to think that these professionals know best but sometimes its better to listen to your own body and avoid intervention. if you think its necessary then go with it, if not then dont. i would have thought that 2cm is enough for you to be A.R.M'd but just see what happens when you get to the hosp.

xx

I had a pessary last time - it was not painful at all and then I just sat around waiting for it to work - I guess it is a bit like having a tampon inserted depending on what type they use. Then it softens your cervix and if you are lucky labour starts a few hours later - basically I had back ache about 2 hours after the insertion and my water broke by themselves an hour after the back ache started and then I was in labour though they did add pitocin a bit later anyway. Sometimes they need more than one pessary if your cervix is very firm and responds slower.

I had a pessary that gave me backache the first day then a different type the second and so on, they are supposed to soften the cervix but for me they didnt work, after 8 days they gave me a drug that started full blown contractions that eventually led to the birth of my daughter.
Fortunately I didnt need a pessary with my other two xx

i had the pessary and was told i would get a few perod pains, then the next day they would give me another, O'boy...i didnt need another, 2 hours later i started with period like pains, so they gave me 2 paracetamol and a sleeping tablet coz they said it was going to be a long day the following day...Before the sleeping tablet kicked in i'd gone from 2cm - 10cm in about 10 mins.....Whoah!!! wat an experience that was. My eyes was rolling around my head as i was pushing, the sleeping tablet had kicked in...The midwife didnt think i would have gone into labour so quick... :mad: XXX

It worked for me when i was induced with my first i cant remember much of it now as it was so long ago.. I'm going to be induced tomoro at 10.30am im so scared for some reason but im 2cm dilated, so my notes said at my sweep a week ago so im really hopeing they might just decided to break my waters.. Ive not been told to go in a day before to have anything done. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->