Pesticide Exposure and TTC: What Do You Think?

Mbhg1980

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I want to get your opinions about exposure to conventional pesticide in the workplace. Are you working at a place that you know uses conventional pesticide and are you also TTC or pregnant? Do you feel this is a cause for concern?

I think this is something we don't think about, but it can impact a fetus nonetheless. I recently read a book called "More Than Genes". The jist was that even though a baby can be born free of physical birth defects, there is accumulating evidence that exposure to environmental toxins affects the way a fetus develops. The genes work together in the environment. A fetus adapts to anything that crosses the placenta, and this is gestational "programming" is permanent. So mood disorders, slight changes in IQ, predisposition to diabetes and heart disease, and even elevated risk for cancer can be caused by exposure to toxins in the womb. Factors such as the loss of a few IQ points or anxiety and depression may go unnoticed and are often thought of as purely genetic or caused by things that happen after birth, but new evidence is showing that the most formative time of life, in the womb, can influence these factors. Chemical changes in the womb can alter the way genes are expressed, and affect the person for life.

It seems we are rightly focused on nutrition, but what about the air we breathe? Things we breathe get in our blood stream and cross the placenta. Pesticide easily crosses, according to the book.

I live in Florida and work in a daycare. I see that they use conventional pesticide treatment every 3 months. It is sprayed all over the baseboards, throughout the school. They never open the windows. Further, they spray Lysol and other things pretty freely. I'm there only through this month and I'm actually skipping TTC for this month because of my concerns. (Not to mention the fact that I'm concerned for the kids there as research shows that children exposed to indoor pesticides are at a greater risk for developing leukemia.) I feel strongly about this and I'm kind of annoyed at the daycare for not using less-toxic pest control, but I don't feel comfortable saying anything since I'm a temp. I'm also annoyed that I have to be exposed to this if I am to work there and help them out. How can people worry about scrapes and cuts on a child but not this? How long will it take for my body to detox this stuff out once I leave?

I know it's easy to get neurotic, but there are also valid concerns, and a lot we don't now know but WILL know down the road. What we know about conventional pesticide exposure is pretty in-depth and alarming, especially when weighed against the new evidence that the prenatal environment is not the sort of bubble we once thought it was, but is highly vulnerable and a highly important time in development.

Here are 2 links for your consumption:

https://health.yahoo.net/rodale/PVN/pesticides-are-dumbing-down-our-kids

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/pesticides.html

It seems like common sense to me.

What do you think?

Hey doll great topic for discussion as most people dont realize what a huge effect the air you breathe can have on ttc .. DH & I are having this issue because he works for a body shop as a painter & the fumes he is intaking have lowered his sperm count which is why its taking so long to conceive... I look forward to others responses & things they have done to boost the chances :D

Love it!!

Hey doll great topic for discussion as most people dont realize what a huge effect the air you breathe can have on ttc .. DH & I are having this issue because he works for a body shop as a painter & the fumes he is intaking have lowered his sperm count which is why its taking so long to conceive... I look forward to others responses & things they have done to boost the chances :D

Love it!!

Thanks, Beautifullei! I appreciate the compliment. I agree that it's an important topic.

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's SA but I hope you get it figured out. I know that paint fumes can be very toxic even to adults. Has he considered a mask? They have varying degrees of protection, up through gas masks, right?

For me, I don't even want to try while working here. I think it's a very toxic environment with the regular saturation of pesticides. I mean, I saw the pest people and they didn't apply sparingly! I think it's a travesty to do in a childcare center!!!!!!!! Also, the building is historic. So even after repainting over lead paint, there could easily still be lead in the dust and surrounding soil. It amazes me what we don't know or see that can be so harmful, yet we don't make the changes needed to provide a healthier environment.

I don't know, so I'm getting blood labs done for lead and pesticide tomorrow.

I wouldn't feel right taking the chance, so I have to take May off. :sad2: I'm also worried about my own health.

I'm kind of bummed about this today. But also a bit angry that this is even an issue at a school. Kids should have the safest, healthiest environments around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->