Pet question

munchie82

Reaction score
After a bit of advice. How many of you ladies have rodents as pets, like guinea pigs, hamsters etc.

I've just come across something about them being possible carriers of lcmv -surely if this was a huge danger then the midwifes and possibly the Nhs website would have some info on it.

Thanks

Laura

I have rats, my oh has taken over their cleaning out, I think it's their urine you have to watch out for. My friend used to wear one of those decorating masks while cleaning her rabbits out x

I've googled about rats and pregnancy before and I think some lady had asked their doctor and they said they didn't see a reason why it would hurt their unborn baby just to make sure you wash your hands after touching them, but I've also limited how much I handle them and leave it to oh. I also have 2 dogs and a kitten lol x

i have a hamster, ive never heard of this do i need to be careful? i do also have 5 dogs lol

I have two guinea pigs. All that changed was when I started getting too big to bend comfortably DH started cleaning the cage. My doctor said there was no issue with me having them.

Thanks for your replies, honestly does anyone find the list of do and don'ts is just crazy sometimes, make you feel like you should live in a bubble or stay in bed for the next 9months.xxxxxx

I have 2 chihuahuas and 2 rats I wear gloves for cleaning though as I have dermatitis

I have a chinchilla. I would wear a dust mask when changing the cage if your OH can't/won't help. I usually ask my DH to do it, but sometimes he not home yet or busy, so I just take care of it.

Hey all I've got two male rats, my doctor said it's perfectly safe to handle them as long as I wash my hands after preferably with something like spirigel, and as long as I clean the cage regularly ( more so then normal) it's safe for me and baby x

I still had 8 rats when I got pregnant with my first, and had no issues with the usual cleaning and handling of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->