pets

hellohefalump

Reaction score
Just wondering what age your kids were when you got them their first pet (eg: hamster, goldfish) something that was definately 'theirs' and not the family pet (cat, dog). Madeleine has just turned five.

I'm upgrading my marine fish tank soon to a bigger one and I'm going to give the old one (90 litres) to my daughter to keep goldfish. It's going to go in her room and she's going to help with the feeding and cleaning out.

We already have three fish tanks and three cats, but they are very much my responsibility and I've had them since before she was born. These new goldfish are going to be just for her although I will help her with them. My sister is 15 and lives with me, and she has two rats in her room that she has sole responsibility for.

We haven't yet as I don't think they are old enough to be responsiable for anything. My sisters two girls got guinea pigs when they were about 8 and 11 and they are supposed to clean them out etc but my sister ends up doing it most of the time. My nieces to feed them and they pay for the food and part of the hay themselves.

I would have to wait until I knew that my children would really look after the pet themselves. We have a family dog and as they get older to will allow the children more responsibility with her and then take it from there

A five year old would def. need your help to clean and take care of the fish. So maybe you should talk to your daughter and plan what shes going to do and what you would be helping her with.

Jaymee got a chinchilla for her 3rd birthday she helps with it as much as a 3 year old can understand she fills his water bottle helps fob clean his cage she's the one who feeds him gives him treats she's very gentle with him I think she was ready and she loves him its so cute to see her face light up when she holds chili beans

when shes about 13 & can look after it herself..

we had pets before they were born

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->