PhD Study: Prenatal Screening for Down's Syndrome (Volunteers Wanted!)

gareththomas

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Gareth and I’m a PhD student at Cardiff University. I am looking for volunteers to take part in a study into peoples’ experiences during screening and testing for Down's syndrome in pregnancy. The study is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and has received support from the Down's Syndrome Association and Antenatal Results and Choices.

I am very happy to speak to anyone in the UK who has had prenatal screening for Down’s syndrome and received a ‘lower chance’ or ‘higher chance’ result - via nuchal translucency scans, quad tests, triple blood tests, etc. But I am particularly interested in hearing from those who received a ‘higher chance’ result and had to decide whether to accept or reject further testing (a CVS or amniocentesis).

Participation would involve taking part in a one-off interview which is around 30-40 minutes long. The interviews are very informal, you can withdraw at any time, and every effort will be made to ensure you remain anonymous in the final write-up. Interviews can be conducted in person, over the phone, or online (via Facebook, MSN, Skype, etc.). The issues covered will include why people chose to have certain prenatal screening/testing, how people were treated by healthcare professionals, and how those who undertook screening/testing view their overall experience. I also encourage members to post comments on this thread about any related experiences.

If you would like more information on the study, please contact me at [email protected] or on 07525170462. You can also reach me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gareththomasresearch.

I would also be very grateful if you could pass this on to anybody you know who might be interested in participating too. Thank you very much for your time – I hope to hear from you soon! :thumbup:

Many thanks,
Gareth

Hi everyone. Thanks to those of you who have replied and taken part in the study. I really appreciate your assistance :thumbup:. I’m still looking to interview people so if any other Mums (or Dads!) would be willing to take part, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.

Thanks!
Gareth

Happy new year everyone! I'm still looking for people to participate in the study so if any other parents or expectant parents would be willing to take part, please get in touch by using the details above or by replying on this forum.

Many thanks,
Gareth

Hello

Not too sure if you are still looking for participants.. but please feel free to send me a message on this forum and I will do my best to answer any questions that you have for your phd study...

I got a risk of 1:5 from my blood test and scan at 12 weeks and went onto to have an amino at 15 weeks.

Hello

Not too sure if you are still looking for participants.. but please feel free to send me a message on this forum and I will do my best to answer any questions that you have for your phd study...

I got a risk of 1:5 from my blood test and scan at 12 weeks and went onto to have an amino at 15 weeks.

Hello Sarah,

Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot send you a message - I've just read some threads in the help forum and apparently you have to send 10-15 posts before you're allowed to send PMs! As a result, can I ask that you contact me on my email address ([email protected]) - or that you provide me with your email address - please? I would really appreciate it. Look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
Gareth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"