Picking up your children while pregnant?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Hello! This is my 2nd baby and my 1st is now going to be 2 in May and weighs a little over 30 pounds (feels like 80 when he's wiggling!) I know you're not supposed to lift heavy things while pregnant but I can't seem to avoid picking him up! Does anyone know the deal on this? Is it one of those things where it's okay so long as you were already used to doing it before you got pregnant?

Thanks!

I've never been told not to pick up heavy things when pregnant, and unless there is something wrong with you or you are on bedrest or something, I don't see why you can't. I continue to pick my kids up, my 5 year old weighs 46lbs and my 3 year old is about 37.5lbs when fully dressed. We play, I throw them in the air, they ride on my back like a horse, and we rough-house all the time.

I weight lift also. I think you are absolutely fine still picking up things that you did pre-pregnancy. My midwife is happy for me to remain strong and active.

Yep. Basically, if you did it before getting pregnant, and you can do it comfortably now, it's okay to keep doing it. Outside of certain high risk situations, your own body and how you are feeling are the best guides.

This is coming from the mother of a 36 pound, off the charts tall 21 month old who loves to be in his Tula carrier.

Thank you ladies, this is a relief! Didn't know what else I'd do because it's not like I can't pick him up, and he seems to want to be picked up even more lately :wacko: lol :hugs: Thanks!

I think it's fine especially if your not bleeding or have placenta previa etc. My son is 12months old and I am 13weeks along now. Obviously at his age he needs his mummy to pick him up.

I had a bleed and was advised not to. My DS weighs only about 25 lbs though & at 3.5 yrs pretty mobile. I would lower myself to his level more & explained I wasn't strong enough to pick him up. He's learned not to ask or insist anymore & I use an umbrella stroller a lot do he can walk or be pushed.

Yeah I pick mine up. My little girl is 6 but is like a little fairy she only weigh much she's been ill the last few days so I've carried her out to the car for the nursery run a few times.
My little boy is also Diddy so I don't worry picking him up either. I don't feel any pulling strains or anything when I lift them if I did I would stop.

I've just been changing how I pick DD up but more for practice when I'm too big to lean down or my SPD returns! I get her to stand on the sofa or bed before picking her up but still carry her around quite a lot. She's still my baby at 28 months 😊

I asked my dr this and she said as long as it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort then its fine. Unless of course you've been adviced not to x

I've been pregnant and lugging children around for 10 years in all now, that said, I do have back problems so it is advisable to lift correctly; however it's a necessary evil- my little ones love being carried. I tend to still wear my 2 year old in a sling though which helps distribute the weight more evenly. x

I carried on picking up my 4 year old (piggy backs home from school 3tc) but I had a bleed for about a week from 8-9 weeks and chose to stop lifting him.

I'll still pop him on the counter/into the bath etc but no more piggy backs or carrying him up the stairs. He's 4 and knows about the baby now so he doesn't ask anymore

I am having exactly same issues. My lil one is 27months old and still loves to be carried but, my back hurts alot so have no idea if it's ok to pick her up. She also refuses to held by anyone else but me. I am newly pregnant so, can.manage but, don't know what to do once I get heavy a n and round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->