Placenta and water births

bambino156

Mummy
Reaction score
Quick question ladies, if you have a water birth do you deliver the placenta in the water whilst having a cuddle with baby or do they get you out to deliver it? Thanks x

My midwifes are happy to let me stay in the pool as long as I want and if the placenta comes away in there it's fine. She did say most women are out of the bath before the placenta is delivered though (this is if you're having a physiological 3rd stage)

Depends on the MW looking after you, some will be happy for you to remain in the pool to deliver the placenta, but depending on how long it takes (if not 'assisted' by the injection) you may want to get out regardless to warm you and bub up. placenta could take up to 1hr to deliver naturally so its a long time to be keeping you both warm in the wather still .

Other MW's will want you to get out so that they can monitor the amount of blood loss you are having as this is easier done on dry land then in the water.

My boyfriend held Isabelle, and I was in the pool, midwife put a tray underneath me whilst I pushed it out, slipped out almost straight away.

With DS2 we did delayed cord clamping so waited in the pool cuddling him till the cord stopped pulsing then it was but and not long after I started getting almighty contractions again so hubby cuddled him and then the placenta just slipped out into the water but I guess it depends on who you have looking after you on the day but once those contractions had started there was no way I was getting out of the pool! Lol!

My mw said that if I have a waterbirth they dont give u the injection, they let u deliver placenta naturally xxx

When I went for my Waterbirth Class at the hospital they said they want you out of the pool to deliver the placenta to measure blood loss.

I am yet to mention this to my midwives in reference to my homebirth as I dont want the cord cut until the placenta is out therefore if they want me out I'll be negotiating getting over the side of the pool with cord still intact!

When I went for my Waterbirth Class at the hospital they said they want you out of the pool to deliver the placenta to measure blood loss.

I am yet to mention this to my midwives in reference to my homebirth as I dont want the cord cut until the placenta is out therefore if they want me out I'll be negotiating getting over the side of the pool with cord still intact!

Yes this is what I'm thinking, I'm having a hospital birth, and hopefully a water one, I would like a natural third stage and I don't want the cord clamping until its stopped pulsating. So if they want me out the pool before I've delivered the placenta and baby is still attached it could be interesting!

I had a natural third stage and delivered the placenta in the water about half an hour after DD. I can imagine there's different policies in different places and like pp said it would probably also depend on how long the third stage took.

Hey!
My hospital doesn't allow it :-(
Too messy they said. I'd have aprox 10 mins skin on skin with baby and then I would need to deliver baby on bed whilst baby is cleaned. However if I gave birth out of water I could hold her as long as I wanted whilst I deliver the placenta!
Really want a water birth though!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->