Placenta Previa and Homebirth

MrsK

DH, 2 boys, #3 on the way
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant, and have been planning a homebirth with a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM). At 18 weeks, I got an ultrasound from a private sonographer (not one of those just-for-fun 3D places), and was diagnosed with 50% placenta previa. Both the sonographer and my midwife assured me that it's very likely to move before I deliver-- but that I will definitely need to get another ultrasound during third trimester.

I'm now debating what to do. Make an appointment with an obstetrician for this next ultrasound, in case the placenta hasn't moved? Have another private ultrasound (and pay out-of-pocket) in case the placenta has moved and I don't even need to bother with an OB? I'm clueless! My midwife really just wants me to get another ultrasound, and it obviously doesn't matter to her how I get it. :shrug:

Anybody have any experience with placenta previa in general? I might add that this condition is highly unusual for my category-- I'm 21, have never been pregnant before, haven't had any complications or surgeries, have never been a smoker, and certainly haven't done any cocaine. Oh, and my placenta is also anterior, if that makes any difference.

Sorry can't be of any help but just wanted to wish you the best of luck, hopefully because they've told you 50% PP and said it's likely to move things will just sort themselves out. I know it works differently in the US where care/scans are concerned, so I'm not sure what to suggest there. Have you posted in gestational complications? As someone there might be able to shine a bit more light on it for you? :)

I'm nor sure about the system re the scan just that you need to get one really :). Good luck! X

a couple of my friends had placenta previa but by 35 weeks it had moved and they had vaginal deliveries. Another friend had a complete placenta previa which did not move. at 34 weeks she had a massive bleed and was in hospital. her baby was born by emergency c section a week later. all of them are in their 20s and healthy non smokers. the chance is it will move BUT you must get another scan cause if it doesn't then obviously you should not delivery at home. i don't know how your system works over there

thanks everyone :)

Yes, I'm definitely getting another scan-- just wasn't too sure about seeing a doctor about it if I don't end up needing to get a c-section... since most doctors here in the states are quite opposed to home birth. Ah well, I guess I'll probably just have to survive a bit of ridicule!

Thanks again, girls!

aww, i do hope it moves up and out of the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->