Placenta Previa

ashleynd

Reaction score
I just had my sonogram last Friday and my nurse called to tell me that the baby is fine, but my placenta is low and closer to my cervix. They said it should go back up and usually does, but I'm still a little concerned. I'm supposed to go back and get a second sonogram at my 28 week appointment. Is anyone else dealing with this? What other problems are you having with placenta previa?

Hi Ashley, I think about 90% of placentas move up and out of the way so if you possibly can try not to worry about it until your next scan. If your case had been very serious, e.g. completely covering the cervix, they would have warned you now to watch for symptoms. As they didn't, try to ignore it for now :ignore:

Thanks! I did some research and it's been better for me today. I was just worried because this is my first baby and at first it seemed scary. Guess we'll find out more at my 28 week sono.

I was in the same position as you when pregnant with ds. It can be scary to read dr Google at first but if you filter to the bit where only a few are affected then it gets easier. My placenta moved out of the way but I had a planned section anyway :dohh:

When searching I found a lot of positive things. Will I have to still do a c section if it moves back up?

Not if it moves. If I understand your original post, it isn't even covering your cervix now, just close. I am not even sure it would be a problem as is, they would just prefer it be further up.

Not at all. There is a cut off point and if the placenta moves past it they are usually happy to go for a vaginal birth.

I had other factors going on that made a section safer. I had a great experience, btw, looking forward to a repeat section :D

It's not covering my cervix and as far as I understand it's only a little low. I'd rather not have a c section unless I have to. I plan on breast feeding and I've heard horror stories about trying to breast feed after a c section, but I'm sure it has to be possible to still breastfeed. In the end I'll do whatever is best for my little one.

I had a section at 38w. Ds was quickly weighed when he came out and then put on my chest for skin to skin for the remainder of the operation. He had his first feed in the recovery room and didn't stop for 20 months. It can be ok.
A planned section is a completely different thing to an emergency one.

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to chime in...your placenta will most likely move up and you'll be able to have a vaginal birth, but even if it doesn't, you can still have a positive experience.

I had complete placenta previa for my entire pregnancy, had a planned c-section (I had wanted an un-medicated birth), and it all turned out fine, and I am happy with my experience even though it wasn't my first choice. LO was immediately put on my chest in the OR, and I bf in recovery. I didn't have any bleeding or other symptoms during my pregnancy, they just told me to take it easy and not lift anything too heavy or do any high impact exercise, which most people avoid later in pregnancy anyway. So it wasn't a big thing in my case. Can it be an issue? Well, sure...but previa almost always resolves, and even if it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean your pregnancy will be complicated or scary. I think that's somewhat rare.

That makes me feel a ton better! I have a sonogram in 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens from there!

Mine was low at my anatomy scan and moved by 28 weeks. An overwhelming majority of them move up, even more so if they're not touching the cervix. Try not to worry too much, the statistics are in your favor, and if it stays low, a planned section is way better than a surprise section.

Mine was very low too. My mw has got my scan booked at 34 weeks. I have positive thoughts for it out of the road and I'm looking at my scan as "I get to see baby again" lol ;) I hope :)
GL at your scan x

I'm excited about getting a second scan to see how much she's grown! Originally I was only going to be ablr to get one sonogram because of my insurance but now that it's medically necessary I get a second one! Thanks ladies for all the positive thoughts and wishes!

I must say the one benefit of having complete previa my entire pregnancy was all the ultrasounds! I got so see my baby like, 6 times, it was so cool to see his progress! :)

Don't worry, they'll take good care of you and monitor things if it's still low at your next appointment, but it almost always moves up, especially if it's not touching the cervix. Fx for you getting the birth you want! :thumbup:

I'm hoping all goes well, but I've looked at the benefits of a planned c section over an emergency one so I suppose it's not as bad. On the 6th we'll get to find out more. Can't wait to see our little girl!

I had my second planned section last week and again had a wonderful experience, including feeding right away in the recovery room. She's hanging on my boob as I type this right now :rofl:

Good luck with the scan!

I had marginal/partial placenta previa that was found at ~15 weeks. By 20 weeks it had moved to pretty much out of the way, but they said they still wanted to see it move more. And by 24 weeks it was totally out of the way. They can move, so try not to panic too much. :hugs:

Mine was also very close to the cervix. I just had a scan on monday to check if it had moved and it has. It's supposed to be 30mm away at 32 weeks, mine was 29mm, but thats still ok. good luck, hope yours moves out he way too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->