Places to live in the UK

sheeps24

A mummy!
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is a long story but I quit my job when I finished maternity leave because it was to far to travel. I cannot find a job here and my OH is really depressed at his job and hates it, hes considering quiting and looking into benefits until he can find a new job which I dont agree with! The other week we talked about moving somewhere new then said oh its silly lets not bother, now he wants to move away again and I love our house its pricy but big and we will not find another house for this value any where else. Lately we have been fighting every day and ive done everything to look for a job and get us in a better situation, Ive rang up local shops, emailed them, sent them facebook messages! It is a cool idea to move away and start fresh but i wouldnt even know where to start looking! Can anyone tell me where is either cheap/nice/good jobs etc or just general ideas ...

I'd say for jobs, you need somewhere near a city/big town
In west yorks house prices are cheap, and there are so many towns with transport links for jobs

Other than that, I'd say midlands.

It's hard to say as I don't know the jobs your going for.

Ps we are looking into relocating too. We are looking south west, but prices seem expensive for houses. So OH would have to get a better paid job for us to enable it

Good luck

Xx

I'm in Surrey in the South East and its very expensive and I don't even work in London but do work in a large down very near and have a decent salary

Good luck!

I'm in west Yorkshire and can easily commute to Manchester (33min train) Leeds (19min train) Sheffield (40min drive) or Bradford (30 mins) so pretty good for jobs, good transport and house prices about 70000+ for 2-3 bed house. We rent a small two bed for 400 but for 500 could get a hood size three bed instead. Sadly DW is keen to move towards the other side of manc or down to Lincolnshire, both places less jobs and Lincolnshire very little public transport plus more expensive houses.

Where are you at the moment?

I'm in west Yorkshire and can easily commute to Manchester (33min train) Leeds (19min train) Sheffield (40min drive) or Bradford (30 mins) so pretty good for jobs, good transport and house prices about 70000+ for 2-3 bed house. We rent a small two bed for 400 but for 500 could get a hood size three bed instead. Sadly DW is keen to move towards the other side of manc or down to Lincolnshire, both places less jobs and Lincolnshire very little public transport plus more expensive houses.

Where are you at the moment?

Lincolnshire! we pay 550 for a 3 bed house and the public transport isnt good! Job centres are even worse and dont help at all!

Aah I feel you on the puic transport in Lincolnshire I grew up close to Lincoln and the transport is almost non existent, i was so shocked at all the public yransport when i moved here lol i almost felt a need to point everytime i saw a bus! it does sound like you have a good deal on your rent though.

I love Bristol, but there are no jobs and the housing is very expensive! You'll find that with everywhere 'down south' really x

Lincolnshire sucks. I live in skeg vegas :haha: and summer is great the rest not so much. Stay away from the coast

Lincolnshire sucks. I live in skeg vegas :haha: and summer is great the rest not so much. Stay away from the coast

got to love good old skeg vegas!

I too am lincolnshire and if my dad hadn't helped me get the job i am in now i doubt i wouldnt have been in a job for long.

I would love to re-locate to scotland or cornwall but right now just don't have the money or resources to just up and move. wish i could though. i need a fresh start!

a bit further north tends to be less expensive and also if you get close to a good town/city then public transport increases immensely.

you tried heading closer to peterborough/cambridge? similar sort of prices but as they are good commuter spots jobs are easier to find.

im in the midlands, well warwickshire really the village we live in is fantastic and five minute walk from my house is a train station that takes 15 mins to get into nbirmingham city centre and about the same to get into coventry, there is also a bus service to solihull and coventry that run every half an hour or so.
for a village the transport links are great and you get the best of both worlds, a nice semi rural area and easy links to two cities.
there are quite a few villages areound this area and all are lovely.
Our house is £650 a month but we are in the middle of the village in a three bed semi with a large garden, there are terraced houses cheaper and other villages vary in price.
what type of work does your partner do?

I love West Yorkshire, I live in Leeds. Jobs aren't easy to find anywhere, but there's a lot more opportunities in a city. I pay £500 a month to rent a 2 bed back to back terrace (quite a 'big' one though- 2 double beds/large bathroom/large cellar with patio door) in a nice suburb about 5 miles away from the city centre. There's good transport links (I have no problem getting 2 buses to be at work 7 miles away for 7:30am so the buses can't be that bad haha) and we do rely on OH's car a lot, but it is feasible to live here with out any car if you needed to.

I think it's really hard (impossible?) though to really advise you where to move, because we don't know enough about your situation. But I do love Leeds, so you should look at jobs here and search on rightmove to see what sort of things you can get for your money. x

As others have said I guess not too far from a city is your best bet for jobs. I am in the North West and love the buzz of Liverpool and Manchester :) Have you guys thought of starting your own business/being self employed doing something you enjoy or are good at?

Im just outside London/Surrey. i spose the beenfits are there always jobs whether it be in the city or any of the surrounding towns, pay is better as you get Large Town Allowance, there more public transport then one could ever need.

but housing expensive, esp renting, every where is overcrowed - like most school are way over subscribed, and hospitals have huge waiting lists.

but i quite like it, i like being in the centre of things i talk to girls on FB who dont even have a macdonalds (i have 3 within walking distance) or who have to wait 2 days for the next bus (i get annoyed if one not been in 2 min) i have everything and everyone at my doorstep.

Yes we need to know what your job/housing/area requirements are. What's important to you?

Places I've lived:
A Berkshire suburban haven: It's heavenly here for millionaires. For the rest of us, paying the bills is a long, hard slog. Rent/mortgage RIDICULOUS. Everything's massively expensive. Nice area though! Big upside: Lots of accessible places. London a few stops away, Reading/Basingstoke for shopping, not even far from the beach. If your salary is generally decent I'd consider it. We feel safer about the work situation here because there's always London. I've grown to love it and push aside the resentment about being robbed of so much money all the time.

Cheltenham, glos: Awesome balance. Still expensive but not nearly as bad, enough jobs in my field. Pleasant, nice parks. Bristol nearby for work/shopping. West country feel in local places. It's nice. Bit secluded compared to here.

Nottinghamshire village: This was literally the (ex) pits. Unemployment levels crazy. Everything really cheap but nothing around, no opportunities at all. Felt far from the rest of the world!

Brittany, France: Do this if by some amazing chance you get offered a job there because my village was heaven!

I've been about a bit :haha:

Don't come to Dorset!
Don't get me wrong it's a lovely place to visit and is very beautiful but there are no jobs here. Wages are very very low and cost of living is very high in comparison.
A decent 3 bed house in an ok area cost £950, at least, a month.
I love it here but really wish I could get a better paid job. We constantly struggle and it sucks.

My mum lives in Lincolnshire (coastal) and is always trying to woo us up there with the promise of cheap houses (we currently live in London). I'm like "well that's fine and good but there's a reason property is so cheap, there's not a lot of work there".

I was also going to suggest West or South Yorkshire before I saw everyone else's responses! We are considering relocating there depending what happens with my job. Cheap housing (obviously varies a bit between less and more popular areas but generally cheapish) and lots of cities with opportunities nearby like Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds etc.

We are in Herts, lovely village, have a station, 30 min in to central London, right by the M25, lots of nice towns around us etc. BUT it is cripplingly expensive. We have pretty good jobs but the money just vanishes after tax, pension etc. Childcare is £60 a day for us and that's not the most expensive. We live in a 2 bed end of terrace cottage with land and we know we can get a 5 bed detached in Cambs for the same price. Transport is available but it's a) expensive and b) so unreliable. Schools are excellent but over suscribed heavily which forces us to think down the private route.. Council tax is high, cost of living in general is high. Would I change it? Nope. I was born here, went to uni in the North West and wanted to come back as I prefer the way of life here. It's faster paced with more opportunities, you just have to sacrifice a little along the way.

To be honest I don't know that there are many jobs anywhere. We're up north and are looking literally all over the north for OH and there is so little. House prices aren't that cheap either, especially in the North West.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->