Planned C-section and breast feeding

Hopeful18

Reaction score
I have a C-section scheduled for Monday... only 3 more days! I'm ready to meet my little girl.

But tonight I was just thinking about how when you go into labor, your hormones are also getting your body ready to breast feed. The doctor checked today and I'm not dilated or anything so I don't think any of that has started for me.

My question is- If my body doesn't start the labor naturally, will the colostrum come in and then the milk a few days later like it's supposed too???

Thanks ladies!!!

I have a C-section scheduled for Monday... only 3 more days! I'm ready to meet my little girl.

But tonight I was just thinking about how when you go into labor, your hormones are also getting your body ready to breast feed. The doctor checked today and I'm not dilated or anything so I don't think any of that has started for me.

My question is- If my body doesn't start the labor naturally, will the colostrum come in and then the milk a few days later like it's supposed too???

Thanks ladies!!!

Hey there, I don't have personal experience, but my close friend just had her twins (planned section) and she is breastfeeding like a champ! They were born at 31 weeks, so "frequent nursing" wasn't really an option. She just had to use the hospital grade pump every 2-3 hours, and try and be near the babies while doing it as much as possible. She started lactating from this alone, but they said they had a special hormone shot they could administer if the mother's body didn't lactate naturally. If your planned c-section is at full-term, I bet you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you tell them as soon as you get there that you plan on breastfeeding, and not to offer your baby a bottle after your c-section as it can cause major confusion for the baby. And just ask to speak to their lactation consultant on duty, and I bet she will be happy to get you started. :) GOOD LUCK! I wouldn't be able to sleep at all this weekend if I knew my babe was coming on Monday!!

it comes a day or two later than in would with a regular delivery. i think i only had milk on the 5th day.. colostrum was right from the begining

You will have colostrum! I had a really rough delivery experience with my first DS, and I was in the ICU for 3 days following his delivery. He was born at 35+5 and I was able to pump colostrum in the ICU after his birth. Your body knows what to do, so trust it and don't worry :) To answer your question: Yes, you will have your colostrum for your baby for the first few days, and then a few days later your milk will come in.

Yes, and it isn't too much different from a vaginal birth, which I had. My milk still didn't come in for 5 days

I had a planned c-section and I had colostrum and milk before we went home (2 days) I started making colostrum only a few hours later.

I had a c section at 34 weeks, no labour. 3 hours after he was delivered I was hand expressing for him. Couldn't breastfeed as he was very poorly in nicu. I hand expressed every few hours until he passed. My milk came in properly on day 4, at which point I was given tablets to stop it as it wasn't needed x

Asked my mw same question. .. its not hormones during labour that bring in breast milk... its the removal of the placenta which happens regardless of birth type... under 5% of women physically cant feed all the the rest lose patience or think theyre not producing enough when they just need to express aftwr every feed to up the production ...

Well thats according to my midwife .lol

It's correct its the placenta coming away which triggers the hormonal process that makes milk, colostrum should be being made as soon as your baby is born or even before. Most women who have a c-section don't have any delay in their milk coming in particularly if it's a planned section xx

My milk came in after 3 days for both my emergency and planned sections.

I had a c section at 34 weeks, no labour. 3 hours after he was delivered I was hand expressing for him. Couldn't breastfeed as he was very poorly in nicu. I hand expressed every few hours until he passed. My milk came in properly on day 4, at which point I was given tablets to stop it as it wasn't needed x

I really appreciate your response and I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->