Planning a water birth?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Any ladies out there planning to give birth in the water? :)

Yes I am! I had a water birth with ds2 and it was amazing. Fingers crossed I can get a room with a pool when it's time though!

I'm hoping for one, even though it is a ways away. I know how much water can help with pain, so fingers crossed I am able to do it.

Yay!! I'm happy to see ladies doing water births as well :)

Loozle - Amazing you've done a water birth already, will you share your experience? What helped you prepare? I hope that you'll get a room with a pool again.

Dini - I've read amazing things about water helping the pain. I'm absolutely terrified of the epidural and interventions that can happen afterward so I want to avoid it and water just sounded the best.

Mummy - Power to you! DH really wanted a home water birth, but I worried that my mind would freak out too much being at home so we're doing it at a birth center.

Yay!! I'm happy to see ladies doing water births as well :)

Loozle - Amazing you've done a water birth already, will you share your experience? What helped you prepare? I hope that you'll get a room with a pool again.

Dini - I've read amazing things about water helping the pain. I'm absolutely terrified of the epidural and interventions that can happen afterward so I want to avoid it and water just sounded the best.

Mummy - Power to you! DH really wanted a home water birth, but I worried that my mind would freak out too much being at home so we're doing it at a birth center.

Is this your first baby? Birth centres are lovely places, is it near or within hospital grounds?

I think the main thing for me is that as much as I hoped to have a water birth, I also accepted that its not always possible for various reasons. I water really helped with pain relief. I got into the pool not long after getting to the birthing centre (which is inside the hospital) I was at 5cm at that point. He was born less than 2 hours later with 10 minutes of pushing and only a very slight graze. Being able to lift him up and onto my chest myself was amazing. It was such a calm experience, talking about it makes me so excited to do it again! :happydance:

Is this your first baby? Birth centres are lovely places, is it near or within hospital grounds?

Yes it's our first :) When we toured the birth center DH was so shocked how nice it was, I don't know what he originally thought they were lol! It's near two hospitals so I feel pretty secure if things don't go as planned.

I think the main thing for me is that as much as I hoped to have a water birth, I also accepted that its not always possible for various reasons. I water really helped with pain relief. I got into the pool not long after getting to the birthing centre (which is inside the hospital) I was at 5cm at that point. He was born less than 2 hours later with 10 minutes of pushing and only a very slight graze. Being able to lift him up and onto my chest myself was amazing. It was such a calm experience, talking about it makes me so excited to do it again! :happydance:

That sounds so amazing! I really hope our birth can be a calm experience. I've began reading Hypnobabies and one of Ina May's natural birth books trying to gather ways to prepare myself. I know things don't always go according to plan so I won't beat myself up if things happen and we have to transfer to the hospital. For now I'll stick to being positive that it's going to be great:thumbup:

I'm so bummed, my husband seems to be the only person who thinks I can do a natural birth. Even my MIL who wears natural birth like a trophy still thinks I'm being silly walking into a birth center rather than a hospital:nope: At least DH stands behind me.

Yes it's our first :) When we toured the birth center DH was so shocked how nice it was, I don't know what he originally thought they were lol! It's near two hospitals so I feel pretty secure if things don't go as planned.

That sounds so amazing! I really hope our birth can be a calm experience. I've began reading Hypnobabies and one of Ina May's natural birth books trying to gather ways to prepare myself. I know things don't always go according to plan so I won't beat myself up if things happen and we have to transfer to the hospital. For now I'll stick to being positive that it's going to be great:thumbup:

I'm so bummed, my husband seems to be the only person who thinks I can do a natural birth. Even my MIL who wears natural birth like a trophy still thinks I'm being silly walking into a birth center rather than a hospital:nope: At least DH stands behind me.

If you plan on having more children, could always look in to it then. I couldnt of done it with my first :)

Ahh i hate it when other opinions start coming in, hubby family only found out we were planning homebirth few weeks ago i couldnt be bothered if they had any comments. You can so do it!

We plan on having at least two. I'm going in with the mindset we can do it and to trust my body. Women have been birthing for thousands of years, we were made for this! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->