Planning on breastfeeding what to buy?

tublet

Reaction score
I want to give breastfeeding a go so not planning on buying any bottles before birth.

I want to pump eventually but was planning on buying a pump and bottles after the birth once I have breast feeding established etc.

Does that sound ok? I am going to stock on breast shields, cream etc to help!

I think that sounds good. Though I will say I'm glad I had a pump right away. So far I use lansinoh cream all the time, breast pads (love the ones that peel and stick to my bras), several super comfy well fitting nursing bras, and I used a pump in the hospital because LO wouldn't latch at first and used my pump at home to help me get through engorgement. Those are all my accessories I think, lol.

If u can I would def buy a pump before. I needed it the first day home as had problems with latching and sore nipples, but the midwife gave me a special feeding cup so I didnt use bottles for a few weeks after. Good luck :) xx

Get a pump before if you can afford it. In the early days it can help with getting supply in if needed, helping with engorgement used sparingly and to pump if an issue requires you do. From my experience with EBF these are the things I need
Lansinoh
Breast pads (absorbent)
Boppy/other BF pillow
Burp cloths for early days of heavy leaking during feeding
Pump
Bags/storage for milk
I also keep 2 bottles on hand and a freebie can of formula. Honestly you never know what can happen, I prefer to have it on hand if something ever did. Thankfully I've never needed it with either so far.

I ended up needing the pump from day 1 because she wouldn't feed well in the beginning. Even after we came home, I used it quite a bit to get my supply established. Other than that, the things I really needed were lansinoh, breast pads, storage bags, and a good nursing bra. I had to shell out quite a bit of money on the bras, but it made a huge difference for me.

As others have said, it is a good idea to have a pump in the early days (if only to relieve engorgement), but you can just get a cheap manual pump. I used one that the hospital gave me for free. I really haven't needed anything more than that, though you'll probably want an electric one if you end up expressing a lot. I got a single electric pump later on, but I've hardly used it.

Other than that I really didn't need much except some comfortable nursing bras and a Boppy pillow (actually two, one for upstairs and one downstairs). Not everyone likes using a Boppy, but for me it is essential.

a good bottle that mimics the breast with a slow flow nipple for feeding with ebm!

I have to disagree with the formula though. It's been reported that actually having formula in your house makes you statistically less likely to be successful in breastfeeding. I'm guessing because its easier for some moms to just give a bottle if you're exhausted and having difficulty. This is why formula companies spend so much money giving out free samples before your due date. It's so easy to get formula and bottles if you actually need them.

oh and a good book on breastfeeding would be a big help,
I suggest Ina Mays Guide to Breastfeeding, or the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding!

An E-reader, seriously. It's my best breastfeeding friend. It's fantastic to be able to read easily during a long nursing session. And you can have an assortment of books all at the touch of a button so you can have a few nice fluffy books, that may be all your brain is capable of digesting in the early months. Some breastfeeding books, I like The Politics of Breastfeeding and The Womanly Art. Reference books on parenting/newborns/etc if you feel a need to check something. And anything else you fancy. Download Calibre to your computer and you can also load on daily newspapers, magazine selections and articles from many websites for free.

If you don't have one already get one of the £29 Nooks B&N are burning off and load it up with books you like before the baby arrives. You might think I'm kidding but there will come a time when you are alone with the baby, either truly alone in the daytime or the only waking adult at night. And having a good selection of reading material that's physically easy to read will get you through it.

Also a thermal mug with a lid to keep your hot drinks hot and protect the baby from sploshes. A sling is also handy so you can have both handsfree when you need them. Though you'll probably want to use one to cuddle the baby most of the time.

I second the E-reader and the pump. I had problems feeding in the beginning and without my pump I would have had to start him on formula for suplimenting because he was loosing to much weight while we worked on our latching issues. It was a lifesaver

You don't need to buy a pump; in an emergency you can hand express and hand expression is better for relieving engorgement, using any pump can over stimulate supply in some women. It depends where you live but in most areas of the UK all major supermarkets, most pharmacies and baby shops sell manual pumps at the very least so if push came to shove someone could easily get one for you if you for whatever reason were unable to do so yourself. All hospitals here have pumps for use by new mothers as well, so if you're in hospital and need to pump for whatever reason you don't have to worry about bringing your own. Otherwise I would just advise some Lansinoh or coconut oil, and good fitting bras, get measured for these as late as possible and make sure the staff are trained in fitting breastfeeding bras in particular as some are not. I would also get a small pack of breast pads though I have found after the first few days that my bra is enough to stop leaking so a big pack would go to waste. I would also say do not have formula in the house, again in the UK in an absolute emergency it is so easy to get hold of xx

Thank you everyone, I have a 24 tesco extra 5 minsdown the road so if I needed formula I could get it, as others have said its the temptation I don't want!

I have an iPad and kindle so sorted on that side, and will look into a breast pump as well

Thank you!

Easy healthy snacks with oats in, ready made drinks in sports bottles, tv remote, muslin squares, baby and breasts.
I had the sleep nursing bras to start with and got some proper nursing bras after a couple of weeks.
I also went through tonnes of breast pads and got washable ones in the end but every one is different.
Lansinoh was great.
Xx

My Brest Friend nursing pillow really made a huge difference for me for the first 3 months. It would hurt to hunch over in the Boppy while she nursed for 40 minutes at a time.
A good water bottle. Drink lots of water.
Snacks.
I love my glider. I wish I had a table for either side to put my drink and snacks on.
If you are able to stay home with your baby the whole first year I wouldn't buy a pump right away. If you need to build a stash buy a good pump.
I would recommend nursing tanks for right after delivery and save the fitting for the bras until you know what size you will be.
Good luck!

I put a pump and some bottles n lay-by before DS was born. They would have held it for up to 3 months but if I didn't need it (say no supply for some reason) then I could have used the credit for anything else in the shop. Plus I had the receipt so all I had to do was send hubby down to pick it up when I was ready for it (no thinking or question asking involved on his part).

1. My brestfriend pillow
2. Regular stretchy tank top that can be used for nursing
3. Breast pads
4. Lansinoh lanolin
5. Breast pump

Perfect.

All you need are lots of breast pads and Lansinoh!

Don't spend too much on nursing bras, your breasts might change every month, especially if you lose all the weight back over the months. The most comfortable ones are those stretchy sport bras, like the ahh bra, you can just pull them up, or I pull the sleeve over my arm.

Lansinoh as said, but also air your nipples to help with soreness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->