Planning to go for another home birth, but curious about something.....

La Mere

Mama of 4, ttc #5
Reaction score
Hi all!! A lil background on me: I am a mother of one beautiful lil girl, am 21 years old and happily married to my best friend. I had two midwives with my daughter (moved in the middle of the pregnancy) and planned a water birth at home ended up going to the hospital. I do not believe I needed to go, but as I signed the legal decision over to the midwife, I had to go and ended up having my daughter not even 2 hours after going to the hospital.

So, now that I am expecting number two in January, I am planning a home birth again, though a dry land birth. ATM, OH and I don't have a steady income coming in because of the kind of work he does with his father. So we haven't secured a midwife for the birth, even though we have found several very nice ones. I have talked to a couple ladies I know around here who have had their children at home and more than one of them unassisted by a midwife with only their husbands there.

I have also been doing my own research about unassisted home birth and reading other women's birth stories. And as someone who likes to have a wealth of knowledge before making a decision this huge, it has helped a lot.. also as someone who has never felt comfortable in a hospital, it means a lot to me to go for a successful home birth.. no matter how it comes. I have also been praying a lot about this, hoping that God will provide a way for me to make this happen in a safe a good way.

So, all that being said, I was just curious if any of the ladies on here have had unassisted home births and how the experience was? Thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks in advance!!

I have not had a unassisted birth, but I have had several friends who did and they all loved them.

I have not had a unassisted birth, but I have had several friends who did and they all loved them.

Thank you very much for your reply! I had never really thought about it until after I had my daughter and birthing her somewhere I was uncomfortable.

I'm considering an unassisted home birth as well. It's my first baby, so I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about the subject. I seem to find more good about the topic than bad. Not sure if that's just because people avoid talking about any bad experiences they had with the situation or if it's really been easier to go totally natural, ya know?

I'm considering an unassisted home birth as well. It's my first baby, so I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about the subject. I seem to find more good about the topic than bad. Not sure if that's just because people avoid talking about any bad experiences they had with the situation or if it's really been easier to go totally natural, ya know?

Oh YouTube is wonderful! I've also found alot of good stories of other's birthing experiences. If you would like I can bring up the links and post them for you to check them out. But the one friend of mine in particular that I have talked to who had two of her three unassisted has had wonderful births both times.

are you maybe looking for a way of financing a home birth with a midwife? if your income is that sketchy, you should check with your local DHS (department of human services) office. i don't know about colorado, but many states will cover you if you are pregnant (thru medicaid) and don't have insurance. as far as i am aware, they are now required to pay for home birth midwives, although sometimes it's only for cnm and not a cpm. did any of the midwives you spoke to talk about financing? i know it's a pain... we have insurance that won't cover a home birth and are paying out of pocket.

sorry... never tried unassisted. my last birth was a failed induction for no medical reason and then c-section (go figure...). good luck whatever you decide!

There are quite a few free birthers here in on the board. If you do a search of 'unassisted' in this section you'll see it comes up a lot. There's a few on the Facebook group too and there's a strong UC community on there too :)

Thank you ladies so much for your replies! I greatly appreciate it! I found this very nice gal to talk to.. silver_penny. We haven't talked that long, but what she has told me has already helped immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->