Playing music to your LO

I play for him all kind of music, but as weird as it sounds, he loves moving around when I play Enigma's music!

I haven't yet been playing music specifically for bubs. I have read they respond well to classical music, but don't know if I could put myself through that, as I'm not a classical music fan! I have also read that it's what baby/ child hears as they grow up that will have a much bigger influence on them. I still remember and like the songs my dad used to play and dance around with me when I was a little girl!

I still remember and like the songs my dad used to play and dance around with me when I was a little girl!

Me too. The earliest song I remember being played was Stevie Wonder "Isn't She Lovely". I'm not sure how far back I remember it from, but my mum said she used to play it a lot after I was born and dance around to it with me.

My hubby keeps reminding me that what LO hears in the womb is what it will relate to when it gets out, so if I want the baby to be soothed by the Thong Song, R. Kelly, Skunk Anansie and New Kids On The Block, then carry on...

Hmm...:-k

lol :rofl: that gave me a good old giggle- imagined you having to sing thong song to LO :rofl:

'fraid all our little one is listening to is fifty cent (thanks to my brother an his great music taste played at FULL volume) and chris brown 'forever' (repeated continuosly as i love that song)

My hubby keeps reminding me that what LO hears in the womb is what it will relate to when it gets out, so if I want the baby to be soothed by the Thong Song, R. Kelly, Skunk Anansie and New Kids On The Block, then carry on...

Hmm...:-k

lol :rofl: that gave me a good old giggle- imagined you having to sing thong song to LO :rofl:

'fraid all our little one is listening to is fifty cent (thanks to my brother an his great music taste played at FULL volume) and chris brown 'forever' (repeated continuosly as i love that song)

LOL! Actually hubby and I were having a nice loud sing-a-long in the car last night. Our LO was enjoying Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart, Joe's All The Things Your Man Won't Do, Mariah Carey's Emotions (complete with high-pitched screaming from me), Skunk Anansie's Weak As I Am and Jamie Foxx Unpredictable complete with my hub's Ludacris impression.

I dunno if LO was wriggling with glee or was writhing in pain from all the noise we were making but we definately got a reaction!:rofl:

My songs started from just being listened to in the car but bubba seemed to react to them so now im playing them at home to,

They are Mika's Lollipop and Big girls are beautiful and Barry Whites My first my last my everything !

I still remember and like the songs my dad used to play and dance around with me when I was a little girl!

Me too! I think that's where my obsession with The Beatles started, I remember making my dad write out all the lyrics for Yellow Submarine, even those weird bits in the middle where they're talking to eachother!:rofl:

Now we have different favourite Beatles albums and end up arguing over which is better!!

lol at Neecee, I think you've a while to wait before you need to be too worried about the sexy tunes!

I suck and never get round to putting any music on so keep forgetting to listen unless DH is home. I've played some classical on the piano and my Mum is going to lend me some nursery song books as my preg book says 25 weeks is the time to sing songs to help the development of the left and right sides of the brain by bringing music and words together.

Generally LO gets what we want to listen to but seems to have a particular penchant for White Zombie...

A sign of things to come maybe Peanutbean? DH has convinced himself Ed will come out with long hair, a beard and giving the sign of the devil :rofl:

I have also found that he reacts to a guy called Bruce Buffer who does the fight announcements for UFC

l
Generally LO gets what we want to listen to but seems to have a particular penchant for White Zombie...

A sign of things to come maybe Peanutbean? DH has convinced himself Ed will come out with long hair, a beard and giving the sign of the devil :rofl:

I have also found that he reacts to a guy called Bruce Buffer who does the fight announcements for UFC

I hope so! I'll be devastated if LO grows up to like dance and RnB! lol DH's hair is longer than mine (and mine's not been cut in 2 years).

Elm - what sort of classical music are you interested in playing to LO? If you want relaxing stuff try Debussy's Arabesques of Clair de Lune, more recently Satie is quite mellow. If you're after developing mathematical ability I reckon Bach's Innovations will have it! If you tell me what you want I could ask my Dad for some recommendations as he is the King of Classical!

Ooh Elm or go for anything by Tchaikovsky, that's really easy going - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Dance of the Flutes are both gorgeous!!

I just play whatever I feel like listening to that day. So we've been listening to lots of The Fray, Wintersleep, DCFC, and Jack Johnson, with the occasional day of Katy Perry!! No cultured music going on here :rofl:

My LO loves the upbeat disney tunes such as "cant wait to be king" "under the sea", "Bare necessities" and "hakuna matata" :rofl:

My little girl is the same, i went 2 watch Lion King in London a few weeks back and every time they sang she kicked like mad! it was kinda cute.

x

I did try this but my baby does NOT care for music totally ignors it :cry: so i gave up

All the sort ofmusic we like really, also wanna play Jack Johnson's Curious George album..it's got a lovely lullaby song on it :D x x

I know it's too early for my LO but I've been playing lots of Classical music to him/her, both on the piano and on the radio/CD player - also lots of Disney as well (finally have my excuse for listening to Disney tracks).

Elm - what sort of classical music are you interested in playing to LO? If you want relaxing stuff try Debussy's Arabesques of Clair de Lune, more recently Satie is quite mellow. If you're after developing mathematical ability I reckon Bach's Innovations will have it! If you tell me what you want I could ask my Dad for some recommendations as he is the King of Classical!

Thanks for the suggestions. We're fighting dyslexia and dyscalculia so anything that might stimulate more brain parts developing sounds like a good idea!!! I love the cello music of Bach's I've heard but it sounds really sad! I've been playing LO some Muse and Martin Grech which both have the complexities of classical music I think, there's lots of piano and strings anyway...
Will check out Debussy, Satie and Bach's Innovations.

:hug: x

Thanks for the suggestions. We're fighting dyslexia and dyscalculia so anything that might stimulate more brain parts developing sounds like a good idea!!! I love the cello music of Bach's I've heard but it sounds really sad! I've been playing LO some Muse and Martin Grech which both have the complexities of classical music I think, there's lots of piano and strings anyway...
Will check out Debussy, Satie and Bach's Innovations.

:hug: x

I'm not sure I'd agree about Muse quite having the complexities of classical (though the main guy is classically trained and it's as close as you might get in modern rock - I like Muse and you can totally tell he has classical training!) and I've not heard of Martin Grech...

Jazz can be interesting and complex. Apparently there is research to show that our liking of music links to our familiarity of it and understanding of its complexity. So if you are raised listening to improvised jazz you will understand it but if you're only brought up on something plain you might not even recognise other styles as being music (take my dad and rock for example! lol) Jazz can be very mathematically complicated - if you like saxophone have a try with Charlie Parker and Miles Davis.

Also songs are supposed to help link the left and right side of the brain as words and music are managed in different sides. So try some songs too. I don't know but I would be less inclined to go for orchestral stuff simply because I can imagine it blurring a bit in transmission through the fluid and tum. I would think solos or say trios/quartets might have more clarity for the baby. I've no evidence for this though! Don't forget Beethoven who is a master! Oh and Chopin's waltzes could add a different theme, Chopin has some beautiful preludes too. All these for piano (I only know what I play as I don't; tend to lsitent o classical much).

As an observation, lots of people on BnB seem to have noticed LO wiggling more to rock, metal etc, by which I read bassy stuff. It would make sense for this to get through more easily, so maybe focus on music with a deeper timbre, so perhaps not shrill violin so much in favour of cello?

My OH has been putting headphones on my belly on a regular basis playing gentle electronic music to him... I wont let him play the harsher music. I've been playing lots of varied stuff too :D

When he takes the headphones off, LO kicks me like he is saying "oy!! I was enjoying that!!"

I'm not sure I'd agree about Muse quite having the complexities of classical (though the main guy is classically trained and it's as close as you might get in modern rock - I like Muse and you can totally tell he has classical training!) and I've not heard of Martin Grech...

Thanks for the reply it was very informative. There's loads for me to check out there. Think I'll definitely be including a bit of Gershwin, I discovered my Porgy & Bess CD and I'll be able to sing along when LO is crying and I'm trying to stop him! I'll enjoy it anyway :)

https://www.last.fm/music/Martin+Grech - if you're interested have a listen to Open Heart Zoo he wrote it at 19 which I thought was quite impressive - probably not quite as impressive as some classical composers though. I was playing Showbiz of Muses - might not be as complex as some classical but might equal others... it surpasses what we played in the school orchestra :rofl:

Thanks for the reply it was very informative. There's loads for me to check out there. Think I'll definitely be including a bit of Gershwin, I discovered my Porgy & Bess CD and I'll be able to sing along when LO is crying and I'm trying to stop him! I'll enjoy it anyway :)

Porgy and Bess is amazing! Have you seen it? We went to see it in London at the Savoy for our one year anniversary and I was moved to tears. The actors were incredible and were trained to the point of opera so their voices were just indescribably intense! I would highly recommend it! Gershwin is amazing. I thought about mentioning him. Not sure why I didn't! Get a spot of Rhapsody in Blue on too!

Having a listen to Martin Grech now...

Oh and Jacques Loussier does jazzed up versions of classical, he's amazing too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->