Please help, 8yr old hallucinating

NinaAutumn

Reaction score
I have posted on here before about my OHs son. He is currently being looked at by his school for suffering potential Attention Deficit Disorder and possibly low level autism.

Last night he started talking about how he keeps seeing the face of an evil head teacher from a TV show he watches. He's really distraught about it. He sees it in the fireplace, on the face of his cats on the trampoline...all over.

My OH is worried sick. His son's mother is also clearly upset. As we're not there to see what is really happening we can't make a clear judgement. My OH has said perhaps he needs to see someone but his ex has said absolutely not as she doesn't want him "poked and prodded". She texted my OH this morning to say their son was no better and my OH replied "What are you going to do?" :dohh: She said "well that just says it all" (I berated my OH saying it should always be 'what are WE going to do when it comes to your son!)

I was just wondering if anyone at all had had a child hallucinate? You immediately panic and think it's a mental illness. He also says he has two brains, one he can control and one he can't.

Any suggestions or ideas how my OH can help to deal with this?

As a bit of background my OH and his ex split nearly 3 yrs ago. My OH and I got together around Jan of this year, live together and are expecting a baby (could this be contributing??). I get on really well with my OHs son and he's been really excited about the baby. We have him stay with us 3 weekends out of 4 and my OH speaks to him every night on the phone. They also have a good relationship.

I don't have experience with that exactly, but it sounds kind of scary. I would definitely have him see a professional. I think someone needs to figure out what is wrong. I used to have terrible hallucinations and delusions when I had a fever as a kid (basically every time I got a flu), but never without a fever.

Kids do go through phases and grow out of different problems, but of course there's no guarantee it's a passing thing, and it could be serious. If it were my kid, I'd get him checked out.

My child has autism. Hullicinations are not a symptom of autism. Autism is a disorder with communication and social skills. Hullucinations a symptom of other mental illnesses. I would take him to the ER to see a psychologist. He can become self harming, or hurt other unintentionally. He needs medication.

I agree with pp, hallucinations are not a part of autism, and definitely not part of ADD. It could be possible that what they think is ADD is actually a manic episode of bipolar disorder. I've worked in the medical field for years, and hallucinations (heard or seen) are most typical of schizophrenia and bipolar I (which can also result in psychotic episodes). There are a slew of other psychotic disorders and combinations that also have this as a symptom, so he needs a full psychiatric evaluation.

Now, all that being said: could it be possible that he's just thinking of this certain character and is expressing himself improperly? Sometimes kids say things they don't exactly mean.

Thank you for your replies. My OH went and spent Saturday with him and talked about the hallucinations. He said he also saw darth vader and decided to fight him.

My OH says he feels his ex was 'over exaggerating' and that perhaps it was just his imagination.

He hasn't dismissed it by any means but he feels less worried that is is dramatic as his ex made out.

I have Asperger's which is low level autism (pretty much the lowest end you can go!) and I suffer SEPARATELY from hallucinations as part of my psychosis (I'm one sandwich short of a picnic!). MamaE made a good point in that perhaps the hallucinations are part of a manic phase in bipolar (which I also have!).

I wouldn't under estimate this at all. My mum used to tell people I was making things up for attention, and that when I did see things they "couldn't be that serious". Unfortunately for me, everything I was telling her was the truth and turned out to be VERY serious (I was plonked in 3 different high detention units at 18 following a very quick diagnosis of bipolar when I finally went mad).

To tell someone he has "two brains, one that he can't control" would indicate something quite serious to me.

I also wonder if, at the age of just 8, he has got this sort of information from a film he shouldn't have been watching etc and has decided to act it out for himself (I had friends that did this!), but it really sounds like something more serious to me. I'm not suggesting this, but is it a possibility? Does he have any friends with diagnosed mental illness that he could be copying?

I think you should keep a log of what he says that would concern someone who isn't used to his behaviour, and what mood he has been in, if you have had a little row that could have triggered it etc...

He needs to see a professional. If it is serious and it is a mental health disorder / issue it certainly sounds like it needs monitoring and medicating ASAP. He is not going to be "prodded and poked", we don't live in the 60's anymore!

Honestly, I have an 8 year old (with ASD) and a 10 year old....8 is really old to be having such vivid imaginations that they think it is real. even my 8 year old, who is assessed as a 4 year old, knows the difference. I think he needs help. I think this needs to be taken more seriously. It won't hurt him to get help. But, it will hurt him if he doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->