Please help, Contraceptive implant affecting supply

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hello,

About three weeks ago I decided to get the contraceptive inplant. The doctor Bd health visitor were constantly on at me about whether is decided on what time of contraception to use I really felt pressurised to start on one. My doctor gave me the choice of ones I could use when breastfeeding. I didn't want any hormone one, however my doctor advised me against the copper coil due and really pushed for me having the implant reassuring me it would have no supply whats so ever on my milk supply. As that was a big concern of mine. So taking her advice I reluctantly got it. That was three weeks ago.

So, at the end of the first week I started spotting blood and at the sams time I had a drastic reduction in milk. I usually have full breasts for most of the day, however in the morning I woke up and they felt totally empty and like deflated balloons! It really stressed me out and my LO was very fussy whilst feeding and never seaming full. I bean pumping like mad, massaging, taking fenugreek tablets, hot showers and all the oats I could eat. After three long stressful days my supply started to go up again. My breasts never felt as full as they did previously but I didn't feel they were back up again,

Anyways the same has happened again two weeks later, the spotting started and then my boobs are totally empty abd not satisfying my LO. She was up ever hour last night feeding and crying and not being satisfied to sleep. Its so stressful :-( its day three of my lack of milk and not showing signs of improving. Its really upsetting me as I hate seeing my hungry little girl wanting more. Iv phoned the health visitor and she has assured me the implant won't have had affected my supply. She suggested getting formula for if I need up top up my LO, which I really don't want to do. It all seems like too much of a coincidence. I'm really wanting to just get it out now. When I phoned up to make an appointment the first one is the 25th of October, which seems like forever.

Has anyone had a sinar experience with the implant? Could it be affecting my supply or do you think there could be so be other reason? What else can I do to get my silly back up??

My little girl is 13 weeks, always been a great feeder and never not fed for more than 2/3 hours.

Thanks xxx

I've definitely heard of it affecting supply, I'd push for an earlier appointment to have it removed. Once it is removed your milk supply should return.

Tell the doctors what the appt is for and perhaps they can fit you in a bit earlier. X

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. Argh I'm so annoyed at myself for getting it. I should have home with my gut instincts and said no. Iv tried but they say that there has to be a doctor and a nurse for the procedure so there are few times for the apoointments. I might get phoning again as it really is an emergency as it's affecting my LO. I phoned the local family planning and sexual health clinic and they were even worse saying the next appointment was November! So stressful just wanting it out now and not being able to.

Do you have any ideas for what to do in the mean time until I get it out? It's really stressing me out hugely. I wish I could phone up nhs 24 and demand someone remove it! :-( xx

Sorry slid one more thing, how do I know if she is intaking enough to thrive? She has had wet nappies and one dirty one each day still. Is that a good sign?x

I think you need to call and explain to the receptionist on Monday, as it is pretty urgent if its affecting your milk supply! I'm sure your daughter will be fine in the meantime, just let her have access to the breast as much as possible and maybe top her up with expressed milk if you happen to have any. Wet nappies are the best sign, keep an eye on them and perhaps try a walk in centre if they decrease in number. I think 6 heavy wet nappies is the amount you should be getting x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->