Please help! GBS + test result, torn on what to do

A_K_and_K

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and have been planning a 100% natural birth (unfortunately at a hospital as no midwives in my province), but with no interventions, delayed cord clamping, we want to do placenta encapsulation, breastfeed, cloth diaper, etc etc.

Before I had the GBS swab, I did a bunch of research and discovered that the way the swab was done can vary, and if inserted slightly in the anus women would get more positive results. I also read about the risks of the antibiotics if you tested positive, and so when I went last week for the swab, I asked my doctor about how she did the swab. She said she inserted it into the vagina, then slightly into the anus and around the anus.

I told her I read that would lead to more positive results that aren't necessarily accurate. She said that's their policy. She also said I could refuse the antibiotics if I wanted. So I conceded and had the swab.

Well, we went in today and I was told it was positive. I feel completely torn and heartbroken. We do not want our taken taken away for any kind of monitoring, and only today she said if I refused the antibiotics then they would take our daughter to the NICU and we might not be able to go with her.

We want to be with our daughter at all times because we are refusing most of the newborn screening procedures, and I am terrified that they will 'do something' to her behind our backs.

I have read about the pros and cons of penicillin, and from everything I read it looks like not getting the antibiotics is the smartest thing to do. BUT, if I don't get them, they will take our daughter for monitoring.

If I DO get the antibiotics, then I risk huge problems for myself and for our daughter (anaphlyaxis for me, thrush, yeast infections, problems breastfeeding, plus giving our daughter antibiotics as she enters the world).

I was told if I do the antibiotics, they won't take her for monitoring.

I feel torn, have had scare tactics used, and...quite frankly, I just need some advice from you guys. Please help...:cry:

I had a hospital labor and I had a really high fever and my LO showed distress. I ended up having 4 days of antibiotics. at first i was mad, upset etc. but TBH they had no effect on me or her whatsoever. if it was necessary for us to be safe then I just didn't care. i never take antibiotics or other meds but when my LO was at stake I really just put myself aside.

babies can and still do die from complications due to GBS. i had wanted to refuse the GBS test but then after researching about risks to baby I realized I could never do it.

even if you don't get the experience you have planned getting a healthy baby is the best outcome

Hi there

Our situations are nearly identical. I'm due for my retest at 36 weeks, but have decided that unless the baby is at risk i.e. PROM, me having a fever during labour, or pre-37 week labour then I wont be having the antibiotics as like you I don't believe this is whats best for my baby and I.

Same as you, I've been given lots of scare tactics by my care provider, but have stuck to my decision. I even have to meet with my midwife's supervisor in a few weeks to justify myself before they will 'let me' go ahead without the antibiotics.

Here's a thread I started in the 3rd tri forum just for interest. Lots of really helpful ladies posted their views and stories on there and helped me come to my decision.

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...p-b-not-having-antibiotics-during-labour.html

I'm in the UK so unfortunately don't know what the policies are for where you live, but I've made it clear to my midwife that my baby is to stay with me after birth. At the moment the compromise we've agreed is that instead of having a home birth like originally planned, I give birth at the midwife led unit which is based within the hospital. Therefore if baby does start to show symptoms of GBS, then they can be transferred to the ward next door for treatment.

When I first said I was having a home/MLU birth despite testing positive for GBS, the answer was a definitive no from my care provider, however because I've stuck it out, and explained all the research I've done (i.e. not taken the decision lightly), they have compromised with me which is lovely and I feel really supported by them instead of battling.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring, but at the moment its much more positive than it was when i first got that dreaded letter letting me know I was GBS positive.

xx

Hi,

I chose the antibiotics and he was never removed from my side. If I was in your position, I would make the same decision again.

That being said, I cannot imagine that they will legally remove the baby from you in order to monitor at the NICU. As far as I am aware (in Canada at least), they can tell you it is policy/mandatory/MUST BE DONE but it is not *ILLEGAL* for you to refuse. Your baby is your baby and unless you are deemed mentally incompetent (which is not the same as just refusal based on a personal choice of course), then you can refuse consent to any procedure/action with your child.

Good luck with your decision.

That being said, I cannot imagine that they will legally remove the baby from you in order to monitor at the NICU. As far as I am aware (in Canada at least), they can tell you it is policy/mandatory/MUST BE DONE but it is not *ILLEGAL* for you to refuse. Your baby is your baby and unless you are deemed mentally incompetent (which is not the same as just refusal based on a personal choice of course), then you can refuse consent to any procedure/action with your child.

Good luck with your decision.

Aliss, that is an excellent point, just because the treatment is policy / mandatory / whatever doesn't mean you can't refuse it - any treatment, really.

AK&K, that's awful, I hate that feeling of being out of control but in this case be confident as it is your choice and no crazy scare tactics can change that unless you let it. As Aliss said, I really don't think it's legal for them to force your baby into NICU. Read all the consent forms very carefully before signing - sounds like you're going to do that anyway as you're declining some other stuff.

That's horrible that they're using such scare tactics on you! I also don't think that they can legally take your daughter away to the NICU if you don't consent. I'm not sure where to go for this, but is there any way you can find out the exact law before making your decision?

Did they not tell you that they would take your daughter to the NICU if you refused the antibiotics and were GBS positive? If not, it's awful that they would convince you to be tested by saying "you can refuse the antibiotics" and then after you're positive say "oh, by the way, if you decline them we'll take your daughter away." :growlmad:

I've read there are natural remedies to reduce the risk of GBS during labor - something about a saline rinse of some kind - so may be worth googling.

I had GBS with DD1 and have it again with my current pregnancy. I had antibiotics with DD1 and had no issues with anything- she nursed like a champ right from the start and neither of us ended up with yeast infections or any of the other nasty side effects typically associated with antibiotics. maybe it's in a different strength when it goes through the IV vs pills? Not sure but when i'm on pills for AB I always get some sort of yeast infection so I was pleasantly surprised. She didn't have anything, not even diaper rash.

You will get a lot of pushback from the docs if you choose to say no to bringing her to NICU, so it's really up to you - are you going to be up for the argument and will it be worth it for you? I know for us, we declined the heb B vaccine at birth with DD and they continually asked me if I was sure and the pediatrician came back in daily asking me and trying to convince me otherwise and we just kept telling them no and there was nothing they could do. This is a bit different but maybe one of the herbal treatments may make the difference?

Good luck.

Thx
Rae

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back