Please help me understand clomid timings etc

Bumblebeee

Mum to one & having fun!
Reaction score
So sorry if this is posted in the wrong board but after ttc for almost 3 years (pcos) and suffering an early loss in february, my fertility consultant has prescribed me clomiphene and a course of Norethisterone but wasn't very thorough when she explained it all to me because she said she was going to type it all up in detail and send it to me in a letter but it's been 9 days now and I haven't had any letter. I was just hoping somebody would have some experience with it and could advise me before I pester the offices monday and I am running out of time to wait as my course of Norethisterone finished thursday and I am just waiting for AF to be able to start on the clomid days 2-5. I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait for AF when Norethisterone finished thursday and I was given a blood test form for day 21 but will it be 21 days after starting/finishing the norethisterone, or the clomid or what?! I am so confused! Please help! :shrug: :cry:

Hi! From what I understand norethisterone is a type of birth control or progesterone given to sometimes jumpstart the shedding of your lining. Please make sure before you do anything else that you take a pregnancy test to make 100% sure you haven't conceived in the mean time.

It can take up to a week, sometimes a few more days than that, to get AF to start after that type of medicine. Once it does, you'll count your first full day of flow as CD1. It may be heavy or light, or unusual in other ways, but make sure you wait for the first full day of flow before starting the clomid.

Normal dosing days are CD 3-7 or 5-9. Taking it days 3-7 is said to encourage more follicles to develop, while taking it days 5-9 is more geared towards egg quality.

So you take the clomid, let's say days 3-7. You should start using OPKs around CD10 once a day to track ovulation. When I did clomid I started taking them twice a day around CD 12 to make sure I didn't miss my surge. You can ovulate anywhere between CD12-20 something. It's not an exact science.

The second you see egg quality cervical mucus you should start baby dancing, although a lot of people start DTD every other day starting on CD10 until ovulation is confirmed. I would do the latter if you are able to and your partner doesn't have any sperm issues.

Once you get a positive OPK you should ovulate within 24-36 hours. Other than charting or by ultrasound and bloodwork there's no way to tell for sure that you ovulated. This is where the 21 day blood test she gave you kicks in...

If you were to ovulate on or around day 14 of your cycle which is when most women normally ovulate, you would wait 7 days (meaning CD 21), to do your progesterone test. The best best BEST bet is to make sure you have ovulated and THEN wait 7 days before you do your day 21 progesterone test. It is a blood test that will tell you the level of progesterone in your body and either confirm or deny actual ovulation. I hope that makes sense.

If you are new to the idea of charting and this is your first cycle on Clomid, I HIGHLY recommend you get some OPKS and possibly chart your temps for this cycle. It will be so helpful in the future if you need the historical reference for a future cycle. It will also give you immense peace of mind to know when you ovulated and what signs your body gives you when you ovulate, establish a pattern of when you are ovulating on the clomid, and most importantly, if the dose you are taking is effective.

I am pretty sure you knew all of this already, but I figured I'd get as much info in here as I could in case someone else has any questions. I hope its helpful and I wish you all the best!

Before I forget, clomid can have some...side effects. It can definitely thin out your uterine lining, cause hot flashes that last your entire cycle, dry up your CM, cause mood swings, etc. I hope none of this happens to you, but I wanted to warn you just in case.

I would also ask your doctor if she can monitor you by ultrasound at least once or twice to see how well the clomid is working, check your uterine lining, etc. Perhaps even a CD12 ultrasound would show any follicles that are developing and make sure your lining isn't too thin.

I hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->