Please Help- Unsure if there's Hope?

zbabymamma

Reaction score
Hi everyone, apologies if I'm over/undersharing. First ever site I joined and first post ever but I need your help.

My LMP was on June 19th.
Took two positive pregnancy tests on July 22nd and confirmed via blood test at patient first.
1st doctor's appointment was on 7/31, ultrasound confirmed I was pregnant but too soon to date.
2nd doctor's appointment was on 8/14 showing I was 5w6d with a fetal heartbeat of 176bpm.

Admittedly, I had only seen this doctor because it was close to my office so I thought I should see if there was another OB I liked more. The following week I went to Georgetown University Hospital (it's one of the best in DC) when I thought I was 7 weeks, and the hospital gave me both a transvaginal and belly ultrasound- neither one of the techs could find the heartbeat! A doctor told me I had lost the pregnancy. I FREAKED out, left the hospital, and immediately went back to the first doctor who had all my labwork/previous scans/had detected the heartbeat. They did an ultrasound on me and showed I was 6w1d with 89bpm heartbeat. They were shocked that the other doctor couldn't find it. However, since the heartbeat dropped so much, they said that I need to prepare myself for a miscarriage.

My next follow up is September 12th. I don't know whether to prepare myself for a miscarriage or have hope- just in this weird limbo of not trying to be too depressed or too excited. I still have all my pregnancy symptoms (besides too much morning sickness- my mom didn't have it either neither did my grandma) with no cramping or bleeding whatsoever.

Has anyone ever had this happen or heard of fetal heartbeats starting high, dropping, and maybe climbing back up again?

well either way, will post you all on the 12th to help others who may run into this.

Sorry you are going through this, how confusing. I would say that at this stage, things are not looking promising and i would be preparing for the worst. Of course, i hope im wrong and that somehow your dates are somehow off but coupled with the reduced heartbeat it seems unlikely.

I would say it's not looking very good if there was a good few days between those ultrasounds and baby only grew by 2 days, early on I know the measurements can easily be off but the heartbeat shouldn't be dropping like that. Sorry this is happening, I do understand how awful it is not knowing and you can't help clinging to hope no matter what you try and tell yourself. The baby did have a heartbeat so you hadn't lost it yet and it ain't over till it's over so I pray for a miracle baby for you, I really hope the 12th comes around quickly for you. Try to keep busy.

Glad that you decided to join, I've found this site very helpful. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm wondering if they repeated your HCG? This is a pretty thorough article (I think) about early heart rate and miscarriage - one that does offer some hope! Still, miscarriage this early is not uncommon. I hope you have good support around you. Good luck!

https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/complications/miscarriage/fetal-heart-rate-and-miscarriage/

First off, I'm sorry you're going through this. I've been having a lot of scares myself and remain "cautiously optimistic" (more cautious than optimistic) about my pregnancy, so I've been there.

At this point, the drop in heart really isn't a great sign. Miracles DO happen, but in many cases, a large drop in heart rate can signal and impending miscarriage. Sometimes they take a while.

Please update and we'll respond when we can; I know it can be helpful to have someone to talk to when you're going through something like this, regardless of the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->