Please pray for little Kort. Updated on first page.

Beltane

Mother of 3 Boys!
Reaction score
Hi ladies!
A friend of mine that I grew up with just gave birth on Thurs. Little Kort is only 26 +5 weeks. Very worried..

Here is the story from Facebook.

"Its a Halloween Miracle!!! all hail the great pumpkin!!!
My water broke 10/21 and i was taken to Cooper University Hospital, they determined that i would have the baby with in hours... I had been there just 2 weeks before for bleeding and diagnosed with complete placenta previa, and would have to have a C section... when they did the ultrasound they found that the placenta had completely moved out of the way so that baby could get thru!!!
Kort Riley Stefanko was born @ 26 weeks 5 days, 3:03am 10/22/09 he weighed in at 2pounds 3ounces, and cried right away, they told me he thought he was under the mistaken impression that he was a full term baby. he is currently staying at Cooper, unfortunately they cannot tell me when he will be able to come home.
I lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion, i was just released tonight..."

Please light a candle and say a prayer for him!!!:cry:

=====================================================

Just wanted to let everyone know that Kort passed away last night. :cry:

Attachments

• kort1.jpg
    kort1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 36
  • kort2.jpg
    kort2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
Wot a cutie. He was a good weight for his gestation...also his eyes are open, how amazing!
Am not religious but will be thinking about your friends little one. Survival rates of premature babies are really good now...my little one survived and she was 26+3, she is doing really well.

Sounds like he is doing well! Will be thinking of him x

awwwwwww he is sweet, welcome to the world little Kort!

Try not to worry, he sounds strong and was a fabulous weight for his gestation-It is scary seeing him all wired up but it'll all help him getting his energy back-which in turn will help him grow stronger and feed better.

Wishing him all the luck in the world-keep us updated :hugs:

oh wow he's a wee cutie and his eyes are already open AMAZING! Like the girls have said he's a great weight for his gestation and sounds very healthy. Will keep little Kort and his family in my thought. Please keep us updated xx

wow kort is a great weight. my alex was born 27+4 at 2lb 4oz and they said this was a great weight for her gestation!

Wow he is a great weight when my dd was born at 28 wks she was only 2lbs! Im sure he will be just fine these premmies are fighters!

He sounds like a little fighter already, I hope he stays strong!

Awwwh bless him,
best of luck to little man and his family <3

:dust:

Xx

Wishing him all the best of health keep fighting little man and get out for xmas so santa can give you lots of presents!!!

best of luck to LO and congrats to mummy, i also had complete placenta previa and had mY LO via E LSCS 5 weeks early xxxxxx

they will be in my prayers xx

How is Kort Betlane? Any updates??

His Mother told me he has turned from a red color to a normal pink color now! Yay! She also said something about him being moved from the ventilator to an oscillator. Is that a step backwards? So far so good! Thanks for everyones kind words!

awwwwwww Beltane thats cracking news-well done little Kort!

The pink colour is a good sign! Iv no idea about the ventilator, oscillator thing but im sure someone will be along soon who will tell you :flower: Nkapbt (Lakai's mummy) will probably know.

Brilliant news. xx

Sounds like Kort is doing well :hugs:

I hate being the bearer of bad news...but an oscillator (or high frequency ventilator) is a step backwards or was considered one at the NICU where Lakai was.

This is what it is:

High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV)
High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation is characterized by high respiratory rates up to 15 hertz (900 breaths per minute). The rates used vary widely depending upon patient type and disease condition. In HFOV the pressure oscillates around the constant distending pressure (equivalent to the Positive End Expiratory Pressure [PEEP]).[technical?] Thus gas is pushed into the lung during inspiration, and then pulled out during expiration. HFOV generates very low tidal volumes that are generally less than the dead space of the lung. Tidal volume is dependent on endotrachial tube size, power and hertz. Different mechanisms[clarification needed] of gas transfer come into play in HFOV compared to normal mechanical ventilation. It is often used in patients who have hypoxia refractory to normal mechanical ventilation: severe ARDS, ALI and other oxygenation issues that cannot be corrected with conventional ventilation. In some neonatal patients HFOV may be used as the first-line ventilator due to the high susceptibility of the premature infant to lung injury from conventional ventilation.

Lakai was on one for two days. I am not sure all NICU's consider them to be a step backwards or not though. Some think they are a preventative type of ventilation and others think they are a last resort when the babies are not trying hard enough to override the normal ventilation.

In simple terms the machine does most of the breathing work. =/

Its good his colour has changed! That means his skin is developing nicely!! I think that was the best first step Lakai took, he was so red and see through at first. He looked to fragile!

Congratulations to mummy. He looks like he's ready for whatever this journey throws at him.

With the ventilation, their wee lungs sometimes need some help until they are strong enough to manage themselves. I wouldn't view it as a step forwards or backwards, just that he is getting the appropriate ventilation for his teeny tiny lungs.

I have everything crossed:hugs:

I am so sorry. RIP little Kort. xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"